Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Question iOS 5 Beta 3 Safari Performance - Any better?

How is Safari performance under the latest beta ?

Can someone run these benchmarks & share the results ?

- RightWare BrowserMark
    - Peacekeeper - The Browser Benchmark from Futuremark Corporation
    - SunSpider 0.9.1 JavaScript Benchmark (sunspider-0.9.1 test suite - In Progress...)

HTML5Test score seems pretty good btw: The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

While I have not run those benchmarks, I can say the performance seems on par with beta 2.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

There ls much less lag in beta 3, and it seems as solid as 4.3.3 was... I have not encountered any real issues with iOS5 beta 3 on my iPad2... I didn't load the beta on here until beta 3... but I have no complaints.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
    There ls much less lag in beta 3, and it seems as solid as 4.3.3 was... I have not encountered any real issues with iOS5 beta 3 on my iPad2... I didn't load the beta on here until beta 3... but I have no complaints.
    You had lag in the browser in beta 2?
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Well actually i'm curious if Apple has implemented Webkit2.

Comparing to some non stock Android browser (esp. in Cyanogen mod) Safari scores a bit lower from those tests. (and yes i know Cyanogen mods are also coming with overclock options to result to yield much higher scores)

I have an iPhone 4 and in real life usage most of the time browsing speed seems enough i would expect a little bit of a boost in a major release comparing to the previous.

Can you guys give us some numbers ? Since i don't have a dev account, cant play with those benchies myself
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

You're limited by processing power as well. An A4/5 isn't going to render as fast as a laptop or desktop. You can optimize of course, but you can't get around pure horsepower.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,530 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

I have iOS 5 beta 3 on my IPad 2, and the problem that I have with the browser is that it crashes/closes a lot.
    -I don't know who u are, I don't know what u want. If u are looking for a ransom, I can tell u I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills that I have acquired over the course of watching Chuck Norris in Walker, Texas Ranger, skills that make me a nightmare for people like u.

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.

http://i44.tinypic.com/v6roqw.gif
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,169 Global Posts

I am finding that Safari is the same (buggy/crashes) from Beta 2. After time, Safari seems to slow to a crawl and even become unresponsive.
    Co-Host On the iOSDocked Podcast
    PDA Lineage: Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond,iPhone 3G 16GB,iPhone 3GS 16GB/WiFi Ipad 16GB,iPhone 4 32gb,iPhone 4s 32gb,iPhone 5, Ipad 3,iPhone 5S, Ipad Air
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

I notice it will just start rendering blank white pages at times and more crashes than beta 2.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    iOS5 b3

Rightware Browsermark Score - 41231
    Peacekeeper - 574 points
    Last edited by FiftyPenceR8; 07-22-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    iOS5 b3

☀SunSpider 0.9.1 JavaScript Benchmark Results
    Content Version: sunspider-0.9.1

============================================
    RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
    --------------------------------------------
    Total: 3857.4ms +/- 0.5%
    --------------------------------------------

3d: 509.2ms +/- 0.8%
    cube: 192.2ms +/- 2.2%
    morph: 135.5ms +/- 0.4%
    raytrace: 181.5ms +/- 1.0%

access: 533.4ms +/- 0.9%
    binary-trees: 183.8ms +/- 2.4%
    fannkuch: 142.7ms +/- 1.0%
    nbody: 147.8ms +/- 1.0%
    nsieve: 59.1ms +/- 2.7%

bitops: 205.2ms +/- 3.9%
    3bit-bits-in-byte: 29.4ms +/- 4.8%
    bits-in-byte: 44.1ms +/- 15.6%
    bitwise-and: 60.9ms +/- 2.6%
    nsieve-bits: 70.8ms +/- 2.3%

controlflow: 25.3ms +/- 1.4%
    recursive: 25.3ms +/- 1.4%

crypto: 222.5ms +/- 0.8%
    aes: 131.1ms +/- 0.5%
    md5: 52.2ms +/- 2.5%
    sha1: 39.2ms +/- 3.9%

date: 649.2ms +/- 0.6%
    format-tofte: 335.6ms +/- 0.8%
    format-xparb: 313.6ms +/- 0.5%

math: 414.8ms +/- 2.1%
    cordic: 146.1ms +/- 5.9%
    partial-sums: 170.6ms +/- 1.3%
    spectral-norm: 98.1ms +/- 1.3%

regexp: 113.1ms +/- 0.5%
    dna: 113.1ms +/- 0.5%

string: 1184.7ms +/- 1.2%
    base64: 127.4ms +/- 1.8%
    fasta: 145.2ms +/- 0.4%
    tagcloud: 231.6ms +/- 0.7%
    unpack-code: 451.4ms +/- 3.0%
    validate-input: 229.1ms +/- 0.8%
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Thx a lot FiftyPenceR8 for the scores.

It seems according to iOS 4.3.x, iOS 5 beta 3 Safari performance gained around %7-8.

Considering final code would be more optimized i hope we can get around %10 or maybe a little more.

It's important for me cuz probably Safari is the app that i use most.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 4

Red face Font adjustment and column alignment in iOS 5?

Hi people, first post here!!! Anyway, I have 1 question about the Safari browser in the upcoming iOS 5 update: will it have the column adjusting ability of the Android browser - as in the re-sizing and zoom ability?

I love my iPhone 4 - I left Verizon for AT&T because of it (before the Verizon model came out, mind you) - but the tiny fonts that I can't adjust & the lackluster performance of the zooming compared to the Android phones I owned is just KILLING my eyes. I even need to wear reading glasses now - the fonts are soo darn small.

I hope this is finally addressed in the new update,...or is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks, from a nOOb.

PS: I forgot to mention - I'm using Safari quite a bit throughout the day, and I refuse to use another browser. I love my iPhone,...simple as that.
    Last edited by tds101; 08-10-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0 b.1

This is iPhone 4 iOS 5b5

Rightware - 48938
    Peacekeeper - 618
    SunSpider - 3690.3ms +/- 1.3% ????
    HTML5 - 303 out of 450
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,538 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
    Hi people, first post here!!! Anyway, I have 1 question about the Safari browser in the upcoming iOS 5 update: will it have the column adjusting ability of the Android browser - as in the re-sizing and zoom ability?

I love my iPhone 4 - I left Verizon for AT&T because of it (before the Verizon model came out, mind you) - but the tiny fonts that I can't adjust & the lackluster performance of the zooming compared to the Android phones I owned is just KILLING my eyes. I even need to wear reading glasses now - the fonts are soo darn small.

I hope this is finally addressed in the new update,...or is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks, from a nOOb.

PS: I forgot to mention - I'm using Safari quite a bit throughout the day, and I refuse to use another browser. I love my iPhone,...simple as that.
    Can one of you IOS5 users comment on this?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,530 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    I am finding that Safari is the same (buggy/crashes) from Beta 2. After time, Safari seems to slow to a crawl and even become unresponsive.
    Having this same issue, and I'm on beta 7. Anyone else on beta 7 that still has this issue?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
    -I don't know who u are, I don't know what u want. If u are looking for a ransom, I can tell u I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills that I have acquired over the course of watching Chuck Norris in Walker, Texas Ranger, skills that make me a nightmare for people like u.

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.

http://i44.tinypic.com/v6roqw.gif
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tds101 View Post

Thanks, from a nOOb.

It most likely wont auto adjust like on most android phones.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Can anyone with iOS 5 GM can post scores for iPhone 4 pls ?

From b3 to b5 it seems we got a really healthy gain [thx for the above people sharing] of which i weren't thinking it can hit to ~48k for rightware and above 6xx for peacekeeper.

Thx guys