Printing on iOS5 via Airprint Aactivator works once again through Win7!!

kmichalec

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Was searching and searching for months now for a solution to the fact that Apple (intentionally, in my opinion) changed the Airprint functionality in iOS5, so that using the Airprint Hacks to print to non Airprint printers through a PC would no longer work. I felt Apple did this on purpose, so that we'd conform to their restrictions of buy and using only a new AirPrint printer. Personally, when this happened, I felt that this was a big F U to consumers, as they intentionally made the iPad and iPhone less productive because I wasn't using their pre-approved printers. So, I made it a personal mission to try figure out a way to print from iOS5 again, as I could previously via iOS4 without issue.

Finally, I have found a solution, thanks to a few very smart people named Guimon & Takelei from the lasertekservice.com blog (Full link provided for reference: Finally, an iOS 5 AirPrint Activator for Windows and Mac |), and I wanted to pass this along to all those who were using this hack before, but couldn't after upgrading to iOS5.

Taken from their post, and modified slightly to included what I had to adjust to get it to work on my Win7 PC:

NOTE; Before beginning, make sure you have the Airprint files for windows which can be found here LINK, and make sure you have them unzipped in the C:\Program Files\AirPrint" folder on Win7 32bit or C:\Program File (x86)\AirPrint folder if you are Win7 64bit (create it if needed). I had it previously from when I was running it with iOS4, so I had the files, but you may need to download them if you don't already have them.

First , if you had installed Airprint before and if the Airprint Service is still in your Service list ( you can check by running the command: services.msc ) you need to unregister it .

to do so type at the command Prompt ( Make sure your run the command line as an administrator ) :

sc.exe delete Airprint

Now we are going to re-register the Airprint service but with a slight different Command option:

At the command line type the following 2 commands:

sc.exe create AirPrint binPath= ?C:\Program Files\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -s? depend= ?Bonjour Service? start= auto

FYI from Kevin - I had to use the following to get it to work for me on Win7 64 bit: C:\Windows\system32\sc.exe create AirPrint binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -s" depend= "Bonjour Service" start= auto DisplayName= "Apple AirPrint for Windows"

sc.exe start Airprint

at this point , you should now be able to see a list of your shared printers from your IOS 5 Device !

If you don?t see any lock icon next to your printer name, then you?re good to go !

If you see a lock icon next to the printer name, make sure you enable the guest account in windows

Once you enable the guest account , restart the Airprint service and Voila ! you now can print from your IOS 5 Device !

I want to make sure that it's known that I did not come up with this fix, and want to make sure that it's known that the people mentioned above are the ones that I got the fix from. Using this, I can successfully print from iOS5 again when my PC is on and running. Still not the perfect solution of printing directly to a Printer from an iPad/iPhone with iOS5, but good enough for now. I'm just passing it along to everyone else, so that people can once again print from iOS5 to a non AirPrint printer (at least through a PC) .:D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2