wi-fi sync problems

techbyter

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello there...

I am currently on ios 5 GM...one of the early ones :D.... ipod 3rd GEN and using Windows 7
I have itunes 10.5...

I cannot wifi sync with my itunes even tho I am currently connected on the same network as my PC...iTunes currently doesnt see my device when not connected through USB....and in ssettings --------> general --------> iTunes Wi-Fi Sync i get "Sync will resume when "(computer name)" will be available"..

I have traied the following things with the results listed:

Changed the firewall settings of Bonjour Services in control panell to public, and domain....Result = was working till today morning.

Removed iTunes completely from my system...reinstalled it...result = no use...problem persists.

Now I really dont understand what to do....i have even tried switching off the firewall but to no benifit....I usually search in google and I am posting my problem for the 1st time....please dont be harsh on me....I have searched for hours to solve this.....no use.....

looking forward to hear from anyone who knows how to resolve this..
Thanks in advance...

Rudeboy254

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have it checked and i cant get either the iphone or ipad to work

When your ios device is plug in to itunes, Click on your device, scroll down the Summary tab to options, and check "Sync with this iphone/ipad over wi-fi, click apply.

Disconnect your device from the usb, if you done it right your device should be still in the device tab, without it being plugged in........

alexberry

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Rudeboy254, this is exactly the problem I'm having. When I select the option in iTunes (on the attached iPhone / summary tab) to sync with this iPhone over wi-fi, I then click apply, but as soon as I remove the iPhone it disappears from iTunes.

I've heard some people suggest that it only works when the iphone is attached to a power source and connected to the home network via wifi. But again, I've tried this without any luck.

All I can think is that it's something to do with the firewall settings on my PC, and maybe with all the beta iTunes 10.5 updates installed over the last few months, things have gone awry. I ran a diagnostics report from within iTunes, which suggested everything working fine (all green lights); except buried within the report was a line which said that iTunes was not set up [I can't remember the exact phrase - I'm not at my home PC] on Windows 7 Firewall (which is what I use).

Again, looking forward to hearing from any others who have experienced similar issues, and what workarounds / solutions, if any, they found. For instance, is it work completely uninstalled iTunes, and all associated services (Bonjour etc), and reinstalling it from fresh?

Thanks

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I've heard some people suggest that it only works when the iphone is attached to a power source and connected to the home network via wifi.

Wi-fi sync works when the iPhone is NOT plugged into power -- you just have to start it from iTunes (assuming it is showing as a connected device). If you plug it into power and wi-fi sync is enabled the iPhone will automatically sync without you doing anything ... that is the difference.

alexberry

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've just spent 3 hrs at my PC trying everything under the sun, itunes/bonjour uninstall/reinstall, firewall udp/tcp settings etc etc, all to no avail.

I'm convinced that iTunes is installed and working properly.

So that just leaves the Router, a Billion Bipac 7800N, with I will take a look at tomorrow. Need to have Port Forwarding properly configured.

In case it helps others, I'll keep this thread posted.

alexberry

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
No joy - tried to configure the router for Port Forwarding the relevant ports (TCP 3689 and UDP 5353). Still nothing.

I think the issue goes further than just iPhone Wifi Sync.

- I can't get my 1st Gen Apple TV to link into iTunes on my PC

- I can't get my iPhone Remote APP to pair up.

- in iTunes > Preferences > Devices, there's no option to look for iPhone remotes.

- and, obviously, I can't get Wifi Sync to work.

AAArgh!!

alexberry

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Really looking for help from a tech guru here...

Having tried everything on my Router (Billion BIPAC 7800N) to get wifi sync to work, the only thing left is whether my IPv6 setup is causing issues? By ISP supports IPv6 and I have it enabled on my router. Could this be upsetting iTunes etc?

The really annoying thing is that I set up IOS5 on my father-in-law's iphone at his house, iTunes 10.5 etc, and WiFi Sync works perfectly for him! Even my iphone will connect and via the Remote App, which is more than can be said when I'm at my home.

I hate having things that don't work properly!

Alex.

LostKhaos71

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I was having the very same issue. Not sure it will be of any help, but I was able to get it to work after trying a few things. FYI, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and an iPod 3rd gen 32G.

1. Checked the windows Firewall "applications allowed" and there were two iTunes entries. One pointed to the correct exe, and the other pointed to nothing. Seemed odd. I was able to remove the valid entry, but not the other one.
  2. Uninstalled iTunes. Once uninstalled, I went into the firewall advanced settings. Selected "Inbound Rules" and deleted all iTunes entries. I also checked the outbound rules, but nothing there after removing the inbound rules.
  3. Re-installed iTunes. Started up iTunes and my iPod was immediately recognized over wi-fi as it wasn't plugged in.

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem as everyone, but I knew that I had the right settings because my ipad stayed connected when taken off USB, but the phone did not. This is what I did and it seemed to fix the problem - well at least for now!

Thanks to several different posters in the syncing thread (wish I could remember their names to acknowledge here) and their suggestions, I was able to get my wifi working.

1. Connected the phone to my computer via USB. It showed up under devices in iTunes.

2. Clicked the IPHONE under devices which brought up SUMMARY where I had previously clicked SYNC WITH THIS PHONE OVER WIFI. I UNCHECKED that box and hit APPLY.

3. Then I rechecked the box SYNC WITH THIS PHONE OVER WIFI and hit APPLY. I'm still connected via USB.

4. Now when I disconnected the USB cable, the phone was still there. When I went to SETTINGS>GENERAL>Itunes WiFi Sync, the option was black, not greyed out. I am able to manually start the sync. In spite of Apple's instructions on this page that it will connect when plugged into a power source, my phone is able to sync without any power connection.

(I wonder if this might not be a semantics issue. Maybe they mean it will start to sync by itself if you plug it into a power source vs being able to manually sync by clicking SYNC NOW.)

5. DO NOT use the eject button on the left pane when you walk away from the computer or when you disconnect USB cable.

6. Make sure you don't check OPEN ITUNES WHEN THIS PHONE IS CONNECTED or itunes will open every time the phone is near by.

7. The other thing to verify is that you have NOT checked off "Prevent ipods, iphone and ipads from syncing automatically" under Edit> Preferences> Devices in the top menu.

8. To check things out, I closed iTunes. When I opened it again, both the ipad and iphone reconnected via wifi. The ipad was attached to a power source, the phone was not.

Last edited:

alexberry

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
WiFi Sync Problems: Fixed

Good news! (I'm so pleased) I finally managed to sort out the problems I had preventing WiFi Sync from working on my desktop.

I all came down to the services I had running (or had disabled) on my Windows 7 (x64) PC.

Fundamentally, the problem is that I'm a PC tinkerer. I can't help trying to optimise everything in sight on my PC. So much so that some months ago, I had disabled a number of services that I didn't think I needed (as advised by various online sources).

I worked it out by installing iTunes on a laptop wired up to the same network as my desktop. My Apple TV was discovered without any problem, and my iPhone Remote App paired up straight away. None of this was happening on my Desktop. This told me the problem was not a network problem, but a problem local to my Desktop PC.

Firewall was configured the same and OK, and Bonjour service working the same on both.

Within the services.msc application, I discovered a number of services disabled on my Desktop PC that were set to 'Manual' on my Laptop, and that had been started (possibly by iTunes). I went through setting the disabled Desktop services the same as my Laptop. The offending services, I'm sure, were

Function Discovery Provider Host;
Function Discovery Resouce Publication

And now my iPhone just appears, via Wifi, in my Desktop iTunes.

I really hope this is of some help to others having similar issues with WiFi sync etc. It may not be the same services as were causing me issues, but it may well pay to try checking your services in general.

Alex.:D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox