Vanishing mail notifications from Notification centre- 10.3 beta 7

uandme72

Mar 19, 2017
Visit site
I am having issue of vanishing notifications in notification center for new mail on ios 10.3 beta 7 since beta 1.
The notifications for new mail either dont appear in notification center, or if they appear they disappear whenever the mail app is opened even if the mail itself is not opened.
Problem is not resolved even after Reset All Settings, restore from backup etc.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Mail section within the notifications settings and make sure that "Show In Notifications Center" is enabled.

uandme72

Mar 19, 2017
Visit site
All are enabled.
Yet no notifications on Notification Centre.
Restart, restore from backup, delete/ add mail account, hard reset etc all tried.
No solution.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
All are enabled.
Yet no notifications on Notification Centre.
Restart, restore from backup, delete/ add mail account, hard reset etc all tried.
No solution.

Did you try Reset All Settings?
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

And did you try a restore as new, not from a back up? A problem can be in the back up. A restore as new with iTunes on computer is best. Put a fresh copy of iOS on the device.

uandme72

Mar 19, 2017
Visit site
I have already stated I have done all.
However, every time when I clear the notifications from Notification Centre, the notifications stop appearing on the Notification Centre (NC).
Any notification that appears on NC vanishes whenever I open the Mail App even if no email itself is opened.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have already stated I have done all.
However, every time when I clear the notifications from Notification Centre, the notifications stop appearing on the Notification Centre (NC).
Any notification that appears on NC vanishes whenever I open the Mail App even if no email itself is opened.

You stated you restored from a back up. I suggested you restore as new, not from a back up. Connect to iTunes on computer and put a fresh copy of iOS on the phone. If that doesn't work, take it to the Apple Store genius bar.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You stated you restored from a back up. I suggested you restore as new, not from a back up. Connect to iTunes on computer and put a fresh copy of iOS on the phone. If that doesn't work, take it to the Apple Store genius bar.

Will the Genius Bar support an issue with a beta version of iOS? Isn't that something that should be reported to Apple using the Feedback app instead?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Will the Genius Bar support an issue with a beta version of iOS? Isn't that something that should be reported to Apple using the Feedback app instead?

Reporting the issue would be the first thing I would do. That's what beta is for. But I don't see anyone else on the beta with this problem. The Genius Bar might could shed light on it. It might or might not be a beta issue. The OP could delete the beta profile and see how it does. If the problem remained, I would then restore as new with iTunes for a fresh copy of iOS. That would remove the beta software. If that solved the problem, then add the beta back and see what happens.

uandme72

Mar 19, 2017
Visit site
1.) I had installed 10.2.1 as new using DFU mode (without backup restore), and then reproduced the issue. The problem remained.

2.) I installed 10.3 Beta 1 through 7 as new using DFU mode (without backup restore) in each case, and then again reproduced the issue for each installation. The problem remained in every installation.

3.) The vanishing of mail notifications from Notification Centre upon opening of Mail App (while no notifications or individual new or old mail is touched or opened), does not happen if the Clear button at the top right of the Notification Centre is not clicked and ALL notifications are not removed atleast once. Hence, the vanishing of notifications cannot be called an expected behaviour. This further implies that clicking the "Clear" Button at the top right of the Notification Centre is the cause of the flawed and erratic behaviour.

4.) Once the vanishing of notifications from Notification Centre has started, the vanishing act repeats even if "Reset All Settings" is done. The vanishing of mail notifications upon opening Mail App (without opening any new mail), stops only if the iPhone is reset as new using iTunes. But the behaviour again starts occurring if atleast once the Clear button is clicked and ALL notifications are removed.

5.) For argument sake, if we assume that opening and closing the Mail App (while no mail or notification is opened or even touched) is designed to clear all previous mail notifications from Notification Centre, then it is a completely flawed design. This prevents the user from viewing the new mail notifications even if he has not read the new mail, which it is not expected and desired.

6.) This current erratic behaviour is forcing the user not to click clear button for removing older notifications, as that would prevent subsequent newer notifications from appearing. This is also not desirable.

uandme72

Mar 19, 2017
Visit site
I would also like to tell that the erratic behaviour does not occur if we remove ALL older notifications by using the 3D touch method of "CLEAR ALL NOTIFICATIONS". The error occurs only when we use the cross button to click it multiple times to clear all older notifications.

I have also reported it through Feedback Assistant on the Beta.

Last edited: