ios 5 beta 3 downgrade

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I just wanted to say that the person you quoted was right in my situation for beta 3. I was curious to see if the direct DFU + restore method would still work, and it did for my iPhone 4 with no errors whatsoever. So, strangely enough, it does work for some people, but others may try additional steps to successfully downgrade.

Crazy, glad it worked for you as it didn't work for me.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've done it. All i did was delete itunes 10.5 beta 3 install the latest released version, then of course itunes wont open cause it says the library was created by a newer version of itunes so close that and hold shift while clicking itunes to open(on a pc) and select a older itunes library (a pop up should open when you hold shift and click on itunes) then BAM turn your phone off plug it in and put in dfu mode then BAM again itune will recognise your phone in dfu mode and say it needs to restore. you cant go down to 4.3.3 cause i read they've stopped signing it but you will be able to go to 4.3.4. Hope that Helps.

After thats all done and it's back to 4.3.4 you may need to re-install some apps that you've purchased recently, but that shoud'nt be a problem. just go into the app store on your phone and in updates you should be able to go through all app's you've ever purchased and just click install.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I've done it. All i did was delete itunes 10.5 beta 3 install the latest released version, then of course itunes wont open cause it says the library was created by a newer version of itunes so close that and hold shift while clicking itunes to open(on a pc) and select a older itunes library (a pop up should open when you hold shift and click on itunes) then BAM turn your phone off plug it in and put in dfu mode then BAM again itune will recognise your phone in dfu mode and say it needs to restore. you cant go down to 4.3.3 cause i read they've stopped signing it but you will be able to go to 4.3.4. Hope that Helps.

After thats all done and it's back to 4.3.4 you may need to re-install some apps that you've purchased recently, but that shoud'nt be a problem. just go into the app store on your phone and in updates you should be able to go through all app's you've ever purchased and just click install.

So you were able to downgrade iTunes as well? Load all of your previous content prior to the iTunes Beta 3?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Huh, guess I answered my own question, if you want to downgrade iTunes beta just open terminal and enter the following;

sudo rm -fdr /Applications/iTunes.app

That's it. Close Terminal and install the older version.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I still say y'all were lucky. I didn't go through all that mess with iTunes, I just walked over to a pc that had an older version of iTunes and tried to restore - wouldn't work.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I still say y'all were lucky. I didn't go through all that mess with iTunes, I just walked over to a pc that had an older version of iTunes and tried to restore - wouldn't work.

That's cause you gotta put your phone in dfu mode then iTunes has no choice but to restore.

llfloyd79

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I finally downgraded from IOS 5 Beta 3 to 4.3.4.

I had to delete itunes beta and all the saved iTunes library files. I pretty much just deleted everything Apple and the itunes folder. I did a fresh install of regular itunes and then put my phone in DFU mode and I just hit the restore button! It finally worked.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I finally downgraded from IOS 5 Beta 3 to 4.3.4.

I had to delete itunes beta and all the saved iTunes library files. I pretty much just deleted everything Apple and the itunes folder. I did a fresh install of regular itunes and then put my phone in DFU mode and I just hit the restore button! It finally worked.

Are you on a Mac or pc? Where abouts on your computer did you find the iTunes library's?

llfloyd79

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you on a Mac or pc? Where abouts on your computer did you find the iTunes library's?

Im on PC. Im using Vista. They are located in the music folder, which is under the folder with your "screen name". In that screen name folder there is the downloads folder, contacts folder, pictures folder & etc.

I just deleted the whole iTunes folder. I did it on one of my other PCs. That way my music wasnt deleted on my main PC.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Anyone on Verizon have luck downgrading? I keep getting the ipsw is not recognized, no matter the tool (redsn0w, pwnagetool, iTunes... lol). FAIL haha. This is what I deserve I guess... haha

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
chirmer, why not Upgrade first?? suck it up and DO IT! :)

I would, but I'm really ticked off at beta 3 haha. So many bugs, and it seems like every day my phone works less and less... today my HDR stopped working completely, my camera could only take blurry pictures (and this is with the subject illuminated and not moving at all, with my phone propped so it would not be moving) and when viewing a pic full screen the top, where the status bar would be, showed that little portion of my wallpaper... no matter what I did. Drove me NUTS haha. If I hear good things about beta 4 then I probably will upgrade, but right now I need comfort. I NEED A STABLE RELATIONSHIP D: