Why does my old email become new again?

summitscout

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Have an iPhone 4s here on iOS 5.

When I delete a bunch of email from my inbox, iOS then refills it with older mail (shows 200 recent messages.)

The problem is that the notification center then shows this old mail coming in like it is new. It even lists older mail from last week before new mail from last hour. This is very distracting and confusing to have old mail marked read show in the notification center as new.

Does this bother anyone else? Is there a setting to avoid this?

Thanks!

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Only way I know of, aside from having push email (Exchange, Gmail, Hotmail, etc) is to log in to your web mail and mark everything read there. By default, I believe, iOS does not mark items as read on the server itself unless you use one of the Exchange methods.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
When I delete a bunch of email from my inbox, iOS then refills it with older mail (shows 200 recent messages.)

Was the older mail ever opened in any location (laptop, etc)? Or is it just sitting unread (and therefore still marked as new) in your inbox?

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You'll need to play around with the settings on your server and iPhone to get it to display the way you like. I found it was hard to mark my email as deleted (it wouldn't actually go into the trash folder on the server) until I changed the settings. Maybe try marking your email as read on the server and moving them into folders so you don't have to look at them all the time on the phone?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods