Mail,Contacts,Calendar. Ideal setup?

anon(4742831)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I am a gmail user, use google calendars (and shared google calendars with wife), and my contacts are all in gmail. What is the ideal setup for me on iPhone?

Currently I have Gmail setup for mail. And set up google (ms exchange) for contact calendar and reminders. Do I want to be using caldav at all?

Hoagie5252

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I got the right link you will have to go here after to enable the rest of the share calendars
Google.com/calendar/iphoneselect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Problem for me with Exchange was I had a hard time deleting email to the trash folder, Ending up leaving it as a regular Gmail account.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Really it works for me perfect. And I delete a lot of mail.

if your set up as exchange when you delete a message it actually just archives it and you can still view that mail in "all mail" in your gmail account..

deleting doesnt actually delete to trash bin

Hoagie5252

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
if your set up as exchange when you delete a message it actually just archives it and you can still view that mail in "all mail" in your gmail account..

deleting doesnt actually delete to trash bin

Thanks for the info I didn't know that. I never use the all mail tab.

B

bonesb

Personally and for my company, I've gotten away from using Google's calendars and contacts. There is a bit of misinformation in this thread, mainly that Google uses "Exchange" - they don't, but implement an an adaptation of Exchange ActiveSync (called Google Sync) - which isn't "Exchange". And, if you're going to use the EAS settings, you'd be missing out on Google Calendar's multiple notifications (up to two in iOS) and calendar color mapping present in the Gmail account type. Google's Gmail set up offers different benefits - in how iOS handles mail and calendars.

I have my work account (Google Premier Apps, which isn't too different than the free version or Gmail accounts on iOS) set up for *both" Gmail and Exchange (AS/Google Sync), and have opted to use EAS for email and Gmail for calendaring. I use iCloud for contacts, with my rationale explained deeper in another thread - Google Contacts and iOS are just a train wreck waiting to happen. I get email quickly and can push multiple folders via EAS, can set up multiple notifications in calendar (though i/we have moved calendaring over to iCloud for now). I'm not knocking Google's product - I've paid through the nose to try out their suite, and I'd suggest not relying on synching your iOS devices to Google's servers for contacts.