Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    igorsky's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default iTunes wif-fi sync

    So right now the only way I can get iTunes to sync to my iPhone 4 over wi-fi is 1) opening up iTunes, and 2) plugging my phone into my laptop. Which is the same way I sync the normal way. So I'm not really getting what wi-fi sync does or is supposed to do.

    I've read where people are saying you should sync once the normal way and then wi-fi sync works; I've done that and it doesn't seem to make a difference. And, yes, I've checked off the wi-fi sync option in iTunes.


    If anyone can shed some light that would be great.
  2. #2  
    diggity's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    The settings page says that you must be plugged in to a power source to wifi sync. Also assuming that your pc must be on (not asleep or in standby) with iTunes running.
  3. #3  
    verwon's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    668 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    You can manual sync, without being plugged in.


    Mistress of Mischief
  4. #4  
    bausti25's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

    Default

    if I swipe and delete a song from my ipod touch, will it also be deleted in itunes?
  5. #5  
    isrararrafi's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    50 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    under settings>general there is an option for wi-fi sync...go there and try to force a sync manually.

    and it's supposed to sync when plugged in to a power outlet and charging.

    it syncs flawlessly with my mac. i tried syncing it over wifi with windows and itunes kept losing the connection to the ipad. maybe i should try a wired syncing with windows first and then try syncing wirelessly
    swsmpbaby985 likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    igorsky's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post
    under settings>general there is an option for wi-fi sync...go there and try to force a sync manually.
    This doesn't seem to work for me. The "sync now" button is grayed out until I plug my phone into my computer and it shows up as a device in iTunes.
  7. #7  
    KrispyKrink's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

    Default

    Did you check the box in iTunes to allow WiFi syncing for your iPhone?
    Thanked by:
    robes1 (10-25-2011)
  8. #8  
    diggity's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igorsky View Post
    This doesn't seem to work for me. The "sync now" button is grayed out until I plug my phone into my computer and it shows up as a device in iTunes.
    For what it's worth... I just tried this on my iphone and ipad. The 'sync now' button is not grayed out on mine, but it doesn't appear to do anything when you click it because it says my pc is not available (even though it is). However, both of them will wifi sync manually if I press the sync button in itunes.

    After I was done, i plugged both into the wall chargers. Both of them wifi synced again after doing so, according to itunes.
  9. #9  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,952 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Read this for clear instructions about how to set it up the first time:

    (Hint: when you set it up, you need to be connected to your computer.)
  10. #10  
    BigLan's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    111 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Read this for clear instructions about how to set it up the first time:
    Thanks for the post & link
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    igorsky's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default

    I've tried everything that everyone here mentioned, including the website, and nothing seems to work. The only way I can get both devices to sync is when I have my phone plugged into the the computer, and it shows up as a device in iTunes. I have no idea what I'm doing incorrectly
  12. #12  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,952 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    So you set it up as described in the link in my last post, AND you're plugged into a power outlet, AND iTunes is running, and it still won't sync? Just want to make sure we've got all the steps right.

    EDIT: Just to give you a run through, I just tested this out on my own phone. Here's what worked for me:

    -plug phone into iTunes
    -in Summary panel, under Options (you may need to scroll down to see this), check "Sync with this iPhone over Wifi"
    -click Apply
    -Sync your phone while it's still connected to iTunes. I think I initiated the sync by hitting the Sync Now button on my phone, but if that doesn't work use the Sync button in iTunes. Note! I think this is the most important step.
    -When that sync is done, you should be good to eject the phone and find that Wifi Sync is up and running.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by Massie; 10-13-2011 at 11:43 PM.
  13. #13  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,952 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Ok, weird. Mine just stopped working.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    igorsky's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    So you set it up as described in the link in my last post, AND you're plugged into a power outlet, AND iTunes is running, and it still won't sync? Just want to make sure we've got all the steps right.

    EDIT: Just to give you a run through, I just tested this out on my own phone. Here's what worked for me:

    -plug phone into iTunes
    -in Summary panel, under Options (you may need to scroll down to see this), check "Sync with this iPhone over Wifi"
    -click Apply
    -Sync your phone while it's still connected to iTunes. I think I initiated the sync by hitting the Sync Now button on my phone, but if that doesn't work use the Sync button in iTunes. Note! I think this is the most important step.
    -When that sync is done, you should be good to eject the phone and find that Wifi Sync is up and running.

    Good luck!

    So I followed those steps exactly. But when I eject the phone, the "Sync Now" button on the phone gets gray and cannot be activated.
  15. #15  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,952 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Aha, figured it out on my end at least...in my iTunes Preferences>Devices, I had the "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" box checked. Once I unchecked that, saved, and restarted iTunes, all was well and the grayed out Sync Now on my iPhone lit up again. (You may also need to restart your phone, though mine seems to be just fine.)
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    igorsky's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default

    I checked and that option was not checked for me. But it had me hopeful
  17. #17  
    jayes's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

    Default

    Don't feel bad, igorsky. You're not alone. I can't get my phone to sync over wi-fi either. Been following the prompts here and have the same experiences as you. I am using Windows XP. Could this be the issue? I read that iCloud is not supposed to work on XP. The first time I clicked SYNC NOW it looked like it was working, but then I got the message that it was waiting for my computer to become available. It was and is so not sure why it's not working.
  18. #18  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,952 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    I'm on xp, so that's not the problem...
  19. #19  
    jayes's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

    Default

    Well, not only does sync not work on my iphone, it does not work on my ipad2 which is updated to ios5 also. The computer is hooked directly to the router. The iphone and ipad are, of course, wireless. Can this be an issue? Something to do with the settings in the router? (Not that I'd know how to fix it!) Message says on both.. sync will resume when the computer becomes available... which it is.
  20. #20  
    jayes's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

    Default

    Still trying to get sync working via wi-fi...

    One thing I discovered is that while I had itunes running, I had not signed in. When I signed in, the gray SYNC NOW button turned black on my phone and I was able to sync. But doing the same thing on the ipad did not get the same result. I thought I had it figured out, but I'm getting closer.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    igorsky's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayes View Post
    Don't feel bad, igorsky. You're not alone. I can't get my phone to sync over wi-fi either. Been following the prompts here and have the same experiences as you. I am using Windows XP. Could this be the issue? I read that iCloud is not supposed to work on XP. The first time I clicked SYNC NOW it looked like it was working, but then I got the message that it was waiting for my computer to become available. It was and is so not sure why it's not working.
    Yeah this is really driving me crazy. It's always frustrating when you seem to have everything set up correctly and can't get it to work.
  22. #22  
    lshartle's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    I've found that I have to have iTunes open for it to sync via wifi. My PC is running Windows 7 & my son's is running XP and it's the same for both.
    The Sync Now button is grayed out until we open iTunes & it shows the device on the left.
    So apparently you have to keep iTunes running 24/7, pretty stupid unless I'm doing something wrong

    PS The message "waiting for computer to become available" disappears as soon as I open iTunes and it finds my device. I assume it really means waiting for iTunes to become available
  23. #23  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,952 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    You don't have to leave it running 24 hours a day, but of course it needs to be open to sync. Just like it needed to be open when you did a sync via USB. But now you don't have to leave your phone tied to your computer while it happens.
  24. #24  
    lshartle's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    You don't have to leave it running 24 hours a day, but of course it needs to be open to sync. Just like it needed to be open when you did a sync via USB. But now you don't have to leave your phone tied to your computer while it happens.
    True but then what's the point of no wires if you have to go to your computer & open iTunes. It's nice to be able to use it while it's syncing but it would be even nicer if it could sync with iTunes without having to open it first.

    . . . always a catch
  25. #25  
    jayes's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

    Default Itunes opens itself

    This is probably related to the sync issue, but my itunes program is CONSTANTLY opening itself. It's as if it's got a mind of it's own. At first I thought it was the phone and ipad trying to access my account (while it was plugged in), but it happens when it's not plugged into any power source.It opens "unsigned in" so even if my sync was working, which it's not, it would not be able to access my account. But goodness.. what is causing it to open all the time? I shut it down and a few minutes later, it opens again. It's freaky! Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B