Folder Hierarchies in iOS 11?

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Folders are easy to create for image storage, but I would like to see the ability to create subfolders. For example, create an image folder for a grandchild - then subfolders for birthdays, Easter, graduation, etc.

Is that something other users would like to see? It's been available on Undroid for a long time. Or is it something most of us deem unimportant?

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I've created sub folders in Photos and else where on iCloud. For example, I have an album (folder) for "Artistic" photos and a sub album for "Black & White" pictures. That should work for you.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I've created sub folders in Photos and else where on iCloud. For example, I have an album (folder) for "Artistic" photos and a sub album for "Black & White" pictures. That should work for you.

Good thought, I appreciate it! My only issue with iCloud is the fact that it provides only 5gb of storage for free, and I have about 6000 photos ↑↓ (translates to around 14gb) that I would like to move onto the iPhone. It's actually the primary reason I chose to get a 64gb iPhone SE instead of the 16. :)

Maybe I need to buy the extra space on iCloud, but I may just design a single-tier plan for organizing my photos on the device. But I'm hoping for an upgrade with iOS 11 . . .

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Good thought, I appreciate it! My only issue with iCloud is the fact that it provides only 5gb of storage for free, and I have about 6000 photos ↑↓ (translates to around 14gb) that I would like to move onto the iPhone. It's actually the primary reason I chose to get a 64gb iPhone SE instead of the 16. :)

Maybe I need to buy the extra space on iCloud, but I may just design a single-tier plan for organizing my photos on the device. But I'm hoping for an upgrade with iOS 11 . . .

I'd like to see subfolders in Photos as well, rather than new folders Apple forces on us that I don't care about.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site

I bought the dollar a month plan. 50 GB is plenty for me. I created a second account to off load pictures that I don't feel a need to carry with me every where, and 5 GB will go pretty far there.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought the dollar a month plan. 50 GB is plenty for me. I created a second account to off load pictures that I don't feel a need to carry with me every where, and 5 GB will go pretty far there.

Be careful creating new iCloud accounts on a device. You only get 3 per device. If you sell it, the new owner only has 1.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Of course here's another solution for me - although different in approach, but elegant -- and that is to be a little more creative with the folder titles and use the search function on the device. For example, let's say I vacationed in Denver two different years. Ideally I want to have a folder "Denver Vacations" with two sub folders "2000" and "1994". But I can also title two top-tier folders "Denver 2000" and "Denver 1994" and use the search function to find them easily. (Remember that I plan on moving about 6000 images to the phone, so it would be easy to "lose" these two folders).

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Of course here's another solution for me - although different in approach, but elegant -- and that is to be a little more creative with the folder titles and use the search function on the device. For example, let's say I vacationed in Denver two different years. Ideally I want to have a folder "Denver Vacations" with two sub folders "2000" and "1994". But I can also title two top-tier folders "Denver 2000" and "Denver 1994" and use the search function to find them easily. (Remember that I plan on moving about 6000 images to the phone, so it would be easy to "lose" these two folders).

Update: Using this method, I've moved about 4000 images onto the iPhone SE and it is working wonderfully. I created some keys for naming folders that, in conjunction with the search function in Photos, makes them easy to find.

For example, all of my images from vacations are in folders that start with the letters "Vaca", and the names of the folders are explanatory. The folder names are "Vaca Vegas 2014", "Vaca Alb 2010", etc. so I type "Vaca" into the search field and my Vacation folders appear. On folders with pictures of my kids and grandkids, each folder begins with their name. This works really well, and as a matter of fact is quite faster than navigating through a hierarchy of folders. So, in answer to my own OP about this I say: "Who needs hierarchies? Photos can be well organized without them."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2