ios 5 Coming Soon....?

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I'll only be excited if my ViP4 is upgradeable to iO5

Haha no kidding. ViP4 will be stuck on 4.2.6 for the life of the device!

If we don't get iOS5 at the same time as the GSM iPhones then Apple can't use the Android fragmentation argument anymore lol.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
My grips with the iPhone and hopefully addresses in iO5:

Better email options (aka read all), download attachments natively
Better notification/alert system: different alerts for different apps and email accounts, better notification bar.
Improved push notification: iPhone seems to be a hit or miss on push notifcations.

JasonR02

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Haha no kidding. ViP4 will be stuck on 4.2.6 for the life of the device!

If we don't get iOS5 at the same time as the GSM iPhones then Apple can't use the Android fragmentation argument anymore lol.

Yeah, one of the reasons I made the jump from Android to the iPhone was because of the fragmentation. I was tired of having a Droid phone that wouldn't get an OS update until several months after it was placed on other Android phones. I thought the iOS would get upgraded at the same on Verizon as the AT&T one. If we don't get it soon I'm going to be a bit disappointed in both Apple and Verizon.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, one of the reasons I made the jump from Android to the iPhone was because of the fragmentation. I was tired of having a Droid phone that wouldn't get an OS update until several months after it was placed on other Android phones. I thought the iOS would get upgraded at the same on Verizon as the AT&T one. If we don't get it soon I'm going to be a bit disappointed in both Apple and Verizon.

Was certainly part of my decision as well. Though I am very confident that 4.3 is just a special circumstance I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth than sit here and guess all day. Apple should come out an say that VZW is scheduled to get it or if we are waiting until iOS5 for an update.

cp9102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing the iPhone 5 when it comes out this summer (June) will come with ios 5 at which time then previous iphones (i.e. iphone 4) will be able to get ios 5. Just a guess as that would make sense, but then again what about any of this ever makes sense.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Does the fact that your Verizon iPhone came with an OS, and personal hotspot capability that the rest of the iPhone universe didn't have contribute to your disappointment??

We'll get an iOS update when it's ready, and known to work very well. I'm more than OK with that.

Reactions: WyckedAnkh

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Does the fact that your Verizon iPhone came with an OS, and personal hotspot capability that the rest of the iPhone universe didn't have contribute to your disappointment??

We'll get an iOS update when it's ready, and known to work very well. I'm more than OK with that.

+1 for me.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It'll hopefully be announced next month.

Fragmentation - a lot are really confusing what fragmentation really is. The current Android OS is 2.3, but there are devices coming out with 2.2 and I believe even 2.1 (xperia). When the Verizon iPhone came out, it didn't have an old OS, it actually came out with a more recent one. Also with apple, a majority (if not close to all) the apps are backwards compatible. A lot of apps now are made for Retina Display, but they still work on the 3GS and even 3G. Also, look at how Qik is made for specific devices. Qik for the Atrix or Qik for the EVO. Both on the same OS, but have to have different apps made for them.

I do believe both will drop at the same time, but even if it is a month or two after the GSM version, that's not the same as what Google is doing with Android. Right now, I can't even use Tango with my Atrix, yet other devices may be able to use it.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Duvi is definitely right about fragmentation. We make jokes about it but Apple is far from fragmented. Android is absolutely horrendous and I believe, unless they get it together, that a great OS will never reach its full potential.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Do we know if the verizon iphone 4 is getting this update?

I hope you're joking.
Also it should be fairly obvious that iOS 5 is coming. It gets updated pretty much yearly. And this article is misleading in that it makes people think that the OS will be released in April when it's more likely that it will just be announced and then released later.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If U were to ask me, Apple has to many updates. It irritates me that every time I hook up the phone, there is another xx mb update.

Just saying how I feel about the fact they do not do patches. Instead they do the entire os.

Last edited:

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
If U were to ask me, Apple has to many updates. It irritates me that every time I hook up the phone, there is another xx mb update.

Just saying how I feel about the fact they do not do patches. Instead they do the entire os.

As updates in general, far from too many. I do agree though about patches vs entire OS updates. Must be a reason for them to only offer a full ios update vs both full and patch.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yep I agree there must be a reason, like no scewups. But only hi speed I can get is Hughs Net and I only get so many MB a day and Apple can ruin my day. Otherwise I would not care.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner