iOS 5 Findings, Issues, & Fixes

not2lethal

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
YouTube embed movies

My only issue I have noticed is had some issues running YouTube movies embed in website. I have been able to watch videos like on this site before with no issues and since I upgraded the movie plays but the video area is black. I have reboot and then they work.

ToddP0530#AC

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Jailbroken?

If you're jailbroken make sure you delete the loader.app on that error. I had same problem on jailbroken iphone and deleted the loader.app file and all went smoothly.

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Update All issue

I have an issue on both my Iphone 4, and my wife's Iphone 4, where we go to the Appstore, and when there are multiple apps for update, we don't always get the "Update All" option, and we have to update each app one at a time.

Enzo83

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a few things in iOS 5. One: Noticed it lags when I go to slide to unlock, takes a bit to actually allow me to move left to right in app-screens....happens rarely, but I have never had the issue with iOS 4-honestly! Two: Sometimes, even when you turn phone back on, but when you go from your home with wifi on, then you leave it on (i tend to leave wifi on which switches to 3G when not in use of course), and I go to a friends house that already has wifi stored on my phone/pod, then I go back home--it takes a bit for it to realize where it needs to connect. Never had this issue with iOS 4--it either is not connected, or says Searching (I have never seen it say searching, come on I have Verizon thank you :)) 3: iMessages. I wish there were some kind of easier way to distinguish or have text pushed to this if its on an ipod or to a text because if you have an iPod and have the same email for imessage that I have for my sister under my phone contacts, it should not have to separate into two texts, one for just that email and one with the same contact name with her cell number. It can greatly confuse the crap out of someone, unless you make sure you re-do them as a separate contact with that email they are using for iMessages. So now her email is under her name-iMessages/Email and her phone number under her name-cell # without her iMessages in it. Hopefully she just gets an iPhone! lol.

Ooooh and I have another good one!!

You know when you get a text message and it shows on your lock screen--> Green text bubble with the name of contact? Well, why can't they have a Green Bubble--Contact Name--Text Message for regular texts, and Blue Bubble--Contact Name---iMessage for, well, you know. Wouldn't that be a bit better? I dunno, that's what I would have mentioned if I were a Beta user. lol.

Jzo

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
My only issue I have noticed is had some issues running YouTube movies embed in website. I have been able to watch videos like on this site before with no issues and since I upgraded the movie plays but the video area is black. I have reboot and then they work.

Same with me!

Diablo0

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Same for me on this as well. I usually have to go straight to youtube to watch when that happens.

Oh my 4S, one thing I also get that I have yet to see reported, maybe it's just me... in iMessage, when viewing a message in landscape and you reply using dictation, as soon as I hit the Done button the screen goes black. If I tilt the phone a little bit though it'll come right back, sometimes the transcription will be there and sometime it won't. Happens all the time but only seems to be when in iMessage that it happens. Curious if others can give it a try and see if it happens for them as well.

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a few things in iOS 5. One: Noticed it lags when I go to slide to unlock, takes a bit to actually allow me to move left to right in app-screens....happens rarely, but I have never had the issue with iOS 4-honestly! Ooooh and I have another good one!!

I have this happen every now and then too, but not just on the lock screen. I see it most often trying to swipe to answer a call from the lock screen. Every now and then it happens just after opening an app - the app pops up but the screen does not respond to touch for 3-5 seconds or so. It happens once or twice a day - not enough to be extremely annoying, but enough for me to notice. Using iP4 with iOS5.

akmolin

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of issues are things that people think that it should just work flawlessly. I mean really a lot of it seems like complaining. It's a computer there are always going to be issues when updating OS I'm sure Apple is aware and will be releasing an update to address the problems. I for one haven't noticed any real issues since updating to iOS 5

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing poor battery life since upgrading to iOS 5....all settings are the same as before..am on verizon with an iphone4...

odm3

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Caller ID

since i updated my device to stock iOS 5 some (not all) some of my contacts do not show up names when they call i made sure i am not saving them twice and that country code is there but still they do not show names when they call can somebody help ?

OmnigeekMedia

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Home button sloppyness and other iOS 5 issues

I tried to read through this entire thread, but its a lot.

Anyway, to the poster for the home button lacking responsiveness. I've noticed that too (iPhone 4, 32m Black - iOS5 GM). My home button isn't as bad as you describe, but sometimes a single press when waking up the phone brings up the iPod player/camera icon, sometimes it doesn't.

When its awake and I'm trying to multi-task it sometimes takes 2-3 tries to get the running apps up and going, other than that it jumps to the home screen then the search screen (which I've never ever used)

Now as for my other issues, sometimes I'll wake the phone up, go into email (or other apps) and after a couple of seconds the screen goes blank. I have to hit "Home" again to wake it up, it takes me back where I was for a second, then back to the home screen. I thought it might be related to trying to adjust the brightness, so I turned that off and it stopped, I turned it back on and the problem hasn't come back again. It started with the installation of Beta7.

Another issue, which seems to have cleared up magically today, is that email previews stopped showing up. I'd get the "From" and "Subject" and nothing else. I'd wait and wait (there was always a little delay for the preview to show up) but the preview would never come. I adjusted a setting in mail to try and show more lines, eventually I set it to no preview, then back to one line. Today they are magically showing up again. I dunno if it had anything to do with me turning the previews off and back on.

Facebook was pretty much non-functional until their last update, but its still much slower than the previous version on iOS4.

I have a couple of apps that simply crash when I try to start them (not apps that I use very often and they are free apps, so I'm not bothered by it).

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this has been posted already but...

On the iPhone 4s, the message app crashes when you try to send a picture and use dictation in the same message.

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I find the my email won't push anymore. I have tried it with yahoo mail gmail and the iCloud mail and it doesn't push anymore. I have to open the app for email to come through. It was working fine for me on ios 4.3.5. At first I was thinking maybe it was just my phone or maybe it was AT&T, even though it wouldn't push while on wifi either, but a friend of mine got the Verizon iPhone 4 last night and I tried with his phone running ios5 as well and that wouldn't push either. I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Battery Drain & Sound Issue

I have a couple issues, which Im sure will be fixed with an update soon..
  1. As it's been mentioned in other threads, I believe the battery drain in my husbands iPhone 4 and my battery drain in my iPhone 4S are iOS5 related, because his phone has a noticeable difference in his battery drain after updated to iOS5 and my 4S battery life is much worse than my iPhone 4 running iOS4.
  2. I also have some sound issues on my 4S. I notice after I use Siri, if I go straight to answering a text using the keyboard, the keyboard clicks are extremely loud for the first few words typed, then it goes back to normal. I have also had a few times when I have lost all my sounds, no keyboard clicks, not alert sounds, a restart resets the sounds.

Then tonight, the sound went off again and my husband called me and the sound when back on after the phone call without a restart, weird..

Anyone else having sound issues?

Last edited:

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I installed iOS5 last night and it's just not working. Previously I was running 4.2.8 jailbroken. Attempting to change a setting for SB Settings' icon sent the phone into an infinite springboard crash. I couldn't get 4.2.8 to restore, it couldn't finish the process. So I installed iOS 5. I haven't jailbroken it just yet. But I've had several annoyanes, and today a serious dealbreaker:

1) annoyance: the bootscreen apple and progress bar stay onscreen until the machine is locked and unlocked.

2) serious annoyance: Moving apps: When creating a folder, and trying to rename it, the OS quickly times out, sometimes in the middle of typing in the new name. Sometimes, I can only get two letters in at a time. Also, moving apps across multiple screens sometimes will cause the move to time out before one gets to the destination, particularly if on the destination screen you stop and look to find the folder you're putting the app in.

Dealbreaker: The phone app won't open. I've got two voice messages new today which I can't access because the phone app crashes when attempting to launch.

It just doesn't work. Trying a restore again; grr.

vinndy

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Battery drain problem solved

You are messing with your phone more on iOS 5 becuase it's new and exciting. Probably playing with settings more, changing things, "exploring" the OS which is causing the battery to drain quicker.

Crucial_Xtreme

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I cannot add contacts at all. The "+" symbol is gone as well as the ability to choose from SIM, all on iphone, etc etc options in contacts. Other than that, all is well.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I cannot add contacts at all. The "+" symbol is gone as well as the ability to choose from SIM, all on iphone, etc etc options in contacts. Other than that, all is well.

My "+" is still there. For both 4 and 4S. Try a hard reset or you have to to restore.