Anyone try the iOS 5 beta yet?

naeubanks

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just started downloading the beta, has anyone tried it yet? I only have one iPhone on me right now so I don't want to screw it up if there's something wrong with the beta and can't go back to 4.2.8

mwohrlin

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Patience my friend. If you only have one iphone, do not load the beta unless you want all of your apps to stop working. The beta is supposed to be used by developers that have extra iphones strictly used for testing purposes only.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Can you explain how you did this?

at the very least, you need to be a registered and paying iOS developer.

the rest of the instructions are found on the developer site.

i apologize for being harsh, but its beta software, and should be used for development purposes and testing by developers. downloading a copy and installing it, may cause problems.

Reactions: southunder

naeubanks

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
All you have to do is get a hold of the ipsw and option click on restore in iTunes, select the ipsw file and iTunes walks you through the rest. Mine restored with all apps and data intact and took no time to sync up. Calls work, MMS/SMS works, camera works, notifications work, Skype works, mail, contacts and calendar works. I'm impressed. Obviously I can't comment on new features due to the NDA but this could definitely be used a daily driver.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a dev account.

The builds are beta, and as such, could potentially be feature incomplete. That said, the builds are also functional and can be used as a daily driver, as long as you understand that you cannot roll back to a previous firmware version.

I'm on the fence. I only have one iOS device at this point.

I've been running Lion for a while now, and I have to say, the dev previews are pretty solid.

bankz

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I got the ios 5 beta but the problem i'm having that i not a developer so the iphone activation is not working!! Talk about PC Free HAHAHAHAHAHAHA now that's a joke!

bankz

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I Got the IOS 5 beta Download with the New iTunes On My PC Installed with No Problem!! BUT:mad: The Problem I'm having That I need to be a developer so the iphone activation is not working from the Pc or Pc Free!!! SMFH!! Need Help!!

trevgriff#IM

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The beta expires shortly after the next beta is seeded. I believe you have a handful of days before your phone is bricked.

I have a quick question the company I work for is thinking of getting a dev account, and I was wondering if we put the 5.0 beta on a Verizon iphone 4 is there no going back to 4.2.8 for that phone? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: dmt316

mi_canuck#IM

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
got the dev account... got my UDID added to my dev account... but still no luck in installing... if using itunes, and point to the ipsw... get 3002 error... if I use xcode to update to ios 5 beta... get a message stating something like "this device is not eligible"... wtf?

got itunes 10.5 beta... got the xcode sdk for snow leopard - which i'm running on my macbook pro... got the correct iphone 3,3 ipsw for the vzw cdma iphone 4... still no luck... wondering if the issue is with my MBP, or is there is something i'm not doing...

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You have to add your device to your developer account, then restore in iTunes using the new recovery.

If you don't register your phone as a dev phone, you cannot install iOS 5.