About to upgrade - new or restore?

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I assume I will get to a point where I have to choose "as new" or "Restore" - what is best way to go?

And if "new" will I have to rearrange all my icons in folders etc ???

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
im not understanding the whole restoring option or new option. what is the difference? thinking about it now i dont know what i did hahaha

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
If you restore as new you will loose everything you have setup and any data... email accounts, app data, wi-fi setups, etc. I updated and restored from a 4.3.5 backup and all is fine. I would at least start with a restore from backup and if you see or "feel" any problems you can always restore as new.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
ya when i restored mine or downloaded the new 5.0 software i did not have to sign back into my emails,facebook account, ect so what does that say?

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
ya when i restored mine or downloaded the new 5.0 software i did not have to sign back into my emails,facebook account, ect so what does that say?

You restored from a backup after updating to 5.0 and all your settings and data were dumped back on the iPhone...

alphasportstv

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
FWIW the first time I installed OS5 yesterday I did Restore From Backup. Everything went fine but phone was definitely sluggish esp when typing texts etc, when the text tone and reaction from my touch was quite clearly out of sync with the onscreen execution. I also did notice pretty quick battery depletion tho' not like some people are reporting.

Today, just to celebrate my BB coming back to life after 3 days of NO SERVICE (= fail), I decided to bite the bullet and try a Restore As New Phone. It worked fine but required that I reset all my app icons, folders, settings etc. Basically a major pain in the butt. BUT, the phone is now WAY snappier without question and since I now have a backup based on this new, clean setup, I only have to do it once so it's worth it. Too early to tell if it makes any diff on battery life, can't see why it would.

YMMV

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice