Incoming text message double alert sounds?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
So I rebooted my phone and I still have the problem. It's almost like the text sounds is glitchy and double rings but it's not just the sound twice. My phone goes glitchy for a second then it's fine. This problem also doesn't happen constantly (just the past couple of days). I'm wondering if maybe I should restore because something funky is going on.

Before doing the power cycle (both buttons not just power slider) did you force quit all the apps?

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
This happens to me to but it only seems to happen when I switch to sound+vibrate. Usually it's just on sound. It goes back to normal a couple of hours after I turn vibrate off.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
no no no when the first text message comes in it is making a double noise really fast back to back

:)ya know Infiniti, i just got my 4S on Friday, and mine has done this a few times as well, but it doesnt do it with every text msg. lol. i fig'd it was a glitch happening just when it did it too.

Turn your phone off and restart. Same thing happened with wife's iphone4 and this fixed it.

I'll try this next time it does it. So far today it hasnt happened at all, but yesterday(saturday) it did it 3 or 4 times out of all the text msg i rec'd. it was def weird !! lol.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Question for you guys. Are you using iMessage and did you actually get double texts? The one time this has happened to me it was when I got the same message twice. Once as an iMessage and a duplicate as SMS.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Just had this issue for the first time. Remembered seeing this thread earlier this month, searched for it.

Rebooted my phone, all is well...for now.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
iErick: I was able to figure out my problem was being caused by iMessage. It happened the other day again. I realized the friend who text me had an iPhone and was using iMessage. Looking back, that was the only time my phone did it. Was the person who text you using iMessage too?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
This isn't related to iMessage this happened before iMessage existed.. its just a bug in the software that hasn't been fixed I believe.

jhoejo

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
double message notification

I have noticed this issue comes and goes on my 4s. Rebooting it the couple times that I have tried didn't always fix the issue. It isn't an issue of getting two messages, one on iMessage and one regular, because I only have 1 contact that has iMessage capabilities. I have noticed that I will get double sound notification on incoming text messages when message app is not in focus. If message app is open to the person sending the messages, I get a notification even though I shouldn't. Seems like a threading issue, somehow getting two observers on the message notifications. I have tried closing the message program, but problem persists. I hope apple addresses this in 5.1. Any suggestions?

ramikhashan

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed this issue comes and goes on my 4s. Rebooting it the couple times that I have tried didn't always fix the issue. It isn't an issue of getting two messages, one on iMessage and one regular, because I only have 1 contact that has iMessage capabilities. I have noticed that I will get double sound notification on incoming text messages when message app is not in focus. If message app is open to the person sending the messages, I get a notification even though I shouldn't. Seems like a threading issue, somehow getting two observers on the message notifications. I have tried closing the message program, but problem persists. I hope apple addresses this in 5.1. Any suggestions?

Solved ...

Download 5.0.1 (9A406) for iphone 4s

And 5.0.1(9A405) for iphone4 from the Internet .

Put ur phone on DFU mode.

then go to iTunes

press SHIFT+ restore button and chose the iPhone4,1_5.0.1_9A406_Restore

That's it

It's working fine with me now and the battery life problem solved too.

jmill79

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Solved ...

How many threads have you gone on and posted this "solved", its not. That is the firmware I'm already updated to, yet the problem still exists. Here I was all happy on 4.2.8 JB'd and now I completely regret upgrading due the the issues. This dumb double ring happins with iMessege on/off, Repeat on/off, Vibrate on/off.

Even with a complete power cycle of phone, its fine for a while then the issues come back after a few hours.

Seriously, stop going around forums posting false info.

VydorScope

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed something simular on my 4s, but there is a several minute gap between the first and second alert and it only happens when I have not read a text message yet. YES I have sent the "Repeat Alert" to NEVER. Yes I have the newest firmware. (5.0.1 9A405) And this is my first iPhone ever, so it was set up as brand new.

Is this same issue? If not is there a fix for my version of the problem? Thanks!

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It happens for me when the phone is going to sleep and it comes in... Get the double/echo once in a while not very often... Bet it's just an iOS 5 glitch

KPL_Studios

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you have emails linked to your iMessage account in addition to your phone number and is your Caller ID setup as your phone number?

That's might be the cause: getting iMessages on both your phone number and your email's iMessage.

When we upgraded to iPhone 4S, all of our iMessages switched to emails. We had to relink every iPhone to their original phone number and Caller ID.

You will find the setup under Setting->Messages->Receive At

treenz88

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Turn your phone off and restart. Same thing happened with wife's iphone4 and this fixed it.

OMG.. this information was very helpful!! my daughter and i were going crazy today trying to get my phone to stop with the multiple alerts and we had made sure all my settings were the same as hers on her iphone that didn't do that.. so i just turned off my phone and turned it back on and it is fixed!!! so excited.. thank you...