No more "iPod" icon? New "Music" and "Video" icons?

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
It appears from all of the screen shots that are on the Apple website that they have split up the "iPod" icon into two separate icons - "Music" and "Video". That means that I'll have to choose which home screen icon get the boot (unless, of course, I make a folder labeled "iPod".) And there is the fact that they are adding more built-in apps as well (reminders, newsstand, etc.)

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It appears from all of the screen shots that are on the Apple website that they have split up the "iPod" icon into two separate icons - "Music" and "Video". That means that I'll have to choose which home screen icon get the boot (unless, of course, I make a folder labeled "iPod".) And there is the fact that they are adding more built-in apps as well (reminders, newsstand, etc.)

It looks like "Music + iTunes" is one App, and Video's is another app, according to Apple - iPod touch - Apps that do great things. Already built in.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
That is correct. You can see more about it here in the iOS 5 forum, where this thread is now located.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site

That's right. They're 2 different icons, to make iOS more unified, a la iPad.

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Can;t put Newsstand in a folder? That is silly. It seems that it would go perfectly into a folder with iBooks. Are there other apps that can't be folderized?

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Can;t put Newsstand in a folder? That is silly. It seems that it would go perfectly into a folder with iBooks. Are there other apps that can't be folderized?

"Folderized" is my new favorite word! Awesome!

I had no idea there were some apps that couldn't be put in folders. I'll do some experimenting now.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Incorrect. Itunes, music, and videos are all 3 different apps now on Ios5. I posted a pic below of my screenshot.

With all the new features in iOS 5 I fear that Apple is making iOS too segmented. I loved the idea of an iPod app. A little icon of an iPod classic that, when selected, transformed my iPhone into an iPod. Now, two apps. In fact, I would think that iTunes, music and video should all be one app- like iTunes is on the desktop. I would love to see one app thar has multiple uses amd features. A true iCal app with calendar and reminders all in one makes sense to me. Perhaps Apple wants things to be more simple- not having to go into one app for multiple functions but what we are getting left with is a jumble of apps and icons.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
With all the new features in iOS 5 I fear that Apple is making iOS too segmented. I loved the idea of an iPod app. A little icon of an iPod classic that, when selected, transformed my iPhone into an iPod. Now, two apps. In fact, I would think that iTunes, music and video should all be one app- like iTunes is on the desktop. I would love to see one app thar has multiple uses amd features. A true iCal app with calendar and reminders all in one makes sense to me. Perhaps Apple wants things to be more simple- not having to go into one app for multiple functions but what we are getting left with is a jumble of apps and icons.

Yeh. And now we have Calendar, Reminders and Notes in 3 seperate apps also.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I personally dont like having Music and Videos as individual apps, but meh, oh well. I DO like the idea of Newsstand folding out like a folder, to the point that I hope Apple, eventually, allows other apps to tie into those API hooks to do the same.

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It appears they did this for consistency, but also to keep things updated. When Apple released the first iPhone, it was touted as the best iPod they've ever made in addition to everything else. Now that the iPhone market is so huge, they don't need to have an "iPod" app anymore, it's simply music and video.

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site

Would be great if we had the option to combine the two apps into an "iPod" app that had it's own icon (like the iPod app now.). You could keep them separate OR combine them. That would be applerrific!

gregorypleau

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
That stinks.

Well, I know even in current os I can't "folderize" camera, photo booth and FaceTime.

Never had a problem tossing the Camera into a folder on my iPhone. First thing I did on iOS5 since you can use the lock screen shortcut to get to that.

There's no FaceTime app on iPhone, and Photobooth is iPad so ... you're on your own for those two :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner