Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By big9erfan
  • 1 Post By verwon
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Default "iPhone" number under contacts?

I don't know if apple got rid of this with the new software update but do you remember when you use to add a contact they had a space for "iPhone" where you couldt enter a number? What was that?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,470 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Edit the contact. And add another phone number. You can choose the phone number type and one of those is iPhone.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    iOS Version

And even if you don't add a new phone number you can change the number type on an existing phone number by editing the contact and clicking on the number type. So iPhone is still there.
    iPhone Intermediate

I was wondering what this is for.
    Laura Elizebeth Harris on the iBooks Store
    ~Laura~
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

sorry to resurrect this thread, but i was adding a new contact to my 16 ViP running 5.0.1 completely stock and it does not have the "iphone" option when adding or editing a number...it just has "mobile"

anyone else have this issue?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,470 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by cevmkv View Post
    sorry to resurrect this thread, but i was adding a new contact to my 16 ViP running 5.0.1 completely stock and it does not have the "iphone" option when adding or editing a number...it just has "mobile"

anyone else have this issue?
    How are you syncing your contacts?
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com &
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 6 64GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

via gmail exchange...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I have never seen the option of an iPhone contact.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,219 Global Posts
    iOS Version

HA!! I never noticed this before till now lol. Ok, so I have quite a few contacts that I can change the label to iPhone for, but ummm, silly question.....does this do anything significant or is it just to label that particular contact as an iPhone user?
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

I've always seen this. Even when I had my 3GS. As far as I know, the "iPhone" option had always been there.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    "Women who strive to be equal to men lack ambition." - Anonymous

Follow me on Twitter!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    HA!! I never noticed this before till now lol. Ok, so I have quite a few contacts that I can change the label to iPhone for, but ummm, silly question.....does this do anything significant or is it just to label that particular contact as an iPhone user?
    I think it will enable iMessage with them if they are using iOS 5 on their end.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,219 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by NoleScream View Post
    I think it will enable iMessage with them if they are using iOS 5 on their end.
    Oh ok. Well the peeps that do have iPhones that I have in my contacts were not in there as "iPhone", it was only as "mobile" but the imessage still worked. Hmmm.....
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,793 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

Oh ok. Well the peeps that do have iPhones that I have in my contacts were not in there as "iPhone", it was only as "mobile" but the imessage still worked. Hmmm.....
    As long as the person you're calling, is on an iPhone, you have iMessage. Also, the text bubbles are blue, instead of green(for a non iPhone user).
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,219 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    As long as the person you're calling, is on an iPhone, you have iMessage. Also, the text bubbles are blue, instead of green(for a non iPhone user).
    yes, Grunt I do understand this.

My initial question however pertained to in a contacts info, where the cell# would go, if it's an iPhone user that you could chose "iPhone" as opposed to "mobile" for say a blackberry user.

Does choosing "iPhone" do anything different with the way that particular contact is handled?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,793 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

yes, Grunt I do understand this.

My initial question however pertained to in a contacts info, where the cell# would go, if it's an iPhone user that you could chose "iPhone" as opposed to "mobile" for say a blackberry user.

Does choosing "iPhone" do anything different with the way that particular contact is handled?
    No, not to my knowledge. You could type in BB after hitting the edit button, if you wanted to.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    Thanked by:
    ThePinkChameleon (12-07-2011)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I believe that using Exchange means giving up both the "iPhone" label and the ability to create a label using the "Custom" option. I lost mine as soon as I decided to sync via Exchange w/gmail--it seems like they don't support non-standard labeling.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use iCloud for my contacts and I have the iPhone option....I look at it as bragging rights!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    bonesb

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    I believe that using Exchange means giving up both the "iPhone" label and the ability to create a label using the "Custom" option. I lost mine as soon as I decided to sync via Exchange w/gmail--it seems like they don't support non-standard labeling.
    Google Sync isn't "Exchange", sorry. Google Contacts is in the "Google Contacts" format - phone number sync is limited to 2 Home numbers and 1 Home Fax/1 Mobile/1 Pager/3 Work (one will be labeled 'Company Main')/1 Work Fax number. Yeah, that's what they tell us but it isn't.

Real Exchange has different options available altogether.

iCloud offers more options via the CardDAV protocol and Apple's own options - using a real Exchange account, Google Contacts, or some other contacts format will result in the "other" category being used more often than not.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Whether or not it's "real" Exchange, my point is that this is what happens when you set up your Gmail contact sync using the big button that says "Exchange."
    Thanked by:
    Alli (12-07-2011)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,219 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    No, not to my knowledge. You could type in BB after hitting the edit button, if you wanted to.
    Ok, thanks grunt !! I like the idea of the iPhone label, it's like I have extra special contacts in my addy book lol
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Side note: Other than helping you to identify those folks who have the same great taste as you do (snickers go here), there's a subtle change in voice dialing. If you label someone with an iPhone, you can't say "Call XXXX, mobile", but instead have to say "Call XXXX, iPhone". Then, instead of the drab response of "calling xxxx... mobile", you get a little faux excitement from your phone in the response, like "calling xxxx... iPhone!"

It's one of those personal touch self advertising kinda quirky things I like about my Apple devices.

Other than that, I haven't been able to distinguish any other differences with that label... yet.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

ok so after a bit of messing around and turning off my gmail exchange contacts as you all have suggested i was able to get the iphone option to show up.

now i just have my contact syncing through icloud.

thanks for the help everyone!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti7 View Post
    I don't know if apple got rid of this with the new software update but do you remember when you use to add a contact they had a space for "iPhone" where you couldt enter a number? What was that?
    That has been there since iOS 1.0
    Visit us at opticdev.com
    Twitter: @OpticDev
    Facebook: Optic Dev
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: "iPhone" number under contacts?

I do not get Iphone selection only get home, work, mobile, fax car. how do i get a iphone selection to show?