Installing iOS 5 remotely?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

So a friend of mine is an app developer (or at least in Apple's eyes he is - he pays the $100 fee each year). He has the iOS 5 beta and offered to load it onto my ViP4. He said he can install the beta on up to 100 devices.

My question is this. Is there anyway he could send me the ipsw file and I load it onto my phone? We have been having some problems getting our schedules to match up the past couple of weeks and I'm itching to take iOS 5 for a test drive. If anyone knows a way to install the OS on my phone without having him do, I'd really appreciate some instruction!

Thanks!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
He shouldn't need to load if at all?once he adds your UDID to the dev program you should be able to download and install it yourself. (Make sure you first dl the necessary iTunes beta.)

Chobie Chobes

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
You could just get the ipsw from any of the many sources on the internet and use that. As long as the UDID is registered you don't even need to see your friend :)

Do note that once you upgrade you won't be able to go back, and that it is a beta so it will have a fair few bugs in it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
He shouldn't need to load if at all?once he adds your UDID to the dev program you should be able to download and install it yourself. (Make sure you first dl the necessary iTunes beta.)

Adding the UDID makes the device eligible for the beta iOS... but you still need access to the developer site to be able to download the ipsw file...

As Alli said, he could get the file and send it to the OP... not sure how kosher all of that is with Apple, but it certainly could be done... And it's not like the iOS5 beta1 ipsw doesn't already exist "in the wild", Apple's NDA notwithstanding.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Adding the UDID makes the device eligible for the beta iOS... but you still need access to the developer site to be able to download the ipsw file...

As Alli said, he could get the file and send it to the OP... not sure how kosher all of that is with Apple, but it certainly could be done... And it's not like the iOS5 beta1 ipsw doesn't already exist "in the wild", Apple's NDA notwithstanding.

It's kosher. Why do you think Apple allows up to 100 UDID's per account? Devs don't allow us beta testers to log into their accounts to download. They hand us the file and say "here, install this." Same as they do for the app betas that we need to test on the os beta - which, of course, is the whole point.

Cause if I get one more email from a customer saying "your app crashes on iOS 5" I'm going to go postal. Evidently too many people are getting hold of the beta with no clue what they've got or what they're supposed to be doing with it. /rant

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's kosher. Why do you think Apple allows up to 100 UDID's per account? Devs don't allow us beta testers to log into their accounts to download. They hand us the file and say "here, install this." Same as they do for the app betas that we need to test on the os beta - which, of course, is the whole point.

Cause if I get one more email from a customer saying "your app crashes on iOS 5" I'm going to go postal. Evidently too many people are getting hold of the beta with no clue what they've got or what they're supposed to be doing with it. /rant

I can relate, Alli... people want the latest and greatest (even if it's the not-so-greatest) without understanding what it is... line 'em up and shoot 'em. It IS the only way, because otherwise, they vote and produce offspring that they "get" to rear.

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Evidently too many people are getting hold of the beta with no clue what they've got or what they're supposed to be doing with it. /rant

People with the beta who know not what they're doing? :eek: Alli, surely you jest. ;)

Posted with Tapatalk

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if I wasn't clear?while it's true the OP wouldn't be able to download it from the dev site, he could certainly get it elsewhere or via email, etc. All I meant was that he didn't need to actually meet with his friend.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
We knew what ya meant, Massie. We just kinda took it and ran in our usual circles....screaming and shouting the whole way.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal