ios 5 beta 3 downgrade

anon(415336)

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
jsntrenkler, have you tried restoring simply using shift/option+restore? Or is using a pwned dfu mode the only method for a downgrade now? Thanks :)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
jsntrenkler, have you tried restoring simply using shift/option+restore? Or is using a pwned dfu mode the only method for a downgrade now? Thanks :)

pwned dfu mode is the ONLY way to do it right now. In fact first time it gave me a error and then I just hit the restore button again in iTunes and I was good to go.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
pwned dfu mode is the ONLY way to do it right now. In fact first time it gave me a error and then I just hit the restore button again in iTunes and I was good to go.

I'm actually considering doing this. I get frusterated sometime with the bugs. But beta 4 might be only a week away.

joshmahoney

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
? Have your phone plugged in to the computer
? Hold down both the home and sleep buttons for 10s
? Release the sleep button and continue holding the home button for ~10s
? iTunes will pop up saying it's in recovery mode. Simply option+click on restore, and click on the 4.3.4 IPSW (google for it if you can't find yours)

You don't need any backups. You don't need any special software.
Quick and easy.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Haven't considered "going back" one time.

The only really annoying issue is the battery... it seems that every night when charging something happens to cause the USAGE and STANDBY times to be identical. The only way to fix it is to to a hard reset followed by topping off the charge... then the USAGE and STANDBY counters seem to work correctly and I get excellent battery life. Failure to do the reset/top off and battery meter sinks like the Titanic...

And yeah, there are a number of other issues that are nits to me - stuff that one would expect with a beta release...

Looking forward to B4... we've been here (B3) for about 10 days now... so it should be coming within a week or so.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
? Have your phone plugged in to the computer
? Hold down both the home and sleep buttons for 10s
? Release the sleep button and continue holding the home button for ~10s
? iTunes will pop up saying it's in recovery mode. Simply option+click on restore, and click on the 4.3.4 IPSW (google for it if you can't find yours)

You don't need any backups. You don't need any special software.
Quick and easy.

That method stopped working with Beta 3. Used to work on 2 and 1. Please be a little more cautious, we don't want to mislead people.

Last edited:

influenceuk

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I would say iOS 5 wont go to GM until at least September, when the next conference is and iPhone 5 will get announced.

Once announced it will be a few days (maybe a week) before the GM is released to devices, so they are able to use iMessage between all iOS devices. Only time will tell mind :) but thats my best guess.

bizfox

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That method stopped working with Beta 3. Used to work on 2 and 1. Please be a little more cautious, we don't want to mislead people.

Hi, I just wanted to say that the person you quoted was right in my situation for beta 3. I was curious to see if the direct DFU + restore method would still work, and it did for my iPhone 4 with no errors whatsoever. So, strangely enough, it does work for some people, but others may try additional steps to successfully downgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice