install as new or from backup?

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't aware we had the choice.

Last I checked it comes down and installs on your phone, and then you restore from a backup you've made previously.

Am I mistaken?

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
We get the chance to install as new or from a backup. I was just curious if installing as new is really that much better.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
personally, i always "set up as new". yes it is time consuming but this way i know i am starting fresh with a new OS

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
hey blink, how long does it usually take for you to "restore as new"? is it a long process? (i'm just talking about the restoring part, not resyncing everything). also, do you have a specific process of doing it? this will be my first time. i assume you restore as new then install the new OS and then resync?

iphone_guy

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna guess it's like ios4 was, back up, install, then restore it as the install will wipe it I bet. You back up, set up a phone as new, then restore....generally it will tell you what to do, as it's not one of the incremental updates.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
hey blink, how long does it usually take for you to "restore as new"? is it a long process? (i'm just talking about the restoring part, not resyncing everything).

not long at all, really (15-20 minutes) but keep in mind that the Apple servers will be getting hit hard this afternoon :)

also, do you have a specific process of doing it? this will be my first time. i assume you restore as new then install the new OS and then resync?

nope. just select restore and when given the option "set up as new" and yes i just sync my photos, music, videos & books afterwards. now with iOS 5 you can sync while setting up your device, or anything at that matter. very nice

EDIT: make sure to backup your photos from your device

Last edited:

sMhsn

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have installed iOS 5 GM release, now when it will be officially launched will i have to install it again??

Grafixx01#IM

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope that VZW doesn't do what they normally do and have updates to OSes for their phones released months behind everyone else!

Has anyone done this on the VZW iPhone?

I'm hesitant to do it just because I've already had VZW swap my phone 7 times in a year and this one, after two weeks, seems to be working...

But I probably just jinxed myself!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have installed iOS 5 GM release, now when it will be officially launched will i have to install it again??

as much as my OCD compels me to, i have decided to not. especially since the delta updates are surely to happen in the near future

iphone_guy

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Generally the GM version IS the same, BUT It requires a GM version of iTunes, and in order to get the newer incremental updates, you will have to re-update via the "public" release...at least that's how ios4 was when I had the GM version on my iMac.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77