Thinking of Switching from Android

mscalero

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

But before I do, I had a few questions about IOS...

1. I like to have to ability to completely Hide applications, so that they are no longer accessible. I can do this in Android using Launcher Pro. Is this possible in iOS?

2. I sometimes have a few ex girlfriends which call me at odd hours. Android has a built in ability with in Contacts to "automatically send to voicemail" for certain users. I can simply check this off once and that user will always go directly to voicemail when contacting me, the phone will not ring at all. Is this possible in iOS?

3. For a similar case above, I also get random text messages at odd hours. I use a third party application for text messages called Handcent on Android, this has a "Blacklist" feature which, if a user is blacklisted, their texts will be received by my device but the device will not make any type of notification, and when opening Handcent the texts will not be visible, unless I go into certain options and, by using a password, I can reveal by blacklisted users and their texts. Is this possible in iOS, or by a third party texting app, and can the default texting app be hidden?

I'd like to be able to do these things with out jail breaking.

Please let me know if these features are available. I am considering a 4S on Verizon. I had a Droid Bionic briefly but I returned it to wait for the Galaxy Nexus, the pure Android Ice Cream Sandwich device. I feel as if I may miss the 4G LTE speeds when jumping to the 4S, although I am not sure since while I had my Bionic I mostly left 4G turned off since it was such a battery killer, however it was nice to enable it for the boost in speed occasionally.

At the same time I didn't really ever NEED the LTE speeds. Only once did I Gtalk video chat on the train over 4G LTE and it worked great. I heard you can only use the Facetime feature over Wifi, is this true?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
i'll make it short and sweet,

as far as i know NONE of these features are avaliable on the stock os

It would be nice though....

dgalanter

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from a rooted/rommed Droid Incredible to a 16GB iPhone 4s. Here are my thoughts:

Hello,

1. I like to have to ability to completely Hide applications, so that they are no longer accessible. I can do this in Android using Launcher Pro. Is this possible in iOS?

No, but I like the same feature. I just created a folder and stuck all the apps I didn't want to see in there.

2. I sometimes have a few ex girlfriends which call me at odd hours. Android has a built in ability with in Contacts to "automatically send to voicemail" for certain users. I can simply check this off once and that user will always go directly to voicemail when contacting me, the phone will not ring at all. Is this possible in iOS?

Not that I see. There may be an app for that. :)

3. For a similar case above, I also get random text messages at odd hours. I use a third party application for text messages called Handcent on Android, this has a "Blacklist" feature which, if a user is blacklisted, their texts will be received by my device but the device will not make any type of notification, and when opening Handcent the texts will not be visible, unless I go into certain options and, by using a password, I can reveal by blacklisted users and their texts. Is this possible in iOS, or by a third party texting app, and can the default texting app be hidden?

I see a few in app store but don't know how well they work.

Please let me know if these features are available. I am considering a 4S on Verizon. I had a Droid Bionic briefly but I returned it to wait for the Galaxy Nexus, the pure Android Ice Cream Sandwich device. I feel as if I may miss the 4G LTE speeds when jumping to the 4S, although I am not sure since while I had my Bionic I mostly left 4G turned off since it was such a battery killer, however it was nice to enable it for the boost in speed occasionally.

At the same time I didn't really ever NEED the LTE speeds. Only once did I Gtalk video chat on the train over 4G LTE and it worked great. I heard you can only use the Facetime feature over Wifi, is this true?

True. It's nice, too. Since I have Wifi both at home and at work, I don't mind.

I am also on Verizon and I have to say while I miss widgits a bit, and the ability to change they keyboard, I DO like my new iPhone.

--Dave

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Mike

Basically without jail breaking out can't do any of this things. Also FaceTime does require wifi, unless your jailbroken. so basically you can't do any of the things you want without jail breaking. The hide apps isn't necessary, because you can just put the unused apps in a folder, and put it on a blank screen.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Basically without jail breaking out can't do any of this things. Also FaceTime does require wifi, unless your jailbroken. so basically you can't do any of the things you want without jail breaking. The hide apps isn't necessary, because you can just put the unused apps in a folder, and put it on a blank screen.

this is correct there is no way to do what you want on ios.. hiding apps in a folder is good though.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Mike

I have the perfect solution for your first two issues isnt an app it's called airplane mode and at night you turn it on so u dont calls and texts a wired hours.

For the rest of the time you could just change your number.

As other ppl have said you can "hide" your unused apps in folders.

If you never really used 4G, I wouldn't worry about missing it. If you are concerned about 4G on an iPhone, just stay contractless and stay the course until the next iteration of the iPhone as it will probably have 4G.

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont think you receive missed calls after you turn airplane mode on but you def get the text messages

Correct, you won't get the missed calls, because your phone only registers calls that came into your phone. If they left a VM you would get that. And you will get your texts when you leave airplane mode.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If you choose sprint you can integrate with google voice. That will give you the ability to filter calls on a per caller basis, for instance creating a list of particular contacts that can only call during the hours you set up, etc. I think you can also send them directly to voice mail if you want.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want to get involved with the endless cycle of jailbreaking and really need these features that you mentioned here, you are better off sticking with Android.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Every android I have ever played with I've hated... To each their own but come over to the dark side and give it a shot

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Every android I have ever played with I've hated... To each their own but come over to the dark side and give it a shot

Like you said, to each their own, however, I don't see the point in trying iOS if the OP doesn't want to jailbreak and needs these features that are already available with Android out of the box.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Like you said, to each their own, however, I don't see the point in trying iOS if the OP doesn't want to jailbreak and needs these features that are already available with Android out of the box.

I agree with this.. every user has different needs and some phones just dont supply those needs.. thats why we have options

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

I agree.. But some things are as simple as turn your ringer off lol just saying more of my .02 worth lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW