Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Exclamation Unable to install IOS 5

I have downloaded and am trying to install the IOS 5 on my iphone 4 but keep gettin errors from itunes, is there anyways to bypass this with out the developers account...
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

You must also have the beta release of iTunes (10.5) to be able to install the iPhone/iPad/iPod iOS 5.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Newbie

I met a same problem...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    iOS Version

not really. It won't work properly. Actually, there are some things that will work (but not your Carrier service) if you want to go through the hassle, but it is still hit and miss.
    Everyone else is just confused...
    MKD
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

There are two ways to get iOS 5 to work on your phone:

1) Get a developer's account (expensive)
    2) Get your phone registered on a dev's account (bad idea, could brick your phone)

I had iOS 5, and it was great! But also really buggy and the battery life stunk majorly, so I'm back on 4.x and waiting patiently for a stable release
    C H I R M E R
    Graphic designer, classical musician, Paleo eater, evolutionary runner & all-around Apple fangirl.
    2008 Macbook (white, 4GB RAM) [sold] >> iPod Touch (1st Gen, 8 GB) [sold]>> iPhone 4 (black, 16 GB) >> 2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina Display (2.3 GHz 16GB RAM)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chirmer View Post

2) Get your phone registered on a dev's account (bad idea, could brick your phone)

I had iOS 5, and it was great! But also really buggy and the battery life stunk majorly, so I'm back on 4.x and waiting patiently for a stable release

I'm not a developer. Is it possible to get iOS 5 for my iPad and iPhone?
    BTW, is it stable if it's only for devs now? I'm really excited about iOS 5.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I believe the only legitimate way to obtain iOS5 is to be a developer, and I don't know how "stable" it is, but chances are you would run into issues running many apps as the point of releasing the betas to developers is to help them get their apps ready for the new OS. And I don't think Apple is allowing developers to publish apps based on iOS5 compatibility quite yet.
    --
    applejosh
    Present: iPhone5 32GB AT&T, iPad Air 64GB Verizon, early 2011 MBP
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

If you are not a developer, or working for a developer, you should not attempt to install iOS 5 at this point. While it is more stable than past betas, there are a number of apps that no longer work on it, and a few problems with daily working (camera, bluetooth, etc.) that you don't want to subject yourself without compelling reason.

Just wait for it to be released to the public by Apple.

Global Posts
    3,500 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am still enjoying Beta 1 but as mentioned above, Battery Life and app support are missing for some apps, for me though I don't think I could go back to 4.3.3 I am too used to the notifications system, Reminders, and the new and improved Calendar app.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0 b.1

First I had installed iOS 5 with a restored back up. It slowed down my phone, so i downgraded to iOS 4. I got annoyed with the pop ups while playing my games. so pretty much i restored my iPhone to iOS 5 and set it up as a new phone, and now it works really good.
    iPhone Nanite

Not sure where some of the info is coming form... a developer's license isn't expensive, $99. if you want ios bad enough just pay the $99 and have some fun with xcode on the side.

I ran beta 1 from basically day 1 and only found a few bugs, it was definitely what i would call stable (for a beta), yes there were a few bugs (mail showing up multiple times) some apps not working, but if you want to play in the sandbox you are going to get some dirt under your fingernails.

I agree with migueljonathan, it is a bit slower and laggy, the battery is definitely drained a bit faster too, but it's a beta! it's supposed to be a work in progress.

Installing beta 2 right this second to see how it goes.

And if you are wondering yes it's installing on my normal phone that I carry everyday.
    iPhone Nanite

Netflix still isn't working under beta 2

wifi sync is enabled in beta 2 now.
    Calendar is showing up on notification screen don't believe that was there before
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by mpacker99 View Post

wifi sync is enabled in beta 2 now.
    Calendar is showing up on notification screen don't believe that was there before
    The Calendar entries weren't there before, but the alerts were if you had an alert set... but not they are there and there doesn't appear to be a way to clear them.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by mpacker99 View Post
    Apps that don't work will continue to not work until they can be updated. That's why this is a developers' beta, so developers can get their apps ready to run on the new os.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,540 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Apps that don't work will continue to not work until they can be updated. That's why this is a developers' beta, so developers can get their apps ready to run on the new os.
    Also considering that developers aren't able to load 5.0 binaries at this time.
    iPhone Newbie

if u'd expect a stable beta ver. ur wrong.
    just wait for the final release and u'll be just fine.

ghostface147 said "Also considering that developers aren't able to load 5.0 binaries at this time."

so remember. a lot of apps will be unstable or unuseable on betas.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

personally, i'd rather deal with a slightly buggy iOS 5 than a stable 4.3.3 at this point. previous versions were pretty boring, IMHO

no complaints from me
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

The way I look at it if you want to run it pay the $99 to become a developer. If you think that is too much to pay then wait until it's released to the public for FREE. If you have a friend who is a dev and you are tech minded then you're on a different level because you understand running a beta.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    The way I look at it if you want to run it pay the $99 to become a developer. If you think that is too much to pay then wait until it's released to the public for FREE. If you have a friend who is a dev and you are tech minded then you're on a different level because you understand running a beta.
    Poetry. Just shear poetry. Don't mess with what is not intended for you. There is a reason apple does not release public betas.
    "I can teach you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite"
    --Dale Gribble
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0/5.1.1

Sorry dude. Can't get iOS 5 without your UDID registered on a developer account. But you can always enter Cult of iPhone's UDID contest!
    Alex Nguyen
    Founder and CEO of iAppzTech, LLC and EvasionSERVERS, LLC
    Email: alex@alexn.in
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by chirmer View Post

Totally agreed. I used it and drained battery like crazy. Although I have charger around most of the time when I go out I don't want to have to worry about battery.