Post battery screenshots 5.0.1

house1999

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Being the nerd that I am, I thought I would collect some data on battery % vs usage time, chart it in Excel, and fit it to a trend line. Here a little background on the settings:

• iOS 5.0.1 AT&T iPhone 4S 64GB
  • WiFi On
  • Bluetooth On
  • Weather and Stock Notification Widgets On
  • Facebook Push Notifications All On
  • Location Services Cell Network Search On
  • Location Services Compass Calibration On
  • Siri On
  • Siri Raise to Speak Off
  • iCloud + 2 Exchange Accounts

11-14-11
  • Emails set to fetch every 15 minutes
  • 9:00 - 17:00 in office signal about 3 bars, using only 3g
  • 17:30 - 23:00 in home using WiFi
  • Phone shutdown itself due to low battery

11-15-11
  • Emails set to push
  • 7:30 - 11:00 out and about, listened to about 45 min of music streaming to bluetooth, using only 3g
  • 12:30 - 17:00 in office signal about 3 bars, using only 3g
  • 18:00 - 22:30 in home using WiFi
  • Phone shutdown itself due to low battery

Last edited:

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It probably depends on how long you took to type it. It seems excessive to me.

Your reply cracked me up! I, of course, started imagining different ways of tying that would take long enough to burn 5% battery! :D And today the percentage is staying steady with no drop while typing this reply.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
5.0.1 is so inconsistent I got 3 days between charges and now 1 1/2 days I'm at 54% and dropping fast with less usage??

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Haha, its not promising start to the day when your phone is plugged in charging and you can see the battery life going down with out running anything.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
5.0.1 is so inconsistent I got 3 days between charges and now 1 1/2 days I'm at 54% and dropping fast with less usage??

Some people think I'm nuts but I believe that weather plays a roll in how well your phone is picking signal. If the weather is crappy, it's gonna have to work harder to maintain a decent signal. So, are you having crappy weather? Rain, cloudy, storming. Someone also mentioned maybe it could be a common 3rd party app (I forgot where I saw that suggestion). Also depends if you close down your apps in the background, how many push notifications you have going.

Just a few ideas:)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Some people think I'm nuts but I believe that weather plays a roll in how well your phone is picking signal. If the weather is crappy, it's gonna have to work harder to maintain a decent signal. So, are you having crappy weather? Rain, cloudy, storming. Someone also mentioned maybe it could be a common 3rd party app (I forgot where I saw that suggestion). Also depends if you close down your apps in the background, how many push notifications you have going.

Just a few ideas:)

Here's the thing my first test was Sat, Sun,Mon and Monday night was when I needed to charge. I was at 42% Monday morning and took the same 1 hour train trip home and was only in the 30s by night time after some tweeting and email at home. Now Tueday and today I'm at 43% and dropping, the weather is the same and the usage is actually less. On Sunday the screen which is the biggest draw of power was on for an hour and 1/2 straight. If the difference were very close I would say weather, etc but from 3 days to 1 day is crazy! I'm gonna reboot the sucker and charge it tonight with the power off and see what happens.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I feel like I've had a drop in battery life after the update... it's hard to recreate the same exact activities each day to truly know though..I'll just keep an eye on my usage..

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing my first test was Sat, Sun,Mon and Monday night was when I needed to charge. I was at 42% Monday morning and took the same 1 hour train trip home and was only in the 30s by night time after some tweeting and email at home. Now Tueday and today I'm at 43% and dropping, the weather is the same and the usage is actually less. On Sunday the screen which is the biggest draw of power was on for an hour and 1/2 straight. If the difference were very close I would say weather, etc but from 3 days to 1 day is crazy! I'm gonna reboot the sucker and charge it tonight with the power off and see what happens.

:) great, hopefully the reboot will kill what ever may have been running in the background, and after a fresh charge you'll be back up to par.

Oh another thing i thought of also you could try, let the battery run down completely till it shuts itself down and then do a whole fresh charge. That may help too !

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
6027f282-4af4-efa6.jpg

Here is my most recent one. Stand by time is really good but I used to get better usage with 5.0. Wish I did not upgrade? When 5.02 comes out, I will wait before I upgrade.

Last edited:

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's mine today. It's not as good as it normally is do I may need to do a reset for network settings or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
:) great, hopefully the reboot will kill what ever may have been running in the background, and after a fresh charge you'll be back up to par.

Oh another thing i thought of also you could try, let the battery run down completely till it shuts itself down and then do a whole fresh charge. That may help too !

Well the test starts again today,lugged it in to charge and turned it off left it charging all night. So it's been shut off killing any rogue processes. I'm on my way to work with 100% so lets see how fast it drops. I've also decide to remove any apps that haven't been updated since iOS 4 which is only Osfoora HD. Personally I don't beleive in that charge it up run it down, I'm not saying it isn't true I just don't beleive it. I think it's a cop out like people saying "start as new". I also use my iPad hardcore anyway I never charge before 10% battery life and I usually charge it atleast once a month with the power off and my apps cleared. Thanks for the suggestion tho :D just adding my bias to it.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Well the test starts again today,lugged it in to charge and turned it off left it charging all night. So it's been shut off killing any rogue processes. I'm on my way to work with 100% so lets see how fast it drops. I've also decide to remove any apps that haven't been updated since iOS 4 which is only Osfoora HD. Personally I don't beleive in that charge it up run it down, I'm not saying it isn't true I just don't beleive it. I think it's a cop out like people saying "start as new". I also use my iPad hardcore anyway I never charge before 10% battery life and I usually charge it atleast once a month with the power off and my apps cleared. Thanks for the suggestion tho :D just adding my bias to it.

:)np, i like to help when i can as i learn more and more along the way. We all have our methods and things that we're set on doing or trying out, to try to solve what ever issue is going on ATM. What solution works for some, may not work for others.

Either way, we always find what works best for ourselves and sharing that with others at times helps benefit them as well:)

:)Once again, good luck with your testing today. Hopefully you'll get better results !!

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Here is my screen shot from last night. it took another hour before the phone shut itself down while surfing the internet.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
:)np, i like to help when i can as i learn more and more along the way. We all have our methods and things that we're set on doing or trying out, to try to solve what ever issue is going on ATM. What solution works for some, may not work for others.

Either way, we always find what works best for ourselves and sharing that with others at times helps benefit them as well:)

:)Once again, good luck with your testing today. Hopefully you'll get better results !!

I beleive I have actually isolated my problem. The only time I ever browse the web on my iPad is during my train rides. So I went into Location settings and noticed that Safari was one of the apps using location. I'm on 3G and I'm constantly moving between three cities on the way to work. I don't need the location on Safari so I turned the option off. I've rebooted and it's currently charging to full and I'll test my theory later. My very first initial test was on the weekend so no web browsing. We'll see :D I'll let you guys know.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I beleive I have actually isolated my problem. The only time I ever browse the web on my iPad is during my train rides. So I went into Location settings and noticed that Safari was one of the apps using location. I'm on 3G and I'm constantly moving between three cities on the way to work. I don't need the location on Safari so I turned the option off. I've rebooted and it's currently charging to full and I'll test my theory later. My very first initial test was on the weekend so no web browsing. We'll see :D I'll let you guys know.

Ahhhhhhh !! Maybe that could be the culprit !! I have that setting OFF in my location also, and I've never turned it on.

Ok, so hopefully that was it then !! I'd like to here your update on how that turned out if it solved your problem:)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods