Problem with custom ringtones/text alerts

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Not sure which forum this belongs in but I'll start here since I started having problems after updating to iOS 5.0.1. I had purchased several ringtones from iTunes back when I was using iOS 4. When I got my new iPhone 4s and switched to iOS 5, they all transferred with no problems. I also noticed that these ringtones could now also be used for text alerts. When I went to settings>sounds>ringtones, they all showed up and were selectable. When I went to settings>sounds>text alerts, they all showed up and were selectable. :D I could also use them to customize my contacts list sounds. :D After I upgraded to 5.0.1, not all of them showed up under text alerts. :eek: Also some of them played, and some of them didn't, but all worked under ringtones. :confused: I've worked with Apple support, went to the Genius Bar, even did a full restore as a new phone, and still haven't resolved it. :confused: As of now, all my iTunes ringtones show up under settings>sounds>ringtones, but nothing shows up under settings>sounds>text alerts. :mad: No one at Apple seems to have an answer. :( I should add that all the tones that came preinstalled work just fine, it's only the onse that I got from iTunes. Any help greatly appreciated.

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I know is one time, I believe back in 5.0 beta 3 or 4. I had all of my ringtones show up as well. Once I clicked them, some would play and others wouldn't. I know some songs of mine were less than 30 seconds and some were 40. The ones that were 30 played, the ones that are 40 wouldn't play. Which is why some people use their old BlackBerry text tones.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
interesting.. i see that same issue..

I noticed also that in the sounds list they are truly listed differently. you cant pick any ringtone for an alert..

and they are listed separately in iTunes. Could the alert be a different file "format"?

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
ok thanks to fellow member The Real Spiral_ouT in the JB forum...

the alert file is a .caf - which is an .aiff file (just change the extension to .caf)

but.. i cannot seem to figure out how to get that into the ringtones.....confusing!!

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
wait a minute... the RINGTONES are available to select in the alerts. you have to scroll down!

i feel stupid.

so just import like before as a ringtone (M4A to M4R) then add to the phone

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
wait a minute... the RINGTONES are available to select in the alerts. you have to scroll down!

i feel stupid.

yes this is how you do it...

but the op is having problems seeing them in the correct places.. I also know of a sprint user that ringtones only show up under ringtones and not text tones

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Well, I am on Sprint, FWIW. But I did get an answer from Apple iTunes support today:

"Kylie here from the iTunes/Mac App Store Support Team. I understand that you have been unable to locate your ringtones in "Setting>Sounds>Text Tone" in the iTunes Store. Being a customer myself, I can appreciate how you must be looking forward to having this resolved and it would be my pleasure to address this today.

Rich, Apple is currently working toward a resolution for the issue you have reported. You will receive an email after the matter has been investigated and further information is available.

Thank you very much for your patience, Rich. I hope you have a great day."

So it seems that Apple is aware of this problem. One thing that should concern them is that all my custom ringtones were purchased off iTunes. Oh, and one more thing, they originally worked under the initial iOS5 release that was on my phone. It was only after the 5.0.1 update that it became a problem.

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the stock ringtones are available in settings>sounds>alerts. But the custom ringtones that I got from iTunes only show up when I look for them in settings>sounds>ringtones. They don't show up in the settings>sounds>alerts.

i feel stupid.

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Stock alerts and ringtones are in the correct places. In face I can access both of them from either >ringtones or >text tone. Only the ones downloaded from iTunes show up only under >ringtones, not under >text tones.

yes this is how you do it...

but the op is having problems seeing them in the correct places.. I also know of a sprint user that ringtones only show up under ringtones and not text tones

mitzimiller

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same Problem. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Alright, I think I've figured out the fix. If you go in and UNCHECK "sync ringtones", sync your phone, then immediately re-check "sync ringtones" and sync again, they show up. Who knows why, but it worked for me. Good luck.

mrsbish225

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure which forum this belongs in but I'll start here since I started having problems after updating to iOS 5.0.1. I had purchased several ringtones from iTunes back when I was using iOS 4. When I got my new iPhone 4s and switched to iOS 5, they all transferred with no problems. I also noticed that these ringtones could now also be used for text alerts. When I went to settings>sounds>ringtones, they all showed up and were selectable. When I went to settings>sounds>text alerts, they all showed up and were selectable. :D I could also use them to customize my contacts list sounds. :D After I upgraded to 5.0.1, not all of them showed up under text alerts. :eek: Also some of them played, and some of them didn't, but all worked under ringtones. :confused: I've worked with Apple support, went to the Genius Bar, even did a full restore as a new phone, and still haven't resolved it. :confused: As of now, all my iTunes ringtones show up under settings>sounds>ringtones, but nothing shows up under settings>sounds>text alerts. :mad: No one at Apple seems to have an answer. :( I should add that all the tones that came preinstalled work just fine, it's only the onse that I got from iTunes. Any help greatly appreciated.

It wont let you use the ringtone for a text if it is longer than 30 seconds. I figured it out and then adjusted my times through my itunes. And here is a link to make free ringtones with your own music on itunes. :)
Pictures / how to create a iPhone ringtone using songs, step by step.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh