Advanced User Needs Help With Upgrade / Restore Issues
I have been working on updating my iPhone 4 since the release of iOS5 yesterday.
I wanted to do a clean restore so I simply downloaded the IPSW and Shift + Click to do the restore.
I keep receiving the same error: The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (14)
I have tried to do the following to remedy the problem:
- Put the phone in DFU mode and tried restore. Same error
- Uninstalled / Reinstalled iTunes
- Tried using different USB ports
- Tried using a USB hub with it's own power
- Re-Downloaded the .IPSW firmware file
- Made sure all Windows Updates were up to date
- Tried 4 different computers. 3 PC's and 1 MacBook. Same error on all computers.
- Tried using TinyUmbrella's "Fix Recovery" tool
- Tried disabling my anti-virus / firewall
- Tried to reset my TcpWindowSize packet size per Apple Support
- Tried a different USB 30 Pin Connector cable
- Made sure my "hosts" file did not have the TinyUmbrella entries for gs.apple.com
- I have successfully restored my phone to 4.3.5 and then tried the normal upgrade method to 5.0. This failed with the same error (14)
- Went into Services and tried restarting Apple / Ipod services
- Google'd high and low looking for a solution and nothing is helping.
I originally thought my phone had some serious issues, but when I was able to restore to 4.3.5, I doubted it's an issue with the phone.
Next step would probably consist of making an appointment with Apple Genius Support (Really don't want to do that seeing as the 4S will be out tomorrow and the stores will be slammed)
I have exhausted all possible solutions that I know of. I would really love some expert help.