built-in dictionary - language different than english

pivale

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
hi,

i don't know if this was discussed already, but i've tried to search for it and found nothing.
is there a way to change the built-in dictionary language? maybe to the same as the keyboard?

i'm struggling to change mine to portuguese, but i haven't found yet how to do it...

thank you.

br,
pivale

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
hi,

i don't know if this was discussed already, but i've tried to search for it and found nothing.
is there a way to change the built-in dictionary language? maybe to the same as the keyboard?

i'm struggling to change mine to portuguese, but i haven't found yet how to do it...

thank you.

br,
pivale

have you tried changing the keyboard and see if it changes? that would be the only way I think..

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I would assume it changes with the keyboard. I wouldn't think an american dictionary would work with a keyboard of another language. Since all I know is english, I have never tried this.

nycfly

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
yes. i type in italian on my phone and this works:

settings - general - keyboards - international keyboards - add portuguese. when you tap the globe button on the keyboard the phone will then switch into a portuguese keyboard/dictionary for autocorrect, ect.

Reactions: E_Brown and noaim

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
yes. i type in italian on my phone and this works:

settings - general - keyboards - international keyboards - add portuguese. when you tap the globe button on the keyboard the phone will then switch into a portuguese keyboard/dictionary for autocorrect, ect.

thanks for letting us know this now if the question ever comes up I will know :)

Michael Holland2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
There is a way to install multiple languages on the built in dictionary, I added Japanese and Spanish, but I don't remember how and I have been looking everywhere!!! It's driving me nuts!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Just add the keyboard for that language as described above by nycfly. This will also allow you to use the voice dictation feature to speak in that language for dictation. Super nice if you switch between multiple languages regularly.

rajala

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Switching the keyboard language works for spellchecking for BASIC iOS functions and Siri but NOT in APPS such as Pages or for real dictionary functions in APPS such as iBooks. I am specifically interested in finding a way of integrating an Italian dictionary. I assume that iPads sold in Italy must have these functions. Why would there not be a way for multi-lingual people to access or load alternate dictionaries? Does anyone know about this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Switching the keyboard language works for spellchecking for BASIC iOS functions and Siri but NOT in APPS such as Pages or for real dictionary functions in APPS such as iBooks. I am specifically interested in finding a way of integrating an Italian dictionary. I assume that iPads sold in Italy must have these functions. Why would there not be a way for multi-lingual people to access or load alternate dictionaries? Does anyone know about this?

Full Text Translator, Language Translation | Free Translations from Dictionary.com

Also, a quick search of the App Store for an Italian dictionary yielded several results.

Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 9.02.40 PM.png

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

Apple doesn't allow integration with 3rd party apps, so there's no way to look up words in a dictionary app from within iBooks. When you first set up your iPad you get to choose your language - only one. Apple is an American company, and you know the old joke:

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks one language?

American.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711