Question about Maps app

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
No, the maps app doesn't give voice turn by turn navigation. You can download MapQuest (free) or Navigon (paid) which give voice turn navigation. These are just a couple of examples. There are plenty more in the App Store.

Reactions: chrstdvd

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Waze worked great for me this past weekend. It offers crowd-sourced traffic alerts...and police spottings.

+1 on Waze. I've been using it for the past few days and I like the traffic pop up updates, etc...as you drive. Plus it's free!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know if any apps offer traffic conditions like google. Coming from android this is my only gripe.

Like the colored overlay on the highway maps? That's built into the standard Maps app, which uses Google maps. Just click the icon in the lower right corner (the one that looks like a curled up piece of paper.)

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:
B

bonesb

I would like to know if any apps offer traffic conditions like google. Coming from android this is my only gripe.

There's a couple of apps that provide navigation that use exactly the same traffic service as Google - which just switched over to INRIX from crowd-sourced input - GPS (by Telenav) and MapQuest (by AOL), which both use NAVTEQ map data (at least in the US). And, check out the INRIX app itself. GPS by Telenav offers silent directions, including traffic-weighted routing at no cost and voice navigation for $10 per year as an in-app upgrade. Mapquest offers voice navigation, but I'm not sure if their routing engine adjusts based on traffic - it's routed me around some jams automatically in the past without needing me to change up my route. I'm always checking DOT cams anyway before I drive off...

hopper

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Been using INRIX Pro for about a year. It's a good app that suffers from a sub-optimal UI, IMHO. It also seems as if INRIX's reporting has gotten just a little less timely in the last 6 mos.

ktrent#CB

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Now this is the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks so much. When I learn the ins and outs of this beauty maybe I can help out more as well

KashSystems

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I have used the tom tom app since its release, the later revisions are night and day better than what was initially release. Traditionally as we get closer to xmas time the apps tend to go on sale, the other thing nice about the tom tom is that it offers users a way for them to make corrections and download other corrections.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner