Newsstand

Fokas914

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I noticed you cannot move this app into a folder. How weird! I don't really think I'll use it.. Did anyone else notice that??

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm dissapointed in it. I thought it was going to be an Apple version on Zinio but all it seems to be is a fancy way of displaying app shortcuts.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Bummer really. I have created a folder called 'Other' for all my unused/unwanted apps. I like a real uncluttered screen. Like you say, I can't even move it into that folder. Instead I have just moved it onto a blank new page!

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah same. I'm hoping they'll change that in a future update at some point because at the moment it's just chilling on my 2nd homescreen, don't really know what to do with it as I doubt I'll ever use it.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Bummer really. I have created a folder called 'Other' for all my unused/unwanted apps. I like a real uncluttered screen. Like you say, I can't even move it into that folder. Instead I have just moved it onto a blank new page!

Same here. I have a "iDONTUSE" folder, this is where I'd like to put it. I'd use the app if there was a magazine worth downloading on there yet...But even then, it has to go in a folder. I can't stand it set as it is.

Handlebars

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I have noticed it too. It is a useless app and you can't do anything with it. I also have just moved it to a blank page. Hope they allow us to delete it or put it in a folder in future updates.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Newsstand is a joke. It's literally an app that simulates a bookshelf...that's it. It's the third party magazine apps that are the true "applications", but of course all of the subscription and content is handled app-by-app.

Apple should have just bought something like Zinio or copied it. Zinio has plenty of problems, but it's much closer to what Newsstand appears to be than does Newsstand itself. My only gripe with Zinio is that I can't get it to reliably save my DL'ed magazines for offline viewing. But since they're stored in the cloud (and even viewable on PC), this is more of a mere inconvenience, which I hope they will correct.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i know people who jailbreak JUST to remove it because they are like me and prefer to have all of their apps on one page

..chalk up another one for the jailbreak community

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
how to put newstand in a folder

You can put it into a folder.

1. Take an app (other than newstand) and place it it ontop of another app (other than newsstand)
  2. As those two apps (non-newstand) create a folder; quickly move your newstand into that "creating folder animatin"
  3. PRESTO - newstand in a folder.

When you tether sync (with a data cable) your phone or update your phone it will pull the newstand out and put it back on the home screen.

Enjoy!

VIDEO: Put iOS 5's Annoying Newsstand.app in a Folder without Jailbreaking - YouTube

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
you forgot to mention what happens when you try to open newsstand while it is within a folder. it crashes the device which causes instability

and if you have instability you might as well be jailbroken, correct?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
you forgot to mention what happens when you try to open newsstand while it is within a folder. it crashes the device which causes instability

and if you have instability you might as well be jailbroken, correct?

Many have it hidden away in a folder just because they don't use it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner