Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    3,346 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Default Moving pics from camera roll to created albums

I did a search and didn't see anyone bring this up.

When I create a photo album on the phone and move pics from the camera roll to the album, it's not a problem. But when I want to delete those photos off the camera roll since i copied them into the album, the phone wants to delete the photo from both locations. I also created albums of my previously synced photo albums from iTunes. When i removed the synced albums, my newly created albums are now empty. Is this how the photo app is designed to work? I wouldn't want a mess of a camera roll and I don't want to have to keep my iTunes synced albums on there. Am I missing something?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,737 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I was wondering the same thing. I would like it if I could move it to the new album, and delete if from the camera roll. Hopefully this will get fixed with an update.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Global Posts
    3,346 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

It's annoying to say the least. Almost defeats the purpose of creating albums to be better organized.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think the albums you create don't actually have a copy of the picture, it's just a way of organizing your photo library—so really they are never moved out of the camera roll, you're just creating subsets of the whole library. Those new thumbnails still lead back to the original picture. Similar idea: when you add a contact to your phone's Favorites, it doesn't create a second contact file. It's just an easier way of sorting the whole.

(I think.)
    Last edited by Massie; 10-11-2011 at 01:47 PM.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Global Posts
    3,346 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    I think the albums you create don't actually have a copy of the picture, it's just a way of organizing your photo library—so really they are never moved out of the camera roll, you're just creating subsets of the whole library. Those new thumbnails still lead back to the original picture. Similar idea: when you add a contact to your phone's Favorites, it doesn't create a second contact file. It's just an easier way of sorting the whole.

(I think.)
    Yeah. I think what my idea was that it was actually moving the pic to an album. Or at the very least creating a copy.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Personally, I'd prefer it your way—I just want to move the dang thing. I'm guessing it was done this way so people wouldn't mistakenly keep two copies, using twice the storage. Though I don't see why just moving the file completely isn't offered as an option.