Anyone else's battery literally draining before your eyes?

Torrential24

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 4 is really hot and basically drained from 100% to 0% in 4 hours with no usage. Also notices it lags as if it's running tons of apps. Upgraded to iOS 5 last night. Double clicked my button and closed down all my apps and no difference.

Kerwood909

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. Went from 100% out of the dock this morning to 80% in 90 minutes and I didn't even use it. Location services off, push off, notifications off. After checking the boards, there were two options which seemed to meet with some success, restoring as new and draining the battery to zero and then powering up to 100% again. So far, I'm mid option 2. Let's see if that does anything. Failing which, I'll try restoring as new and get back to you. iPhone 4 btw.

Fun to try to drain it by the way. I put on a movie at full bright and no auto lock and just left it running.

Anyone think this is a tech glitch for which a solution / update will fix?

Last edited:

efn77mx

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a definite decrease in battery life, I wouldn't say it's TOO bad since I plug my phone into a charger every night anyways. I did, however, disable the weather widget itself. Since it uses location based services and I suspect it's always running, I thought that might help with battery life (I don't BELIEVE anything that predicts weather anyways). But for grins and giggles, I'm going to try wiping the device and setting it up as a new device as most suggest, and see how that goes.

Kerwood909

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to the restore as new option, as I was successful in regaining my battery life after draining it completely and then powering up to 100%. Overnight, it lost only 4% of its charge, and I had re-enabled location services just to see what that would do. I did turn off the weather widget as well, because this seems like a total waste of battery power for me...I have a bookmark to a more accurate site and use that when I need it. Saving 7 seconds isn't worth the drain.
Anyway, power down to 0 and back up to 100% worked.

Now if I can just get iCloud to download my music...grrrrrr.

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
At 87% after only 2 hrs off charger but I can't seem to put my phone down so that may explain the battery usage :))

but I have a question: if going back and restoring the phone as "new iPhone" helps with battery issue - do you lose your CONTACTS ? Or just the apps? I can deal with setting up all that stuff but the contacts would be harder to lose.

Thanks

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I let my device die all the way down to 0% then plugged in and charged fully to 100%. Battery seems alot more normal now and the phone seems to b working better as well

efn77mx

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I disabled my weather widget yesterday before I left work. Battery drain seemed more of what I'm used to for the rest of the day. This morning it's fully charged so I'll be keeping an eye on it as the day progresses. I feel a bit more confident that this widget was the cause of my drain, but I'll know soon enough.

tairyhesticle

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
solution

i had this problem. I would lose 25% per hour and would always be warm to the touch. However after i reset the network settings i now lose around 4% per hour. To do this go to settings/general/reset/network settings. You'll get the restore screen for a minute or so but when it boots back up, put your wifi code in again. I now have a good - if not better - battery life.

Regard, Josh

Torrential24

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
found something

Okay some headway made.

HDCrazy on the mac forums discovered that if you're on iOS 4.3.5 or 4.3.3 that there's a problem with the exchange email and iCloud that causes weird battery calibration and overclocks your chip (hence the hot phone even when idling). A several people have reported partial success with this including myself.

1) Remove all your email accounts. Especially your mobileme/icloud email.

2) Deactivate everything in iCloud settings. When prompted, keep all the info on your iPhone.

3) Hard reboot your phone. Press the power button (on top) and your main button just above the USB plugin on the main face. Hold these buttons until you see the white apple logo show up again.

4) Once restarted, go back and re-enable iCloud and restore all your email accounts.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3378076?start=0&tstart=0

Let me know how it works out for you.

I'm still not thrilled about the new battery usage but I did find a solution that doubled my battery life time. As I said above, I was going from 100% to 0% in 4 hours. Last night after doing this I was at 80% and went to 10% after 9 hours. In iOS 4.3.5 I would only drop about 12% in 9 hours...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen