iOS 5 Beta?: Take my advice... DON'T!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashstruck

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello All! First post in this forum.. Owned an iPad2 since 2 months ago and loving it!

I've been scouring the internet for advice about what to do but haven't found any so here's my lil tip.

I'm not a developer. but I attempted to install the iOS5 beta on my iPad 2 wifi and boy was it a hellish experience!!! After installing the software as instructed, I was greeted with a screen on the iPad 2 and iTunes that mentioned that I hadn't activated my iPad 2. I had seen on so MANY websites about some lil tricks.. like pressing home button three times, etc to bypass it but NONE of it WORKED!!!

I panicked and began the hunt for a solution and low and behold, I wasn't allowed to restore it cos iTunes completely blocked any access to the ipad without activation under the developer program. I was't a developer. And I was contemplating paying the $99 subscription to get use of my iPad again! I had read that various people tried approaching apple staff who refused to advice at all because installing the iOS5 beta when you're not a developer isn't what we're meant to do... and well it's frankly quite stupid.

Anyways, I found a solution which was to go to a website that registers your UDID for you. I had to pay them $7, which is a small price to pay, and they had registered it for me within minutes under their developer account. Yes, just minutes. I won't say which site it was because I don't want this to seem like some sorta advert for them, but you can google them and there are a few. You also need to make sure that you have your UDID noted down, or if you're in my position, you use a software called iPhone enterprise something on apple.com to get it.

Anyways, it all worked out a-OK in the end.. and I've got my iPad 2 working with iOS 5 beta 1 on it. It's HEAVY on the bugs. e.g. It turns OFF on its own overnight, it has frozen on me twice already in 12 hours-- requiring a reset, and it also is quite "laggy" when opening apps.

My advice: Stick to iOS4.3.3 .. I've been told that I can't switch back to iOS4 once I've gone up to iOS5.. so I haven't even tried. If anyone has, please lemme know how it went. I suspect the next time I'll be mucking about with anything apple ever again will be awhile. I don't know enough about the iOS system and mac software, etc. Maybe in time...

Hope this helps someone out there!

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I'd agree that the beta isn't perfect?that's why it's a beta?but this seems more like a case of leaping before looking. A little research beforehand would have saved you a lot of headaches during that "hellish experience."

dsjr2006

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
No offense, but you tried to game the system and it bit you. If you have done it right you would have registered first anyways, there's always a price to pay when you use a loophole or hack.

Nashstruck

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but you tried to game the system and it bit you. If you have done it right you would have registered first anyways, there's always a price to pay when you use a loophole or hack.

None taken. I agree completely.

This was meant to help/warn anyone who has been or intends to be that dumb really... Just wait for the official ios5 was my take home message.

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
What???? Come on now. It runs amazing on mine. I have had no issues with it. I installed iTunes 1.5 and then loaded the file as a registered developer and had added my udid to the active list like you should if you want it to activate. Running it since day one and runs as good if not better than 4.3.3 did. 20 mins for e whole process. You just needed to read and do your homework first before doing it was all. Also being a developer account is a good idea not cheating the system. Because when beta 2 comes out and that way around the activation doesnt work then your device is useless. You could just install iTunes 1.31 and restore if you saved your shsh blobs.

Tattedgeek

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Why didn't u just put in dfu mode the do a restore through iTunes back to 4.3.3 and not pay for a udid registration iOS 5 is very buggy on my iPad 1 wifi as well so I went back to 4.3.3 on it as well

Nashstruck

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Why didn't u just put in dfu mode the do a restore through iTunes back to 4.3.3 and not pay for a udid registration iOS 5 is very buggy on my iPad 1 wifi as well so I went back to 4.3.3 on it as well

iTunes blocked any access to the information on the iPad and didn't provide me with any options. When plugged into iTunes, it would only state that the device was not registered and I had to contact apple support.

RMskater

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
None taken. I agree completely.

This was meant to help/warn anyone who has been or intends to be that dumb really... Just wait for the official ios5 was my take home message.

This post is meaningless. It is HIGHLY understood that you need a dev account to install a beta, and that if you don't, you take a risk. Your post's title is misleading, as the beta is much more stable than previous betas and you definitely need to understand what the definition of a beta is.

soc

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
sorry guys, how do I get hold of the iOS 5 for the iphone 4, do I have to become an App developer then pay $99?

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
If you're not a dev, and you found a way to put the beta on your device and you have problems, oh well, that why it's a beta for devs only, some learn the hard way.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OP I'm not trying to be a jerk but I think it's good that you had to pay to get your device unlocked in essence. This will teach you a lesson, I have quite a few friends who paid to become developers to use the beta. You seem like a decent person making this thtead to warn others but trying to get the beta without paying the fee to me is just as bad as trying to get cracked apps whether it is a beta or not. I also run it on my iPad 2 and haven't had any problems beyond the usual bugs and I love it. So I think you present a biased opinion, instead there is a bug report thread which gives a much more balanced view of pros and cons.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with everyone here. You should have understood the requirements before installing the beta. Is it not obvious you need to be a dev when apple won't even let you access the site without a dev account?

As far as the stability goes id say its much more stable than previous betas.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
To the OP: What did you expect when using a hack to activate with known data connectivity issues?

nelson-laughing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods