iOS 5 Findings, Issues, & Fixes

natefish

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just finished updating my iPad to iOS 5. I used the restore method because I was getting major backup delays. Anyway, it updated the iPad without any problem, but now it won't restore it. When it got to the restore option, it said it could not be restored and just quit. Quit...like it's no big deal that I can't get all my data back onto my iPad! Seriously?!

Anyone know how to manually dig into the backup file? If I lose all my app data, I might lose it.

Edit: I got it to start the restore finally, but got an error message when it got to the actual restoring. It was a 3xxx message, which are usually connection errors. So, I guess I'll try again in the morning unless someone has a better idea. Thanks.

Last edited:

JJJMan

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is an issue I had with the Beta versions as well as GM and Official release:

Bluetooth Audio volume control, when connecting to a BT device such as a car stereo (My example is the stock touch screen RCD-510 out of a 2012 VW Jetta)

the bluetooth connects and plays audio fine, but the volume on the phone is set to max and you cannot control it with the slider on the phone nor the bottons on the side, it moves like its adjusting, but no change to the sound coming out of the speakers.

this was not the case in 4.3, you could adjust the volume from both the iphone and stereo independently of one-another.

anyone else experiencing this?

bbtransplant

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok my only two gripes so far after the install yesterday are

1. I can't move the newsstand app into a folder or delete it

2. I now have to check / click even more tabs to get the phone to "ring for phone calls only" like when I plug the phone in at night (i'm a travel tech and always on call and always getting emails and messages) so at night i only want to be able to have my phone ring for an incoming call and nothing else to wake me up

But so far that's all i've come across that I don't like / can't change around. Everything else sorted out after the install and a couple reboots. If anyone has a simple fix to make the phone "ring only" i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
testing sync over wifi so far so good..

How did you get it to work? I have a 3GS(til friday!) I set up back up to icloud. And in itunes, i checked the sync over wifi box hit apply, but when I disconnect my phone, it disappears from device list.
The help screen says it should stay there until I eject it (from the icon).

BIG CAT 7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
When I go into Twitter now it shows blank boxes next to the tweets where the icons were.. Anyone else have this issue?

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice/figure out when you text somebody on iOS5 and the chat converts to imessages, that the contact name gets lost and it uses a new phone number with "+1 (area code)-(phone)" ? Do we have to add a second number for all contacts with iOS5 just with +1?

Ive added the second number version to a few and noticed sometimes when i go back to open our chat it doesnt register and the top of the chat doesnt show the contacts name (eventually it seems to though)

o_O

CarrierSignal

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Can no longer tether from my iPhone 3GS running iOS 5 to my iPad 2 running the last version of the OS. I can connect and everything seems fine but no data is being exchanged. The iPad times out when it tries to go to the Internet.

Will try this again after upgrading the iPad to iOS 5 tonight or tomorrow.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Had just a couple dissapointments with ios 5 on ipad 1 so far.
No multi finger gestures to switch apps or go to home screen etc.
Also, because of the new notification area, now i cant swipe the top of safari to scroll all the way up the page. I have to get used to not doing that anymore..

NotHomer

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I am at the restore point on my iP4 and it is asking me for a password. I don't remember setting a password. It is also telling me that my older backup doesn't exist. Anyone else have this issue?:confused:

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to figure out the "Function to convert voice to text" feature. Is this strictly a Siri/iPhone4s feature? I thought the iP4 would have it.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone else lose their album artwork? It's still syncing so I'm holding out hope that it'll be restored... That's kind of annoying though. I had to manually apply artwork for a lot of my music.

Yes!! I just noticed it this morning while on the train to work. That annoys the heck out of me. I'm going to sync again when I get home and hopefully it will be fixed.

lgroves423

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Iphone email error

When I try to go to mail on the phone I get this message:
Cannot Get Mail
The user name or password for "xxxx@gmail.com" is incorrect.

It is a gmail account that I have always used....any thoughts?

Last edited:

Cashflo21

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
App Store, Newsstand, iTunes, Twitter Crashing

Ok so I am a newbie so I apologize if this is a repost.. I just skimmed thru all the post in this thread and I didn't see if anyone else is having the same problem I am having and if it was solved already.. If so you can just redirect me..

Ok so here is my dilemma..

Last night updated my Verizon iPhone 4 to iOS 5.. It seemed like everything went great but I noticed last night that for some reason when I goto "App Store" I can only search for an app. I can't update an app as I click onto that option the App Store crashes. Whenever I click on anything besides the "search" option in the App Store, it ends up just crashing. While using iTunes on the phone I am able to see the home screen but when I select any song to view it crashes. Whenever I open the Newsstand when I choose an option to download a magazine or newspaper it crashes. Now for Twitter I know its intergrated into the iOS but when I try to open the app it doesn't load and just crashes. When I goto "Settings" on my iPhone and click on the Twitter option it doesn't load the next page and the screen stays frozen and won't clear or be able to interact with the page till I press the Home button and go back into settings from there. I really need help since it seems like everything else works fine expect for what I explained!! I like this iOS 5 so I really hope I can get it up and running at 100% :confused: :mad::confused::(

Last edited:

akmolin

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
everything went fine for me whole process took me a little under an hour to DL the update then applying it and restoring the phone with all my stuff

MikeB43

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes!! I just noticed it this morning while on the train to work. That annoys the heck out of me. I'm going to sync again when I get home and hopefully it will be fixed.

Had the same issue with artwork. Go to itunes and look at the albums without artwork. The problem with mine was user created stuff that didn't have the artwork on each song. Open the album, find the song with artwork, copy the artwork then select all or (CtrlA) the songs in the list and paste in artwork section on bottom left of screen where the artwork should show. All the tags will update. Then Sync your phone and voila! :D

mgruve

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Updated to ios 5 and everything went great. Works nice except my ringtones purchased from iTunes will not sync to my phone. Anyone have a solution for this. Tried everything I can think of.

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
When I try to go to mail on the phone I get this message:
Cannot Get Mail
The user name or password for "xxxx@gmail.com" is incorrect.

It is a gmail account that I have always used....any thoughts?

Double check your settings for the mail account and make sure the address and password are correct. If so, you may have to delete and re-add the account. I've had this happen before. It has also done this before, but ended up fixing itself. I am running as an exchange account.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The thing about iOS5 that is driving me crazy is not being able to swipe to close folders. I have to push the home button. It's going to be a hard habit to break.

My only glitch was losing nearly all the contacts I had texted, and losing 90% of my ringtones. I am hoping I can sync ringtones and get those back.

I'm going to do the iPad tonight, I guess.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes my camera gives me issues. When I take a picture, exit the camera app, and then open the camera app again it goofs up the layout of the camera. So, usually when you take a picture you will see the camera button on the bottom and to change the camera over to videorecorder all on the bottom (if you are looking at the iphone vertically with the home button on the bottom). When it goofs up the layout is now on the side and the the picture seems "scrunched". Something that would happen to my old Droid x. I really don't want to start from new since I have a lot of stuff on here but what should i do?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice