Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts

Default 2 gb free on 8gb iPod touch?!?

Hello,

I might post a picture of the system settings on my sons 4gen iPod touch, but basically the problem is, that I'm trying to install a game called Tintin, but it won't let me, since there's "not enough free space".

Th game is about 845mb, and there is a little over 2gb free. I assume that the game might need 2-3 gb free space during installation, but the thing is.... There are almost no apps/games installed, no movies and music so how come there are only 2gb free space on an 8 gb iPod?

There were a lot of different games installed in the 4-5 months he's had it. Could that be the cause of the problem? (I'd expect something like that on one of my Android devices, but not on an iPod, lol!)

So... How do I reclaim the space that SHOULD be there (something like 6gb on an 8gb iPod, no?) and how do I get the game to be installed? (given enough free space, I assume that shouldn't be a problem though)
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts

So? Anybody?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,737 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You should restore the iPod as new. That should get your free space back to where it should be. Then you should be able to download the games and out some music on it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    I answer everything to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong, correct me.

If I helped you, hit thanks.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

go into settings > general > usage and see what app is taking up space.

i got the 8gb touch for my son a early 2011 and by the holidays it was full. he does have a ton of games and pictures though. i got him the 32gb for xmas, he's good now.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts

jon01 go into settings > general > usage and see what app is taking up space.

i got the 8gb touch for my son a early 2011 and by the holidays it was full. he does have a ton of games and pictures though. i got him the 32gb for xmas, he's good now.
    That's the thing... Added together, all of the apps and games take up maybe 3-400 mb... But it still says 1 gb available 5,9 gb full, or something like that...

And yes I have thought about buying a bigger iPod, there are some good sales right now. But it might not be the best time, with a brand new generation iPod coming some time this year
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: 2 gb free on 8gb iPod touch?!?

hi im frank and i'd li to get the 2 gig to my Ipod Touch.

Thank u

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default 2 gb free on 8gb iPod touch?!?

Quote Originally Posted by fbyadu View Post
    hi im frank and i'd li to get the 2 gig to my Ipod Touch.

Thank u
    Hmmm you seem confused. This isn't a thread to receive 2 gigs of memory.