I'd still rather "backup" on iTunes rather than iCloud

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one?? Call me old school, but I still feel more comfortable backing up (wired) to iTunes rather than iCloud. I probably should take advantage of the technology but for now, I have "back up to computer" option checked on iTunes.

Just thinking out loud . . .

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I guess one of the reasons I still feel uncomfortable with iCloud is all of my "sensitive info" stored on my iPhone (password manager) that contains banking, credit card, work pass codes etc . . . don't want this kind of info "floating around" in iCloud. Also, iCloud backup will only backup certain things correct?? I have a 32GB iPhone with only 11GB free (OS, pics, videos, lots of music etc...). I'm guessing that iCloud won't backup everything so an iTunes backup is still necessary . . right?

I guess I have to embrace and trust this technology

Last edited:

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I too thought why not just do both and "thought" I was backing up to both iCloud and iTunes. But that's not the case. I hadn't noticed the Backup area in Summary in iTunes. If checked to iCloud then when you connect your phone to iTunes you are just doing a sync (for music, podcasts, etc.). If checked to iTunes then it turns your iCloud backup off. It does not delete your previous backup so you can always toggle back and forth to get both backups. This (for me) is too much hassle and will be using iCloud Backup with maybe a once a month iTunes backup. BTW, turning off iCloud Backup is not turning off iCloud (mail, contacts, cal, etc.). Two different functions within iCloud.

Reactions: paul-c

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one?? Call me old school, but I still feel more comfortable backing up (wired) to iTunes rather than iCloud. I probably should take advantage of the technology but for now, I have "back up to computer" option checked on iTunes.

Just thinking out loud . . .

I'm with you. The main reason for that, to me, is that when my iPhone is plugged in an connected to wifi is when I'm in my room...in which I have my laptop. So why not just have them sync over wifi instead, and back everything up?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Funny as we're talking about this my 4S arrived and I procedded to do an iCloud Restore. Didn't go so well for my Apps. It got stuck. Also at the begining of trying to restore them, it wanted me to keep logging in with my Apple ID. Each time a pre-entered email address was in the Apple ID window THAT I"D NEVER SEEN BEFORE!! I had done an iTunes backup before starting this "just in case". Glad I did. I am now restoring to my iTunes backup.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you. The main reason for that, to me, is that when my iPhone is plugged in an connected to wifi is when I'm in my room...in which I have my laptop. So why not just have them sync over wifi instead, and back everything up?

I agree Jake . .

Funny as we're talking about this my 4S arrived and I procedded to do an iCloud Restore. Didn't go so well for my Apps. It got stuck. Also at the begining of trying to restore them, it wanted me to keep logging in with my Apple ID. Each time a pre-entered email address was in the Apple ID window THAT I"D NEVER SEEN BEFORE!! I had done an iTunes backup before starting this "just in case". Glad I did. I am now restoring to my iTunes backup.

I think in order for iCloud backup to be universally accepted and successful (and in time, it will), iCloud backups needs to be a "no-brainer" for the "average user". With a click of a "backup" button, the entire iPhone needs to be backed up (wi-fi or otherwise) so in case disaster (lost info, new phone etc . .), everything - not just contacts and settings, is restored to the new device. In time, I think this will be the case.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2