iOS 5 Beta Set to Expire August 4th

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
iOS 5 Beta Set to Expire August 4th

If you are currently running the beta build of iOS 5 on any of your iDevices, you might want to read this. That goes double for folks using the firmware that don?t have an Apple developer?s account.

Known jailbreak developer iH8sn0w warned the Twitter nation yesterday that the iOS 5 Beta 1 has an expiration date. Once expired, the firmware will lock you out of your device until it?s downgraded or iOS 5 officially launches?

The iOS 5 beta version released last last week will be deactivated on August 4th. The process can?t be stopped because it happens at boot level, and there?s currently no boot-level exploit for iOS 5.

What does that mean for users who have installed the beta firmware on one of their devices? Not much if you were smart and saved your SHSH blobs from your previous firmware. Folks that did can downgrade at anytime.

Registered Apple developers also don?t have much to worry about. It?s extremely likely that the next beta will have been out for weeks by the time the first beta shuts down. You?ll be able to upgrade to the new firmware as usual.

This will likely also be the saving grace for users who didn?t save their blobs. As with the first beta release, there is a good chance that the new software will be made available somewhere on the web.

The bottom line is, when iOS 5 Beta 2 is released, make sure you either update or downgrade back to 4.3.3. Any device left running the original beta after August 4th will likely lock down until a newer firmware is available.

source: iPhone Download Blog

i can see it now "OMG!! my phone is bricked!!!" :D :D

Travisimo

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This makes sense and is something everyone *should* have expected before upgrading to the beta. If you did it legitimately by registering as a developer, then you have nothing to worry about. I know the excitement of trying a new software release is tempting, but going about it the wrong way can just cause lots of headaches. I think there was plenty of warning out there (from TIPB and beyond) letting you know what you're getting into if you install the beta.

It was actually a pretty big decision for me, honestly. I installed it on my main phone, and despite some bugs and apps that don't work properly, it's pretty stable and I will continue to upgrade to the latest beta's until the official release in September. But I also plan on reporting bugs to Apple in order to make this major release the best it can be!

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I guess this applies only to people who downloaded it without registering the UDID with a developer account right ?? I'm not a developer but got my udid registered by a mate.
works pretty good for me too, pretty stable for a first beta.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
This should be an exciting time in these forums :D There will be alot of my phone is bricked is there anyway to get it back!!! posts lol

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Apple will push out Beta 2 as an over-the-air update as that is a new feature of iOS5, so it would make sense to test that feature during the beta as well

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
the update for beta 2 will be out before then. i would think sometime in July. and beta 3 in aug/sept. if you bought your $5 udid will prob have to do another one again. us who have actual accounts should be fine. =)

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
the update for beta 2 will be out before then. i would think sometime in July. and beta 3 in aug/sept. if you bought your $5 udid will prob have to do another one again. us who have actual accounts should be fine. =)

nope, just confirmed the udid is registered for 12 months or when the developer's account expires, no need to add the udid again, we'll see how apple does the updates...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
nope, just confirmed the udid is registered for 12 months or when the developer's account expires, no need to add the udid again, we'll see how apple does the updates...

That's a BIG reason I couldn't imagine buying a slot for my UDID online...how can I trust that someone's dev account isn't going to expire next week?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
mmm...not sure if that's exciting..

Did you see the face?? obviously I was being sarcastic. I also don't think Massie was talking directly to you but was talking about people who did buy it online and there are some.

Anyway I was saying in another thread I just don't think they will do it OTA until the OS is official. I know the next beta will be out lomg before this one expires but gauranteed that people who have never used a beta before and don't know it will expire or that it would lock down the phone there will be posts.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Did you see the face?? obviously I was being sarcastic. I also don't think Massie was talking directly to you but was talking about people who did buy it online and there are some.

Anyway I was saying in another thread I just don't think they will do it OTA until the OS is official. I know the next beta will be out lomg before this one expires but gauranteed that people who have never used a beta before and don't know it will expire or that it would lock down the phone there will be posts.

didn't see the face, my bad. Hopefuly they will end up doing OTA... let's wait..

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It would be cool if they did. I just am dying to see what they fix with the next release. There are some small things on the iPad that need to be fixed up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods