Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iOS 5 Twitter integration

With iOS 5 Twitter integration does it make more sense to use the official app instead of a third party app? How has it effected your twitter app use? I'm curious if this is going to kill most third party twitter developers.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 5 GM

I still prefer the third party app for Twitter - Osfoora. The embedded twitter is nice because it puts 'Tweet' as a option when you click the 'send' button on a photo, but as far as I am concerned, it's the only good part. #nothanks
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

You do not need to use the official twitter app to take advantage of iOS 5's new twitter features. Those features are already present, regardless of whether or not you download any twitter app.

You don't have to choose between third-party twitter apps and iOS 5's twitter features, the two are not mutually exclusive, and thus they really have no baring on people using third party apps.
     iPhone 4 32GB
     MacBook Air 13.3" (May 2011)
     iPad 2 16GB
    Thanked by:
    DikaiaKnight (12-29-2011)
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I really am a fan of some of the third party twitter apps too. I do like the idea process behind embedding it in the software.
    iPhone Newbie

What Jellotime says is true. The iOS 5 feature is for apps where you can easily tweet message and attach content without having to authorize each app you use by Twitter. It's a convenience, really and works in a similar way as eMailing from within an app. Also, that little sound effect you hear after each tweet is sheer class

Like with the mail app, you still need a Twitter client to manage your tweets. iOS 5 does not prove such a client.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    iOS Version

SO the Twitter official app is not required?

I'm betting Twitter unveils a nice update and desktop client at there in even in early Oct.
    iPhone Newbie

No, the official one is not required. A 3rd party one like Twitterrific will do. And if you don't want to manage your tweet than you won't need anything. I must say that I quite like the official Twitter app. It's a pretty slick app.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

The only two applications I like outside of the official app, Hootsuite and TweetDeck, both lack push notifications so unfortunately I'm stuck with the default app regardless.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Use any 3rd party app as you please
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Phil DeLong View Post
    The only two applications I like outside of the official app, Hootsuite and TweetDeck, both lack push notifications so unfortunately I'm stuck with the default app regardless.
    If you haven't already, check out TweetBot. Push works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    d-rob70 (10-05-2011)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

So you can sign into your twitter account via settings without actually downloading the official twitter for iPhone app and then take advantage of features such as posting pictures, websites, etc. directly through their respective apps via the new twitter integration in iOS 5? That is, I won't actually need the twitter for iPhone app actually display anywhere on my home screen, but I will still be able to use those features? Or will the actual app need to be on my phone?
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HeezyBear View Post
    So you can sign into your twitter account via settings without actually downloading the official twitter for iPhone app and then take advantage of features such as posting pictures, websites, etc. directly through their respective apps via the new twitter integration in iOS 5? That is, I won't actually need the twitter for iPhone app actually display anywhere on my home screen, but I will still be able to use those features? Or will the actual app need to be on my phone?
    Yep! Precisely.

You only need the Twitter app (or any other twitter app) if you're actually going to read the timeline and your @mentions and the like.
     iPhone 4 32GB
     MacBook Air 13.3" (May 2011)
     iPad 2 16GB
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Yea the embedding thing is really great but what can you do when you have to manage a lot of different twitter accounts? is there any sweet tweetdeck app available for iOS 5??
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellotime91 View Post
    Yep! Precisely.

You only need the Twitter app (or any other twitter app) if you're actually going to read the timeline and your @mentions and the like.
    Okay, that sounds awesome then.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default twitter questions

Is there a way to sync my iphone phone book to twitter? I used to be able to sync my contacts to facebook and thought i would be able to do the same with twitter but do not see a way to do it. Am I missing something or is it automatic? If its automatic it is not picking up on some of my contacts. Looking forward to any and all feedback. Thanks.
    Douglas Wilson
    Verizon iPhone 6 plus 64G and iPad 4G 32GB
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by douglaswilson View Post
    Is there a way to sync my iphone phone book to twitter? I used to be able to sync my contacts to facebook and thought i would be able to do the same with twitter but do not see a way to do it. Am I missing something or is it automatic? If its automatic it is not picking up on some of my contacts. Looking forward to any and all feedback. Thanks.
    It should be under Settings / Twitter / Update Contacts.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default twitter questions

I have a contact in my iphone that has a twitter account.Why is it that twitter will not associate the contact with his twitter account and there fore not add his twitter account to his contact information. I have gone under twitter and updated and it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Douglas Wilson
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

I'm a big fan of tweetbot, it looks good and has a lot of great features!
    "Hello my name is Kristy, and I'm an Appleholic!"

Twitter: @Kristy_Lyn
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0 b1

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy_Lyn View Post
    I'm a big fan of tweetbot, it looks good and has a lot of great features!
    +1 for Tweetbot! Great UI and great features! Especially love the swipe left and right to get replies and the whole conversation
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ion628 View Post
    With iOS 5 Twitter integration does it make more sense to use the official app instead of a third party app? How has it effected your twitter app use? I'm curious if this is going to kill most third party twitter developers.
    I use iOS 5 Twitter integration to tweet pictures. It's very useful. However, I still use Twitter app even though the last update sucks!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Another vote here for Tweetbot. It is absolutely awesome. And as it has been mentioned you can still use the iOS Twitter features without having the official app installed.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Is it possible to manually add social media addresses (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) to my contact list on my iPhone? I read on cnet that it was but can't find anything about how to do it. Thanks!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.705489,-95.439595
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Douglas Wilson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    iOS Version

and i have contacts with a twitter account that my iPhone 4S refuses to pull in. I have updated my contacts and still nothing. Is there a way to manually enter it? Thanks for the help!
    Douglas Wilson