5.0.1 is public

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
The only iOS device that I will upgrade is my wife's original iPad so she can get multitasking gestures. My battery life is fine on everything else & we don't talk with an Australian ascent. :D

We'll I guess I lied. I did update all my devices, I haven't noticed any battery change (either good or bad). The reason I did upgrade was to fix that HUGE issue where apps can take control over the phone and I read that 5.0.1 fixed that issue.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The person who asked if you can upgrade your iPhone 4 you will need to switch the sim from the 4s to the 4. It does nothing to your account. Now I can't remember if the phone was CDMA if it is I apologize.

The people who want to be able to do the OTA over data you must not know how much slower data is than wifi. You must keep in mind Apple is not like competitors they want the experience to always be good. So the chance that someone using 3G that is dropping out or is weak will get highly frustrated means they wont turn on OTA over data until LTE/4G is standard and maybe not even then.

I have been on TiPb for awhile now and I've noticed an increase in bickering, what is the deal? it's a forum people can post whatever they want if it doesn't pertain to the thread move past it. I didn't see a big deal with the post I've done some of those myself. *shakes head*

OutSpoken

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Great, now that 5.0.1 is released, maybe we'll finally see that untethered jailbreak. I'm hoping thats what the DevTeam were waiting on.

Update:

I've just read on twitter, there won't be an unthehered 5.0.1 JB anytime soon, as the bug 0xcharlie found has understandably been patched in the latest release. So hang on to 5.0 if you plan to JB unthethered.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
completely the opposite of my message, its called making your device more efficient. Why would you need the screen to light up every second for a minute at the time when your not able to use (i.e. sleep or just away from the phone) and also if you don't travel, why do you need the device to check your time zone consistently. Think before you reply next time

I used to think like that I would turn my screen to the dimmest that I could tolerate and I would be fussy about how long did my battery last. Then I said to myself I bought this device to use for it's functionality, I paid alot of money to get this impressive screen and then I gimp it by turning the brightness all the way down. So I know turn it up as bright as it goes and when the battery drains I plug it in to charge. I paid for this impressive screen, the fast processor, the ability to set reminders and all the other things that the OS brings.

So what BLiNK is saying is turning that all off is like buying a Lamborghini and then saying well I can't afford to buy gas for this 12 cylinder engine so lets take that out and put in a 4 cylinder from a Jetta. Then why not buy the Jetta in the first place?

Reactions: Rodville

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Total update time on my iPad1 was less that 15 minutes OTA/wifi. :)

(also had some streaming audio & my iTunes/iPhone update going on at the same time...)

I had a local radio station playing on mine while I updated. Entire update process using iTunes from download to reboot was < 10 minutes. I'd still be updating if I tried this with my BB. :)

bwood021174

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just updated to 5.0.1. through iTunes, took about 10-12 minutes.

I'm letting my phone charge to 100% and will track the battery from there to see if the supposed battery issue fix is true to the update.

Doing the same, charging now. Although I was really not having bad battery issues, or maybe being an iPhone newb, I just didn't know I was. Full charge was lasting full day with all notifications on, everything running. We will see how the weekend goes, just had the phone since Wednesday afternoon, By the way, I did update through iTunes over home wifi, was quick, didn't time it, but quick.

golfnut

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I read up on how to do an OTA on the front page but my "general" does not have a "software update" tab..what do I do? I have an IP4 on 4.3..
Kinda new here..thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I read up on how to do an OTA on the front page but my "general" does not have a "software update" tab..what do I do? I have an IP4 on 4.3..
Kinda new here..thanks.

OTA came with iOS 5.0 - you'll need to hook up to a computer with iTunes and upgrade that way.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I was a little concerned about updating my 3GS Touch at home, on slowish DSL, but it only took 12 minutes. A _much_ better experience than any previous update!

I'm really not seeing an improvement in battery life with the 4S. It's very difficult to leave it unplugged, since everywhere I go has an iPhone charger within reach! Last night it went from 100% to 25% in about 5 hours, of being on, wifi and cell, 80% brightness, intermittent e-mail and WWF use, location services on, time zone off, checking four e-mail addys every 15 minutes. It seems a little better this morning, having gone from 100% at about 7AM to 72% at 10:30, same usage.

That said, the battery life issue never comes up for me unless I'm gone for a whole day at Disney or out shooting or something.

Edit: I was down to 8% at 3PM, so it lasted 8 hours of being on, all the time, with light use. I couldn't stand it any more and had to charge!

Last edited:

anon(4742831)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
5.0.1, FAIL on apple. Still battery issues. Back to the drawing board, apple (and for those that say no there isn't, read the web, documented all over the place)

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So far I like this update. Battery life hasn't significantly improved, but I do find load times for apps have improved a bit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR