No name, just phone number in notification of txt message

rbiowa

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
On my 4s, when I receive a txt message, only the phone number appears. No names. How do I get names to appear? Thx!

rbiowa

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes I do. I'm linked thru exchange to my office computer. This was an upgrade from an iPhone 4 that I didn't have this issue with.

user.access.invalid

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I erased my Exchange Gmail and use iCloud exclusively on my 4s. I forward the emails to my @me address. Anyway, I can't get the names to appear either. I rebooted and restored and that still didn't fix it. Hopefully it is just a bug that will be squashed soon.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
also when the txt comes through.. check it against you contact info and make sure it matches exactly... including the area code.

isnt there a way to update a contact? try doing that...update a contact with the number that txt

rbiowa

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
In some cases (not all) by adding a 1 in front of their number in 'Contacts' it fixed it. But once again, not all.

templetonryecy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
This literally just happened to me. Had the 4S since last Friday (launch day). All my contacts come through Google and they've worked perfectly until now. Now, when I get a text or a call, it only shows the number, and not the contact, even though everything in the Contacts app is current and correct.

Why o why did this just start happening!?

I've tried 2 reboots...

It seems on some numbers it wants to put a +1 in front of it all of a sudden? It was NOT doing this previously. Just started an hour ago and it is driving me nuts :( I even tried deleting and re-adding my Google account. Again, all the contacts show up correctly, but the numbers aren't "linking" for some reason. Very odd. An hour ago I had a message from Tom. Now it says message from 515-555-5555 (diff. # obviously).

Anyone know a fix!?

I should not have to edit any contacts. This has been working perfectly for a week...

Thanks!

Last edited:

ballnchain90

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the 4S to replace my webOS phone, and I'm very disappointed that I'm running into this problem. I've never had a basic association issue like this with me Pre. Does anyone out there know of a fix. This is very annoying... though iPhone was the best....

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up the 4S to replace my webOS phone, and I'm very disappointed that I'm running into this problem. I've never had a basic association issue like this with me Pre. Does anyone out there know of a fix. This is very annoying... though iPhone was the best....

Where are your contacts stored? Do you have them in Google, or some other service, rather than iCloud?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Where are your contacts stored? Do you have them in Google, or some other service, rather than iCloud?

no matter which service you have them in there still stored locally on the phone itself so it shouldnt really matter.. all the services do is sync..

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
no matter which service you have them in there still stored locally on the phone itself so it shouldnt really matter.. all the services do is sync..

Yes, but I had this happen, when I first got my 4S and had them in Google. Not sure why, but it hasn't happened since I moved them all to iCloud. So, I was just trying to explore possible connections.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Briannawilks

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
There's a fix. This happened to me and other Verizon customers, you can google it i think it's like a 6 step process

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

B

bonesb

Hey, don't pick on iOS devices!!! It's not an OS issue, believe it or not. And don't pick on me - I ported over from a VZW Pre+. Google "android caller id not showing" or "razr id not showing" or pick a mobile phone. Short answer - install a carrier update if one is available and reset network settings. I've got several guys working for me here in the US and a few friends overseas, getting them to update their carrier settings and rebooting the phone (iOS/WebOS/BBOS/Android/dumbphone) works 100% of the time. This "problem" isn't iOS 5 specific to the iPhone - my employees experienced it on iOS 3.x and 4.x too.

If you're on a GSM-based provider, check Settings>General>About - any carrier update would appear here. A couple of (whiny) guys I know in NZ and UK have had carrier updates fix this.

Are you on a US CDMA provider? My SPCS and VZW connects almost NEVER update their PRLs and experience this issue periodically - I do, and - shock - never experience this problem. *228, Option 1, and go though the motions (Option 1 - or *22890 - programs the MDN, MIN and Home SID into the phone, downloads the latest PRL, and sets the lock code to the last 4 digits of the MDN; Option 2 - or *22891 - DLs the latest PRL for your plan/provider).

I'd reset the network settings (which will reboot your device) too. YMMV, but the carrier update and reset has worked maybe 50 out of 50 times - I ought to just bookmark this post and email it out to my whiny friends...

The only other action to consider is to quit all apps that use contacts that you might have open (Phone/Messages/email/IM/etc.) then delete the relevant contacts from your device by turning off the account(s) you sync to, update carrier settings, reset network settings/reboot.

I'm off to the Emerald City for a few days, so feel free to flog me if this doesn't work for you. Payback's a real bear, however... :D Good luck!

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but I had this happen, when I first got my 4S and had them in Google. Not sure why, but it hasn't happened since I moved them all to iCloud. So, I was just trying to explore possible connections.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

I just personally think its a different problem then where you sync with is all... Its more then likely a bug of some sort.. I have synced with google no problem..