Location tracked in airplane mode

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I took a trip to Iceland recently and had my iPhone 6 in airplane mode the entire trip. I had downloaded maps for offline use on the Google Maps app. I figured it would be useful for walking directions.

What I did not expect was the app was tracking my location. I was not connected to wifi when this happened. It occurred in remote rural areas and in the city.

I know the iPhone has a gps chip. Does the iPhone talk to satellites? In airplane mode, I would think it would be unable to communicate with towers.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Once upon a time, the GPS receiver on an iPhone was part of the phone that turned off in Airplane Mode... now, it's separate. And it's not a matter of "talking" to the satellites... Only being able to "see" enough of them an hear their signals in order to make a positional fix.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The only way to turn off GPS is to turn off the phone. GPS is beyond important for things like "Find My Phone" etc.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually have no problem with the location being tracked. I didn't think smartphones had any interaction with satellites. I was also mildly concerned that it was somehow pinging off towers and I'd get charged.

It's great that you can download maps for offline and still get your location. Very cool.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I actually have no problem with the location being tracked. I didn't think smartphones had any interaction with satellites. I was also mildly concerned that it was somehow pinging off towers and I'd get charged.

It's great that you can download maps for offline and still get your location. Very cool.

There will not be any data / charges for GPS.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The only way to turn off GPS is to turn off the phone. GPS is beyond important for things like "Find My Phone" etc.

Settings / General / Restrictions / Location services - turn location services off. That turns off all location, including gps, without powering off the phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit