location based reminders - how do they work

mericolm

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I enabled location for reminders and told Siri to remind me to take the trash out when I got home.

I was never reminded once I got there. Am I doing something wrong?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I enabled location for reminders and told Siri to remind me to take the trash out when I got home.

I was never reminded once I got there. Am I doing something wrong?

there kind of hit or miss.. What happens is the device turns on your gps and when it hits the location it reminds you or its supposed to .. it doesn't always work well

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
just as an example.. in my contact card I put my address and I said "when I leave my house" "remind me to get soda"

I got in my car and the reminder didnt go off tell a mile down the road

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a similar problem here, apparently the GPS can't tell when I am home. I've tried setting reminders several times for both when I leave home and arrive, and they never go off.

mericolm

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I have made sure that my address is listed in my contact.
I have confirmed with Siri that she knows my address.
And I have clicked on my address in the contacts and my address clearly pulls up with GPS.

weird.

I will try the reminder for when I leave home today as I have only tried it when coming home.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
At my work, due to the building, cell and gps coverage is pretty bad. I won't get an alert to "when I leave work" until I'm about a mile or so away.

When I have it set for when I get home, it goes off as I pull into my garage.

I don't think it constantly polls gps coordinates either like an active gps app does, but some kind aid interval instead.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
At my work, due to the building, cell and gps coverage is pretty bad. I won't get an alert to "when I leave work" until I'm about a mile or so away.

When I have it set for when I get home, it goes off as I pull into my garage.

I don't think it constantly polls gps coordinates either like an active gps app does, but some kind aid interval instead.

I believe its constantly getting your gps location which is why the arrow stays on in the upper bar..

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I could never get it to work until I realized that I was using iCloud to sync remindrs with my iPad. Since my iPad was normally home, it didn't trigger a reminder when I got home.

I turned off the sync & it now works like a charm.

Do you have reminders syncing with multiple devices?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I could never get it to work until I realized that I was using iCloud to sync remindrs with my iPad. Since my iPad was normally home, it didn't trigger a reminder when I got home.

I turned off the sync & it now works like a charm.

Do you have reminders syncing with multiple devices?

This makes no sense as the iPad does not support location based reminders.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Also try to set your home address to a different location. EX. My house is on a pipe stem and if I use my home address it gets a little confused as to where I am. Then again all GPS devices get confused. I set the address to a house 5 down from me on the main road and it works every time perfectly.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone still having trouble with this? My location reminders don't always work when I leave home. Never when I arrive.

They're fine everywhere else.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73