Wireless sync question

MarcGoldie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I seem a bit baffled by the whole wireless sync concept still.

Within my own house, I have two routers because we live in a ranch house that is long so the signal doesn't reach from one end to the other. However my iPhone can connect to either router, it usually picks the signal from the router that it is closer to at the time. For simplicity sake I'll call them A and B. When I do the wireless sync from router A, it works fine. However, if I go to the other part of the house and am now on router B, it won't sync. And it also seems to drop the iPhone from showing up in iTunes if I try on router B, and on the phone it just says it is waiting for the PC. Then if I force it back to work on router A, it will work again.

Can you only perform the wireless sync with one router?

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
From what I have read, your computer and phone must be on the same network for wireless syncing to work. If you computer is on router A and your phone connects to router B, then they are no longer on the same network. Seems like it would no different than two people living in an apartment building, each in their own apartment with their own router. If your phone picked up his wi-fi, it could not sync to your computer.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I think what might be happening is the hop when switching networks drops the connection and what I found while using the beta was it is pretty finicky. Here is a thought. Have you looked into using the same SSID for both access points. You have to be very specific about setting it up. That's what I do since my office is at one end of the house. I put an access point at the other end and it works great. I don't use WiFi sync. I am liking iCloud backup though.

MarcGoldie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Router A is the one that is by the computer I have iTunes on, Router B is in the other part of the house as extra coverage. It's not a huge deal if I can only sync to one router, I was just not quite sure how it all worked (or was intended to work).

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
It would be better if apple's servers backed up your stuff, not your computer.

Wi-fi syncing and iCloud backups are two different things. The OP is talking about syncing data from his PC. And yes the issue is being on two different networks... have you thought about installing a repeater or network extender or maybe even a newer dual-band router to increase your coverage rather than two routers and two seperate networks?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Just remember that adding a repeater or network extender will halve your throughput on that wifi network. I like the multiple AP with same SSID solution.

KashSystems

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
If you have two routers A and B and they are independent of each other and network, then wifi syncing will not work between both routers. In order to make it work you would have to make router A or B as a master router and change the other router to act like a repeater/wifi extender.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
It would be better if apple's servers backed up your stuff, not your computer.

A. Not necessarily. I prefer an iTunes sync given that my iPhone has to be connected and plugged in anyway. The only place that's going to happen is in my room, where my computer is.

B. With regards to the OP. I'm honestly not sure. It probably just has something to do with network configuration, but I imagine that it would only be able to work with a single router.