200+ improvements? Has Apple told us what they are?

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering what the 200 are, and which of my jailbroken apps will be made redundant in OS5. I've seen some places on the net that try to assemble all of the changes, but has Apple released its list? That's what I'd like to see. All I've seen so far is just the marketing message "more than 200 improvements"

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The list came out back in June when iOS 5 was announced. You can probably find it in the TiPb archives.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The list came out back in June when iOS 5 was announced. You can probably find it in the TiPb archives.

Good idea, but unfortunately, no list is referenced in the coverage in June that I saw (I did go back and searched the posts tagged with os 5. The coverage at the time is a list that covers what was in the WWDC keynote, and then there are a few posts afterwards of the "look at this change found in the beta!" type.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Notification Center

Non intrusive pop-up notifications. New notifications show in a notification bar which appears at the top of the screen each time a notification is received (including SMS, missed phone calls and regular notifications from 3rd party apps).
All notifications concentrated to Notification center: swipe downwards from the status bar to open it. Notification center shows a list of all notifications and widgets (widgets available only on iPhone and iPod touch).
Notification order can be arranged.
Choose Notification Type: Banner notifications, the classic pop-up notifications, or no notification at all (selectable on an app-by-app basis).
Notification list on lock screen. Swipe an icon to unlock and go to the specific notification.
Notifications announcing earthquakes with 2 minutes early (only in Japan).[74][75]

iMessage/Messages

Messaging between all iOS devices running iOS 5 through Wi-Fi or 3G. Allows to send text, photos, videos, contacts, and locations.
All iMessages and conversations will be synced between all iOS devices linked under a single Apple ID. You can start a conversation on one device and continue it on another.
Can message between multiple people simultaneously (group messaging).
Shows when other person(s) is typing.
Delivery receipts.
Optional read receipts (enable from Settings).
Animated GIF image support for iMessage.
Repeat alerts up to 10 times.
Ability to set how much time a message alert has to be shown again if you don?t respond to the phone when it notifies of a new message.
The name of the person that responds appears in small light blue text directly above the response when SMS is sent to a group.
Slight redesign for text messages. Font & time-stamp layout.
The keyboard (after being used to type an SMS/MMS/iMessage) can be hidden by scrolling down the part of the screen that contains the messages.

Newsstand

A new icon on Springboard, which opens to an iBooks-inspired folder which shows all papers and magazines downloaded from the App Store.
Subscriptions to newspapers and magazines available for browsing and downloading in a dedicated section of the App Store, stored in the Newsstand folder.

Reminders

"To-Do list" functionality in Reminders app.
Date-based reminder notifications.
Location-based reminder notifications that can be set to when you leave, or arrive a specified area (available on iDevices with integrated GPS only).

Twitter integration:

Tweeting from native applications: Photos, Camera, YouTube, Maps, and Safari using new Tweet Sheet which supports multiple accounts.

Music

iPod app now split into Music and Video (iPhone and iPad only).
Ability to play content while the device is synchronizing with iTunes.
Ability to delete songs from device (by swiping over the corresponding song).
Tap and hold on a song to view extended song information.
Long names scrolling in now playing.
Broadcast song information on devices (like car stereo) when connected over Bluetooth.
Improved Sound Check for Music.
?Group by Album Artist? option for Music.

Camera

Volume-up key as shutter release button to take photos (also works using headphone remote volume up button). Also works for starting/stopping recording of videos.
Shortcut to Camera App from Lockscreen created, accessed by double-clicking the home button.
Grid composition aide (3x3).
Spread to zoom-in, pinch to zoom-out.
Swipe left to reveal camera roll.
Tap and hold to lock/unlock Auto Exposure and Auto Focus.
Options button added, HDR toggle and Grid composition aide toggle.
New Camera Button on Photos.app that takes us back to Camera instead of a ?Done? button (on OS prior to this) to close the Camera Roll.

Maps

Print maps.
Alternate routes.
Traffic.

Calendar

Can now create, rename, and delete calendars right on the device.
Tap and hold or double-tap to create a new event.
Tap and hold in ?all-day events? to create a new all-day event.
Drag appointments to a new time slot.
Drag handles to change start and end times.
When creating a new Event, users will notice a new field titled ?Invitees.? Selecting the Invitees option takes the user to a screen where you can input multiple email addresses to invite multiple people to an event, and once all emails have been added and the event saved, emails will be sent out to all Invitees. When the Invitee has chosen between ?Accept? ?Decline? and ?Maybe? the reply is sent up into the iCloud servers and is reflected for all other Invitees to see. The Calendar event on your device will list those who have accepted the event. All users of iOS 5 devices will get a notification when the event is nearing.
Ability to specify a time zone to events.
Ability to add URLs to events.
Current time on Calendar if in landscape mode.
Navigate in day view by swiping.
Event attachments can now be viewed directly in the app.
Share calendars through iCloud with friends and family. Any edits made by any subscribers to that calendar will be updated and pushed to all subscribers of that calendar (this can probably be disabled by the creator of the calendar/locked so no one else can make edits).
Japanese or Buddhist calendars support.

Mail

Rich text formatting (bold, italics and underline).
Indentation control.
Ability to mark multiple mail items as read.
Ability to flag emails.
Draggable mail address in the recipients field.
Alert if the subject line is blank.
Search now includes body of messages.
Delete mails while in Airplane mode.
Exchange Activesync Email can now be deleted offline.
Can create new email folders.
Mail Sidebar.
S/MIME support.
Ability to show 1000 recent messages. 25 message option removed.
Ability to create additional @me.com email address within the Mail settings.
Ability to Increase Quote Level in Mail Settings.
New and updated tiny icons on Mail for Windows Live Mail, Gmail, Exchange etc.
Hotmail accounts now have new icons & folders.
While reading an email you can swipe right would open a list of messages and swipe left would bring back to the open email message again.
If you have multiple email accounts configured in Mail.app, swipe left or right from one?s mailboxes folder list, it will take you to another account?s mailboxes.
Support for three popular Chinese email services: Tencent?s QQ Mail, and Netease?s 163.com & 126.com mail inboxes.[76]

Photos

Built-in basic photo editing: crop, red-eye, auto-enhance and rotate photos.
Ability to create and edit local photo albums folders (only those that aren't synced with iTunes).
Ability to sync pictures taken on one iOS device automatically with other iOS 5 devices using Photo Stream.
Ability to select all when adding pictures to an album.
Slight re-design for video time-line under Photos app.

Safari

Safari Reader: On certain web articles, a new 'Reader' icon will appear in the address bar which will bring up a new window sheet over the current page sans any ads or clutter. Previous or following pages in the article normally required to open a new link will show up uniformly, only separated by a page break.
Ability to change font size in reader mode.
Reading List: a new area of the bookmarks window has been added purposed for pages you might want to read later called the 'Reading List.' New pages can be added from a new option in the action menu.
Items from the Reading List can be synced to iCloud to be pushed to all of your other iOS devices.
Safari bookmarks can be synced to iCloud.
Ability to open pages in background or in new page (change via settings).
Ability to search within a web page. When in a website, clicking in the search text field at the top brings up the keyboard with Find on Page search option (iPad 2 only).[77]
Ability to replace a word with a word from a list of similarly spelled words spellings when typing in a text box on a web page.
Private Browsing (interface colors change from blue to black. Change via settings).
Ability to remove custom Website Data.
CSS fixed position support.
Slight fade out at end of long URLs (instead of ellipses).
Super fast HTML5 draw support.
Kinetic scrolling within text fields in Safari.

iCloud

iTunes, iBooks (books and progress), App Store, Photo, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, Mail, Safari bookmarks and Reading List items, device settings, app data, iWork and backup data saved in iCloud and automatically or manually downloaded to all linked devices (iOS and Mac/Windows PCs).
All iMessages and conversations will be synced between all iOS devices linked under a single Apple ID. You can start a conversation on one device and continue it on another.
Backup homescreen layout on iCloud.
Document sync.
Ability to buy more storage.
Free upgrade to 256 kbps bit-rate for purchased songs if backing up on iCloud.
File names in iCloud Storage are case-sensitive.
Documents / Data can now be selected to sync with iCloud account.
Option to disable iCloud Sync via cellular network to save cost especially if roaming.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Center.
Sort and View friends on the basis of Points.
Friend Recommendations.
Games can be purchased from within Game Center.
Game Recommendations.
New Friend requests screen.
Native Support for turn based games.

Settings

Help Center: Learn more about every option under settings app to explore more about it.
System Services.
Hearing Aid Mode.
Ability to rename your device.
Ability to set up an AirPort base station or Time Capsule devices.
Ability to organize Notification Center items "Manually" or "By Time".
Can select which apps can be included in Notification Center.
Can select which type of notifications will be used for each app: banner notifications, the classic pop-up style notifications, or no notification.
Ability to turn off app badges.
On the ?Ringtone? and ?Text Tone? page, instead of showing ?new?, they are all in one category now.
Custom sounds for New Message, New Voicemail, New Mail, Sent Mail and Reminders alerts.
Ability to purchase text, e-mail and voicemail alert tones.
Under ?Mail, Contacts, Calendars?, on the bottom it shows ?Reminders? and gives an option to Sync.
In the ?Messages? section, the ?Alerts?, ?Show Preview? and ?Repeat Alert? options have been removed.
The Usage screen is improved and now shows how much of the memory is consumed by each app.
Storage usage clean up.
Backup to iCloud shortcut added.
Photo Stream settings.
Settings to automatically download new purchases that have been made on other devices (for music, apps and books). This can also be enabled or disabled for use on cellular when not connected to Wi-Fi.
Twitter sign-in OS-wide with support for multiple Twitter accounts.
Ability to set left or right for mono audio.
Ability to turn on and off sending of iOS diagnostic data to Apple.

Keyboard

Ability to create keyboard shortcuts (autotext) to replace custom phrases. By default includes ?omw? which expands to ?On my way!?.
New keyboard available for Emoji emoticons.
Define your own words in Offline Dictionary.
New keyboard with prominent # (hash-tag) and @ (mention) buttons for Twitter app similar to the ?.com? button when entering an address into the Safari address bar.
New Chinese-Pinyin keyboard spreading.
Quick Chinese input method.
List of associated words show on the top of Chinese input keyboard.
Function to convert voice to text.

PC-Free

iTunes/USB no longer required to activate new devices via a computer.
New welcome screen when using the device for the first time (or after resetting a device).
Ability to start fresh with no need to tether it to iTunes. Option to restore all data on a device through a simple iCloud sign in.
Ability to wirelessly sync to iTunes over Wi-Fi added (an initial tethered sync is required to pair them together and the setting must be enabled in iTunes).
OTA delta software updates: from iOS 5 forward, devices can now self-update the system software right on the device itself through Wi-Fi or 3G. No iTunes needed.

YouTube

Ability to play 480p/720p videos over 3G (iPhone only).[78]
Scrolling titles for YouTube videos.

FaceTime

Ability to call over 3G (iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi+3G only).[78]
Improved video quality.
Ability to set your FaceTime caller ID to be your email or your phone number.
Ability to mirror the FaceTime call on large screen.[79]

iTunes/App Store

iTunes Tone Store.
New Purchased History section.
Genius support for finding songs and apps similar to ones users have purchased previously.
Ability to completely disable in-App purchases.
iTunes password prompt.
Restrictions with password required for purchases if enabled.
Shows "Install" instead of price for previously purchased apps. Shows "Installed" for installed apps.
Additional ?iForgot? button on App Store if a user has forgotten their Apple ID password.
Simultaneous App downloads.
Custom tones for almost everything under ?Sounds? with ?Buy more tones? button.
Music app now has a ?Store? button that goes to the iTunes Store.

Contacts

Add family relations ("related names") to contacts.
Add social media info in to contacts.

VoiceOver

VoiceOver item chooser.
VoiceOver action support.
Arabic language support for VoiceOver.
Option to speak text selection.
New voices for VoiceOver.

Bluetooth

AVRCP 1.4 supported (sends track and artist info to supported devices).

Minor improvements / bug fixes

New rounded UISwitch graphic.
Ability to use the device while syncing.
Spotlight search now includes Reminders and searches through SMS messages.
Built-in system-wide dictionary (press and hold on a word gives the option to copy or define. Define brings up a view with definition of the selected word).
Ability to delete app data.
Fixed a bug that caused a song to crash for a second while switching to another application in the multitasking bar.
Apps fade to homescreen when they crash, rather than flicking off.
Multiple downloads run simultaneously instead of sequentially.
Option to automatically set the time (new for Wi-Fi only devices).
Switching the ringer switch to "on", the indicator now shows the volume level bar (iPhone and iPad only)

iPhone & iPod touch only

Notification Center

Option to display Stock & Weather widgets in Notification Center. Swipe weather left or right to get five day forecast.

Calendar

Week view in landscape orientation.

Clock

Ability to pause timers.

Weather

Weather for user's current location.[78]
Hourly updated weather of 5 day forecasts.

Stocks

Real-time stock updates..

iPhone only

Siri voice control (iPhone 4S only)

Voice commands are now executable for different users on device.
Device can now translate voice into text and backwards
Available in English (UK, US and Australia), French and German for the Beta period.

Phone

Enable/disable option for voice-dial if the device is set to security with passcode lock.
Delete individual calls in "Recents" Phone app. Clear button is now Edit button.
Make FaceTime calls without a SIM card.
?Unsecured Calls? warning lets users know if they are talking on unencrypted networks.
Shows city name or area/county in addition to number for unknown calls.
Time-mid call invitation alerts.

Option to have iMessages sent as SMS when iMessage is unavailable (enable from Settings).
Placeholder text indicates whether sending iMessage or Text Message in Messages.
SMS bubbles are green in color and iMessage appears baby blue.

General

Customized vibrate alert patterns (can be set per-contact).
LED flash alerts (iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S only).
Assistive touch gestures.

iPod touch only

New ?Message? option for iPod touch under settings to use iMessage using an email ID.

iPad & iPad 2 only

Keyboard

Split keyboard: Swipe up or pull apart to split keyboard in half.
Undock keyboard option: Keyboard can now be moved up and down the screen.

Mail

Swipe left to reveal Inbox when in portrait mode.

Calendar

Swipe left and right to change months.
Year view with heat map colors to show busy/free status.

Safari

Tabbed browsing.
Tapping and holding back button in Safari will show recently visited website history.

Music

All-new user interface.
Swipe to next song.
Skip tracks by swiping left ? right on album art itself when not on lock screen.

Picture frame

Ability to pick an event.

Multitasking gestures with 4 or 5 fingers:

Pinch to return to the Home screen.
Swipe up to open multitasking bar.
Swipe left or right to move between open apps.

iPad 2 & iPhone 4S only

AirPlay mirroring

Ability to connect with Airplay to an Apple TV, then everything shown on iPad is also seen on TV.

Videos

Ability to play 1080p content.

mitchdisaster

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
the only thing i see missing from the above list is the new week view in calendar. To me that is HUGE never noticed how much i used it on my Palm Pre+ until i switched to the iPhone and lost it.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
the only thing i see missing from the above list is the new week view in calendar. To me that is HUGE never noticed how much i used it on my Palm Pre+ until i switched to the iPhone and lost it.

I came from webOS too. The calender was cool because, it was in weekly format. iOS 5 is going to bring that kind of calender though! So look forward to getting all the joy of you're Palm Pre back into an iPhone :)

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I really love the idea of iMessage/Messages. I'm a BlackBerry user and am being tempted to get the 4S :)

I've tested Imessages with my own phone texting myself and a friends Iphone4 i put ios5 gm on. Imessages sends twice as fast. You almost don't see a loading screen for a second like you do sending normal sms. And the blue message bubbles in imessages is so much better looking than green.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Mustanglife, thanks for that list. From where did it come? You didn't say. And I hope you were able to copy and paste most of that and didn't have type it all up yourself!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR