Has anyone experienced better battery life by swiping apps?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that an app (OnSong) had a background activity of 4.4 hours (when I only used it for like 10 mins). My battery was horrible and I've noticed that it has been doing this recently (YouTube as well). I decided to swipe the apps away and do a hard reset (held Home + Power button until restart and Apple logo appears). I've noticed much better battery life today.

From what I remember, Background App Refresh shouldn't really effect battery life, and you should also not have to worry about ending apps. However, I've noticed the opposite recently. Does anyone else have experience or insight on this? I am on 10.1.1, iPhone SE with the TSMC chip (if that matters).

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Background app refresh doesn't affect battery life (some people argue it does), I've generally only kept it on apps I use the most. I haven't actually turned it off completely to check. Now I do sometimes have to end apps but that's rare for me.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Background app refresh doesn't affect battery life (some people argue it does), I've generally only kept it on apps I use the most. I haven't actually turned it off completely to check. Now I do sometimes have to end apps but that's rare for me.

So these "some people" would include the maker of the iPhone.

f5002edfe7f3ce6337f873b65c1e3fed.jpg

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

So these "some people" would include the maker of the iPhone.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/f5002edfe7f3ce6337f873b65c1e3fed.jpg

I think arguments can be made for both points, in that leaving BAR on leaves the door OPEN for apps to misbehave (thus Apple needing to include that), but that in GENERAL most people do not see a difference either way. I've gone days with it totally off and not noticed a difference (same for leaving it on). App updates could also effect how this works as well.

One thing I do wonder about, however, is that even when I disable BAR switch for all apps (the one switch at the top in the screenshot), it appears BAR is still on for apps but greyed-out when clicking on the app in settings. For example, if BAR was "on" for an app (prior to me switching the master switch off), and I go to that app in Settings, it'll show BAR on for that app but greyed-out. Does that mean BAR is still on, or what...?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apps run in the background whether Background App Refresh is on or not. BAR just helps the apps run in the background more efficiently, thus actually helping battery life. I keep it on for all my apps. As far as swiping apps out of multitasking, it can help. It depends on the app. Some have a tendency to go rogue and use a lot of battery. There's been times I swiped a few suspects out, then did a hard reset (reboot), then all was better. When I used said apps again, they performed better.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Apps run in the background whether Background App Refresh is on or not. BAR just helps the apps run in the background more efficiently, thus actually helping battery life. I keep it on for all my apps. As far as swiping apps out of multitasking, it can help. It depends on the app. Some have a tendency to go rogue and use a lot of battery. There's been times I swiped a few suspects out, then did a hard reset (reboot), then all was better. When I used said apps again, they performed better.

Your post is what caused me to do this and it seems to have helped lol

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm gonna have to disagree. It's obvious when you open an app that is not set to refresh that it is still in the same condition as when you closed in the past. It updates when you open it. It's very obvious with social media apps since they are typically a timeline. What makes you say that apps refresh even if you have them set not to??

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that an app (OnSong) had a background activity of 4.4 hours (when I only used it for like 10 mins). My battery was horrible and I've noticed that it has been doing this recently (YouTube as well). I decided to swipe the apps away and do a hard reset (held Home + Power button until restart and Apple logo appears). I've noticed much better battery life today.

From what I remember, Background App Refresh shouldn't really effect battery life, and you should also not have to worry about ending apps. However, I've noticed the opposite recently. Does anyone else have experience or insight on this? I am on 10.1.1, iPhone SE with the TSMC chip (if that matters).

Haven't really experienced a difference. Never heard of OnSong. I just leave my apps alone in the task switcher. My battery life is fine.

usmc8408

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
I have to agree with Apple and all the techies of the world......FINALLY!

I think it's all a myth that killing apps and background refresh saves RAM. Depending on the app I don't think most people would notice a battery difference either.

Resetting the phone may give you what appears to be a little while of "speed" but it's short lived.

I had refresh on all apps, and didn't force close a single app for a week. I got up to 67 apps open in the background by the end of the week. Then for a week I turned off refresh and constantly killed apps.

In the end I noticed nothing, nada, zip! It really is all in your head

Just my 2 cents.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Apps refresh when you open them, you can see it every time. Even the web browser do it if you open more than 2 tabs. IOS is very good at killing what's in the background so the system is always running smoothly.

MrJizac

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
I have noticed that apps are far better developed than they used to be. Ever since iOS 9 and now 10.1.1 I haven't had any battery issues. In fact its the best I have ever had on a phone. Better than the Android devices thats for sure. The only battery drainer I would say would be the actual phone app when on the phone for periods of time. Other than that I go two days without having to charge my iPhone 7 Plus. Then again, I work for a carrier and get to demo phones all the time. That being said Apple devices are definitely the most reliable and optimized. Amazing OS and app development. I was going to mention if you are having battery issues to take the phone into and Apple store and ask them to reload the software on your phone. This will wipe everything, however having everything in the cloud now a days, it makes reloading your phone with your info way easier. I did this once (rather than using iTunes) and the phone has been running incredibly well.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that apps are far better developed than they used to be. Ever since iOS 9 and now 10.1.1 I haven't had any battery issues. In fact its the best I have ever had on a phone. Better than the Android devices thats for sure. The only battery drainer I would say would be the actual phone app when on the phone for periods of time. Other than that I go two days without having to charge my iPhone 7 Plus. Then again, I work for a carrier and get to demo phones all the time. That being said Apple devices are definitely the most reliable and optimized. Amazing OS and app development. I was going to mention if you are having battery issues to take the phone into and Apple store and ask them to reload the software on your phone. This will wipe everything, however having everything in the cloud now a days, it makes reloading your phone with your info way easier. I did this once (rather than using iTunes) and the phone has been running incredibly well.

I would do that, the problem is my Apple Pay gets reset everytime I do a wipe like that. Sometimes it automatically authenticates itself, sometimes it doesn't, resulting in me having to call my bank. Because I have had to do this so many times, they're reluctant to approve the card on my phone so I refrain from hard resets from now on (Old National Bank sucks).

HBLEY

Banned
Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
The main issue with my phone is when it's at 40% or 30% and I am using 4GLte and open any app at that time for example Snapchat, my phone shuts down. And when I open it again using power button it says battery's drain (shows that logo when I need to plug-in it to charge).

Any help?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The main issue with my phone is when it's at 40% or 30% and I am using 4GLte and open any app at that time for example Snapchat, my phone shuts down. And when I open it again using power button it says battery's drain (shows that logo when I need to plug-in it to charge).

Any help?

Is it an iPhone 6s that you bought in September or October last year? If yes, then there is a repair program for the battery right now.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/#mn_p

You can check your serial number at that link to see if your phone is eligible for this program.

If that's not it, you may want to call Apple Care or bring it to the Genius Bar for diagnostics on the battery.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Don't bother swiping apps. Those stay in a suspended state until you go back in to use them again. They do not use any system resources nor are they actively in use while suspended, but allowing them to run in the background lets them check for information updates. If you run across a rogue app eating battery while suspended then submit a bug report to the app developer. The dev cannot fix the issue if you don't report it.

Allow the OS to operate the way it is intended to run, and report rogue apps that eat too much battery.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Any help?

If it's not 6s related, then it sounds like the battery is going bad. That's how they do when on their last leg. When my old 5 did that way, it was the camera. I'd get to 30% or 40%, then take a picture, and it would shut off.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Don't bother swiping apps. Those stay in a suspended state until you go back in to use them again. They do not use any system resources nor are they actively in use while suspended, but allowing them to run in the background lets them check for information updates. If you run across a rogue app eating battery while suspended then submit a bug report to the app developer. The dev cannot fix the issue if you don't report it.

Allow the OS to operate the way it is intended to run, and report rogue apps that eat too much battery.

This is how I understand it also.