Custom Alert Tones??

DrKanter113

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey, everyone. First time iphone user with the 4s and looooving it!

Anyway, I know that the older iphones would not allow for the adding of custom alert tones (unless jailbroken) in the same way that you could add mp3 ringtones from your itunes library simply by changing the extension if your song was non-DRM.

I wasn't sure if, with the addition of the tone store, which sells alert tones within itunes, that also opened up the ability to take an mp3 and add it as an alert tone instead of a ringtone.

If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated! I have my ringtones where I want them, if I could get the alert tones there, I'd be set!

Bigchris

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey, everyone. First time iphone user with the 4s and looooving it!

Anyway, I know that the older iphones would not allow for the adding of custom alert tones (unless jailbroken) in the same way that you could add mp3 ringtones from your itunes library simply by changing the extension if your song was non-DRM.

I wasn't sure if, with the addition of the tone store, which sells alert tones within itunes, that also opened up the ability to take an mp3 and add it as an alert tone instead of a ringtone.

If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated! I have my ringtones where I want them, if I could get the alert tones there, I'd be set!

Yes, you can use custom tones for things now, all you have to do is convert your mp3 tone to m4r and your good to go.

How to convert an mp3 or m4a file to an iPhone Ringtone

DrKanter113

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your help! I think the issue I was having was I created only one tone to use as a ringtone and after selecting it, I couldn't use it as a text tone so assumed it was still locked. I guess the phone just won't allow me to use the same ringtone as text tone. I'm all set now!

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
This is awesome! Being a BB user one thing I love is customizable Sound Profiles and being able to assign different alerts. This is good info to know if I want to switch to iPhone :)

Saraswatiom

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
iTunes alert tone not working on 4S

Any thoughts much appreciated. I just bought an alert tone from iTunes and selected it from settings> sounds>text tone. But it does not sound when I receive a text.
When I switch the tone to another option like 'bell', the text tone does sound,
Any thoughts?

Thank you.