Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Missing Contacts icon

I have upgraded 5 different iPhone 4 phones for my family to iOS 5. On two of them, after the upgrade, the Contacts icon is missing. The contacts are on the phone and I can see them in the Phone and Messages apps, and calls coming in display the caller-id info. The other 3 phones DO have the Contacts icon, and function the same way as those without it.

I've also upgraded two iPads and two iPods - all of them have the Contacts icon. Strange, eh?

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know how to get that icon back?
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Did you check the Utilities folder? That's where mine was after doing a fresh iOS 5 install.
    Thanked by:
    Fausty82 (10-17-2011)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTripp View Post
    Did you check the Utilities folder? That's where mine was after doing a fresh iOS 5 install.
    Yeah, I found it there. Strange. It only did that on 2 of the 9 upgrades that I did... I knew it had to be there. Thanks.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Nanite

Default Missing icon Contacts - THANKS!

Same happened to me... thanks so much for the tip.
    iPhone Nanite

Where is the utilities folder and if the contacts icon is there, how do I restore it to the home screen?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by h2odog View Post
    Where is the utilities folder and if the contacts icon is there, how do I restore it to the home screen?
    The Utilities folder should be visible unless you removed everything from it. In that case, the Contacts app should be visible (unless you moved it to another folder).

To move it out of the Utilities folder just move it like you would any other app: tap and hold the Contacts icon until all of the icons start jiggling, the tap and hold it again and drag it where you want it. Press the Home button when you are done moving things around.
    iPhone Nanite

Okay, a friend can't find Contacts icon in the Utilities folder. Where else might it be?

Global Posts
    22,194 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by vmkiste View Post
    Okay, a friend can't find Contacts icon in the Utilities folder. Where else might it be?
    If it is not in the utility folder, it has been moved. From his home screen, swipe to the right until you see the search bar. Type in 'contacts'. If it is on the phone, you will see the icon and be able to access it.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I have upgraded 5 different iPhone 4 phones for my family to iOS 5. On two of them, after the upgrade, the Contacts icon is missing. The contacts are on the phone and I can see them in the Phone and Messages apps, and calls coming in display the caller-id info. The other 3 phones DO have the Contacts icon, and function the same way as those without it.

I've also upgraded two iPads and two iPods - all of them have the Contacts icon. Strange, eh?

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know how to get that icon back?
    Restore. That is really the only way to ensure you don't run into future issues. Also, make sure to set it up as a "New iPhone" and not restore using a backup.
    Visit us at opticdev.com
    Twitter: @OpticDev
    Facebook: Optic Dev
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Dev View Post
    Restore. That is really the only way to ensure you don't run into future issues. Also, make sure to set it up as a "New iPhone" and not restore using a backup.
    umm do you know how to read? the OP had resolved his issue after the member below the original post made a suggestion

why people just skip over everything else bewilders me. man, this thread has a buttload of views!