Email Not Alerting Me In Lockscreen

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to iOS5 yesterday. All seems fine except I've noticed that when I get an email it's not alerting me on my lockscreen!

I have one email account and it's a Gmail account, I've had it for years and previously it's pushed pretty much immediately. If I go into the mail app and refresh it shows the new message, in most cases as soon as I unlock the iPhone it alerts me with the new message badge for the mail app so it's working ok it's just when the phone is locked I don't get a new mail notification! I get all the others like sms and imessage but no mail. I've checked the notification settings and they're all correct, I've even turned them off and back on to try and trick it to recognising. I've checked the push settings for email and it's set to push and manually 15 mins as a backup which is the way it's always been......

Anyone else getting this? try sending yourself an email from another account using your PC etc whilst the iPhone is locked and see if the new mail message notification alerts you!?

I'm gonna try another hard re-boot just incase...it's about my 3rd of the day....

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Go into notifications.

Click on mail.

Enable LOCK-SCREEN NOTIFICATIONS

It's not enabled by default. Stupid move on Apple's part. We've discussed this in other threads of how people won't notice it.

Reactions: slalomskie

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks mate, Sorry I should have said, I've been through all the notifications and everything is set to show on lock screen. I've even turned them off and back on trying to fudge it. Weird how it's only mail all the others appear and about 10 seconds after unlocking the device the new mail notification appears....weird....it's like it's not pushing when locked...

Martin__R

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
iOS5 Not Pushing Mail

I have the exact same problem (iPad2).
My maill account is the old MobileMe.

For me though I think it is because the iCloud is not pushing my mails.
I have to go in to the mail app and manually check to get my mail.
1 day ago on iOS4 everything was pushing fine.

Contacts/Notes etc are pushing ok in iOS5 just not iCloud mail.
Everything is set correctly

Maybe it's bacause it is all still new :confused:

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep it's weird, everything else is working fine for me also, weird how before the update my phone would recieve the mail seconds after it was sent and now after ios5 I wait for 15-20mins for it to appear on the notification screen, makes me think push isn't working and it's relying on the manual setting of 15mins that I selected.....

Just need to know if lots of people are affected by PUSH mail not working or if it's specific to me....

alphasportstv

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you are enabling "Mail" in Notifications...I had the same thing for awhile until I noticed I had only set Messages for the Notifications..Mail is a separate module further down the list!

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Haha ok I need to make this clear.

I have enabled mail in notifications and selected show on lockscreen

It does eventually arrive as a notification it's just now it seems to take about 15mins and prior to ios 5 it was a matter of seconds. I'd place an online order and my phone would sound before I could even log into gmail to read the email, not the email arrives online and my iphone is about 15mins behind. It's not really a big deal I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem specific to me.

My gmail is set to fetch with a second shedule of 15mins if the fetch isn't working. Currently it looks like the fetch isn't working as it's only checking every 15mins, just need to know why the fetch isn't working all of a sudden? Is it my phone? google? or apple? Can it be fixed and how?

Thanks for the suggestions!

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
@Darran
I had the same problem as you. What I ended up doing was a hard reset, deleting my Gmail Exchange account, setting it up again which led it to start working like it should. The funny thing is that when I set up my iPad 2 with IOS 5 I had no such issues with email or anything. It set up like it was supposed to and worked fine. I don't know if this will work for you but you can give it a try.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
CG68, thanks, I've tried removing and hard resetting but still the same effect. I had a mate sitting next to me and we sent the same email to both of us and his pinged within seconds and 10mins later mine still hasn't got it! haha

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
CG68, thanks, I've tried removing and hard resetting but still the same effect. I had a mate sitting next to me and we sent the same email to both of us and his pinged within seconds and 10mins later mine still hasn't got it! haha

I forgot to mention that it didn't work right away. It took a few tries, so don't give up!

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
No, push is still selected. It's worth noting this is not an exchange account it's just a simple plain old gmail account. It used to notify me of the email within seconds of it arriving now I sit and wait for about 15mins for the lockscreen alert but if I manually open the mail app and refresh it picks up the email. Just pointing out nothing has changed in the settings but since ios5 the email has slowed!

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
its so weird how apple didn't turn the email notifications on for emails on the lock screen and in the notification center. every other app was turned on but email ha. email is very very important to some people. wonder why you manually had to turn it on

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Also why is there a sync or refresh button in my iphone contacts now? I'm not backing up my contacts to icloud or syncing them anywhere! wtf!???

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine weren't actually turned off. Just seems weird that NC isn't fetching my emails. If I turn NC off my email appears within seconds! but with it on it only appears after 15mins!

If I placed an order using my iphone like Dominos I'd get the email on my phone the moment the order had completed, now I put the phone down and 15mins later the email arrives......oh and the pizza too!

akmolin

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
@Darran I was confused myself about this I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones love this place always great help from everyone

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2