Visit site
If anyone is wondering here is the changelog from CNET:

"This update contains improvements and other bug fixes including:

Fixes bugs affecting battery life

Adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad

Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud

Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation
"

None of these are really reasons for me to upgrade, so I'll be staying on 5.0. There was also mention of an autocorrect menu and a panorama mode in the camera app that were pulled before release. These may be in the next iteration of iOS 5.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My husband's 4S had an alert that told him that the update was available and allowed him to update from the phone. I had to go into software updates on my 4S (it told me to plug my phone in to a power source first) and then it had to download the update before installing it.

Anyone know why one phone's update was automatic and the other wasn't?

George 4s

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
This post was not so much to mention that iOS was released but rather where to find it on your phone...again for those who DID NOT KNOW. You two (ghostface147 and kch50428) are obvious the all mighty know it alls and have nothing better to do then bash other trying to help. Sit down!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This post was not so much to mention that iOS was released but rather where to find it on your phone...again for those who DID NOT KNOW. You two (ghostface147 and kch50428) are obvious the all mighty know it alls and have nothing better to do then bash other trying to help. Sit down!

If someone DID NOT KNOW - it would pretty much have to be not knowing by choice, because information & direction is/was readily available if one wanted to look for it before popping off a new thread.... not feelin' your ire. And your admonition to "Sit down!" comes with an implied "Shut up"... methinks that the physician should heal them-self.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Whoa. Hey. Hold on. Back up here.

Guys, we have a new member, excited about his update, trying to help others out, and we're ragging on him?

George -- Thanks for sharing man. Hugely appreciated. I really wish we had more new members jumping in, on all forums, with helpful tips. Please keep it up, we're happy to have you here!

Every time a question is asked, it's in a slightly different way and inspired different answers, from different people. Also keep in mind, not every member goes to every forum. For some people, the device they have is the only forum they ever go to. That's fine. To each their own.

Reactions: BrindawithanI

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
it's so irritating that I have to use wi-fi or plug into iTunes to get the update. I have DSL at home, that's going to take a good hour and a half just to download the update and then I have to install it. I don't know anywhere I can get wi-fi. Why can't I just get that 55MB update using iTunes? Anyone else annoyed by this?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
No, we don't like to combine threads because a) it often causes problems on the backend, b) it's a terrible user experience.

You come to a forum, you post something, and suddenly it's moved, combined (often poorly) with other stuff, and nothing makes sense any more.

Every thread is valuable. Every discussion is important. Each one generates different opinions from different members.

Just be nice to people, be productive in threads, and if you don't like one, move on to another and let the people who do enjoy it have the space, time, and respect to enjoy it.

Now enough with the meta, back to 5.0.1...

Reactions: doublebullout

George 4s

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rene for your positive support!

I'm glad to see that my post has indeed helped out a few folks. 06FG2, BLiNK and the thanks received. Thanks guys!

@LVMHgirl, My phone and my wife's phone did not alert us to the update. The other night I was just curious so I went into Setting>General>Software Update and noticed the update :eek:

Just wanted to share.;)

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks rene I have been trying to say that multiple threads dont hurt the forum for a while... it actually leads to more search results at least in my opinion.

06FG2

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If someone DID NOT KNOW - it would pretty much have to be not knowing by choice, because information & direction is/was readily available if one wanted to look for it before popping off a new thread.... not feelin' your ire. And your admonition to "Sit down!" comes with an implied "Shut up"... methinks that the physician should heal them-self.

I know i'm still new here, and I don't want to step on any ones toes..I've been watching the 5.0.1 thread in the iPhone forum, but when it gets pushed a few pages back i forget about it.

This is the only apple forum i'm on, my first iPhone..I came from Android, and when they say there's an update it'll be in the next few months. This was the only thread i saw saying it was open to public. Other then that, I'm sure I would have never found out.

I'm sure some people come here to ONLY look in the iPhone forum, much like me.

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
it's so irritating that I have to use wi-fi or plug into iTunes to get the update. I have DSL at home, that's going to take a good hour and a half just to download the update and then I have to install it. I don't know anywhere I can get wi-fi. Why can't I just get that 55MB update using iTunes? Anyone else annoyed by this?
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to ask. You can use iTunes to download the update. Plug in your device to sync, and if the update is not presented just click "Check for Update." Are you wanting to have iTunes download the update separately without a device connected? If so, I agree that would be nice. You could search for a "bootleg" copy of the update on the web, I suppose. I did that to get the 5.0 GM a week before it dropped. HTH.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234