Cannot send email from device because "(insert Account Name) does not allow relaying"

BrockS.

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to Apple after having Blackberries for the last few years. Like it so far but have a problem that can very well be a deal breaker. My business email account will not send emails from the phone. I get a message stating that the email could not be sent because the recipient's "server does not allow relaying". However, should I send an email to the same address through my personal account, no problems. I did not have this issue with BB, so I'm wondering if I need to change some settings somewhere. I do not have any problems receiving messages. The only difference between the two in that regard is my business account has to "fetch" while Yahoo will push. My business account is through Compuserve (AOL) and personal is with Yahoo. Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

Hope I posted in the right place. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I did search but didn't come across anything. Also, I'm running iOS5 on a Sprint iPhone 4

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you have the correct smtp settings for your work account. You'll get that error message if you are replying from one email address, but using the smtp belonging to a different account.

Reactions: BrockS.

BrockS.

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've checked the settings, which were wrong, however, I'm still getting the same message: "The recipient [insert contact] was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying" Any other suggestions?

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've checked the settings, which were wrong, however, I'm still getting the same message: "The recipient [insert contact] was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying" Any other suggestions?

ISP's do this to prevent spam. I had this type of message on all my devices from time to time. Not specific IPhone issue. In the outgoing mails server settings, make sure you have the correct SMTP.. set. Type in your user name and password and for authentication set "password". Also make sure SSL is set for off. That works for me on my POP accounts. Let us know if it works.

Reactions: BrockS.

BrockS.

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation. Entering the password and username in the settings fixed everything. Since "optional" was present under those two areas int the SMTP settings, I did not think it required.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation. Entering the password and username in the settings fixed everything. Since "optional" was present under those two areas int the SMTP settings, I did not think it required.

Glad that it helped. I came from the BB Storm to the IPhone in February and I love it. Best of luck to you.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

Happy to see you got this worked out.. emails settings can be some of the most finicky things out there...

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've checked the settings, which were wrong, however, I'm still getting the same message: "The recipient [insert contact] was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying"
Relaying is the keyword here. It means that you need to authenticate to the SMTP server (if that's an option with your email provider) to use it.

I did not have this issue with BB
BB's don't always use your email provider's SMTP servers.

Last edited:

David Clemens

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I received the same error message when I tried to send email from my iPod. I could send email from my primary email account, but any mail sent from a secondary account would just sit in my out box.
Here is the fix I used: Go to Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap on the name of the primary email account. Then tap on Add Another Email... Type in the name of the secondary email account. Tap Return, then tap <Back.
Your secondary email will be added and you will be able to send email.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I received the same error message when I tried to send email from my iPod. I could send email from my primary email account, but any mail sent from a secondary account would just sit in my out box.
Here is the fix I used: Go to Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap on the name of the primary email account. Then tap on Add Another Email... Type in the name of the secondary email account. Tap Return, then tap <Back.
Your secondary email will be added and you will be able to send email.

Wow... apparently people don't bother to check to see that a thread has laid dormant for THREE AND A HALF YEARS before chiming in the the "fix". How do they even find threads that old?