Multiple devices with one iTunes account, what's going to happen with iCloud

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I am a little confused as to what is going to happen when iCloud and iMessage comes online next week. In our family I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2, my wife has an iPhone 3GS and an original iPad and my daughter has an iPod touch. We all share apps as we only have one iTunes account.

My question is, how will iCloud work especially backups? Also iMessage with just one account log in? Will we all need separate accounts for it to work properly?

Thanks
Chris

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you'll all need separate accounts for it to work properly.

You can all continue to use your shared iTunes account for app updates and song rights, etc. (even though you are not supposed to), but you will each need a separate iCloud account for messaging.

This is not really a bad scenario, though. Considering iCloud accounts are free to create from any iOS 5 device. The only downside is that if you want to upgrade your iCloud capacity or get iTunes Match, you will not all be able to get those features on the same account (again, unless you want to share an iMessage account).

Edit: On second thought there may be some kind of work-around involving the iMessage receiving settings on each device, but that might be tied to iCloud as well in backups, so I wouldn't count on it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you'll all need separate accounts for it to work properly.

You can all continue to use your shared iTunes account for app updates and song rights, etc. (even though you are not supposed to), but you will each need a separate iCloud account for messaging.

This is not really a bad scenario, though. Considering iCloud accounts are free to create from any iOS 5 device. The only downside is that if you want to upgrade your iCloud capacity or get iTunes Match, you will not all be able to get those features on the same account (again, unless you want to share an iMessage account).

Edit: On second thought there may be some kind of work-around involving the iMessage receiving settings on each device, but that might be tied to iCloud as well in backups, so I wouldn't count on it.

Who says that you aren't supposed to share an iTunes account for apps and music? Apple's position has ALWAYS been to allow 5 devices to share apps/music. And up to 5 computers to share iTunes content.

But to answer the question, yes, you will also need separate iCloud IDs for messaging, etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW