Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Default Toddler deleted video- Can I get it back?

So I have my toddler's ipod to automatically do icloud for backup...anyhow he deleted a video on his ipod that we took in disney and I can't seem to recover it. Any suggestions??

Please do not attack about my toddler having an ipod! I had tons of apps on my phone for him to use before my company required a password be set on my phone for security reasons and to get emails for work. Instead of loosing all those apps and making him mad, he got a used ipod touch for a gift. So please no judging. (Also should know my toddler is no typical toddler. He just turned three and is reading at a 1st grade level and writing WITH NO ADULTS PUSHING) I am truly just trying to save a video from my kids ipod that was dear to him. I wasn't thinking and didn't look to see if I could password protect deleting videos and photos off his device. So any help on trying to recover would be greatly appreciated! I am not sure when the video was deleted so I can't know for sure how long it's been gone. We have only been home a month from Disney so it's been since then.
    AKA: JennDillman
    Armed with a 32GB iPhone 4S and a 32GB iPad Wi-Fi
    Ipad carrying case: Skooba Netbook/Messenger bag
    Thanked by:
    tonyert (02-10-2014)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

iCloud backup or Photostream?

If it's simply doing an iCloud backup, restore from backup and you should have it back.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Assuming you have it set to backup photos and videos in the iCloud settings, you should be able to restore from backup and it'll be there. That depends on how long ago it was deleted however. If it was deleted a while ago, iCloud may have already backed up again without the video and overwritten the backup WITH the video. So you may be out of luck.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
    iPhone Beginner

I don't believe iCloud backs up videos taken. Only purchased videos from iTunes. As Alli said, your best bet would be to restore from iTunes, if you backed up to iTunes when you had the video. Good luck.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,568 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by happycamping View Post
    So I have my toddler's ipod to automatically do icloud for backup...anyhow he deleted a video on his ipod that we took in disney and I can't seem to recover it. Any suggestions??

Please do not attack about my toddler having an ipod! I had tons of apps on my phone for him to use before my company required a password be set on my phone for security reasons and to get emails for work. Instead of loosing all those apps and making him mad, he got a used ipod touch for a gift. So please no judging. (Also should know my toddler is no typical toddler. He just turned three and is reading at a 1st grade level and writing WITH NO ADULTS PUSHING) I am truly just trying to save a video from my kids ipod that was dear to him. I wasn't thinking and didn't look to see if I could password protect deleting videos and photos off his device. So any help on trying to recover would be greatly appreciated! I am not sure when the video was deleted so I can't know for sure how long it's been gone. We have only been home a month from Disney so it's been since then.
    Sounds like you're outta luck here. As someone else said, icloud would've backed up over it. icloud backups are basically snapshots of your phone at a given time..and you only have the latest. Like a balance sheet.

Even periodically backing up to itunes would fail you here for the same reasons unless you also import pics & video into a folder. You have to get those videos on your PC or dropbox or similar. is an app i use for this.

As for attacking the notion of a toddler having an ipod? Mine's had one since she was 2. I'd do it all over again.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It backs up videos taken, I have restored them before.

Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by MasterofPuppets View Post
    It backs up videos taken, I have restored them before.

My applogies sir, I got confused with Photostream.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Thanks folks! I think we are out of luck! That will teach me! HAHA - I'll give it a shot at getting data back once I am home with it again. I do think I backed it up on the computer when we returned in order to do the conversion to ios5.
    AKA: JennDillman
    Armed with a 32GB iPhone 4S and a 32GB iPad Wi-Fi
    Ipad carrying case: Skooba Netbook/Messenger bag
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,192 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes it would be in a back up(if you did one since video was shot) but not Photostream.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Mac File Recovery from iPod

You can easily do Mac file recovery from iPod by making use of Remo Recover (Mac) - Media Edition software. With the help of this software I had succeed in recovering deleted videos and photos from iPod. In case if you want to evaluate iPod recovery, download the demo version of this software.
    Last edited by garykelly; 05-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Toddler deleted video- Can I get it back?

can I get my videos back that I made once with my ipod. i m really in need of that video. please help.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Try the suggestions above.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

If you sync your iPhone before restoring, your iPhone's backup will be overwritten with whatever is available on your iPhone.
    If you restore before syncing, your iPhone will be restored from your iPhone's backup that is available from the last sync.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

Extract data from iTunes backup file or even restore them back to your iPhone. No jailbreak required.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by crystalde View Post
    Extract data from iTunes backup file or even restore them back to your iPhone. No jailbreak required.
    Thx, but how 'extract'? Extract using what platform/device? Using what app?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by happycamping View Post

Bigger question is why does a toddler have an iPod?
    iPhone Nanite

No the bigger question is y u haven't read the op be for replying
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by madeinhb View Post
    Bigger question is why does a toddler have an iPod?
    Unless you've lived in a cave in recent years, iDevices are great learning tools for toddlers. Most of my friends have brought iPads for their 2-5 years olds.
    "If you settle for less, you'll settle for anything."

Global Posts
    11,515 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Since the OP's question(s) are answered up the thread... and the conversation lagged until it was resurrected for a swipe at something that doesn't really address the topic at hand... thread closed.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates