Background App Refresh: On or off?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I leave it on but I disable apps that I feel would use a lot of battery life or don't care about getting notifications from.

How does disabling apps you think will use a lot of battery help? Apple added BAR to help those apps run more efficiently. Disabling them from BAR leaves them to run without the help.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd be happy to give up Facebook. I mostly use it to keep up with my grandkids. I use the Facebook client, Friendly+, a lot. It's kinder than the Facebook app.

We have a cat, no grandkids. The cat does not use FB, so I am in the clear... If I had family / remote family, most likely I would use it for that reason. Now it's just a business tool, under a business name. I get messages on my old personal account, asking if I am still alive, around. I never reply. They have my #, if they were honestly interested, they could call :p --- All that being said, I have most of the background app refresh off, except for basic essential tools.

St3ib

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I leave it off due to it eats up data. I don't need the latest content when I open an app, I can wait till it refreshes.
c4303606322944a2b9a11b0463a6f3fa.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have background app refresh off for most things, the little data it uses is just another little drain to add to other little drains, like sleeping apps waking and establishing contact with servers at regular intervals and your phone checking its wifi or data connections. Battery life I'm not so bothered about I can always plug devices in...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have background app refresh off for most things, the little data it uses is just another little drain to add to other little drains, like sleeping apps waking and establishing contact with servers at regular intervals and your phone checking its wifi or data connections. Battery life I'm not so bothered about I can always plug devices in...

So those apps running in the background without the help of background app refresh don't use data?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So those apps running in the background without the help of background app refresh don't use data?

From Apple:

"After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren’t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. With Background App Refresh, suspended apps can check for updates and new content.

If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. If you quit an app from the app switcher, it might not be able to run or check for new content before you open it again
."

I don't think that's true for ALL apps though. Take the default email app for example; it'll check for new email regardless of being in the app switcher.

All in all, as for my own personal experience I leave things in the app switcher and allow the apps that I use on a daily basis to run in the background. I think though that if I wasn't at my desk in front of my PC as much as I am, I would more than likely tighten things up a lot more to lengthen my battery life during the day.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
From Apple:

"After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren?t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. With Background App Refresh, suspended apps can check for updates and new content.

If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. If you quit an app from the app switcher, it might not be able to run or check for new content before you open it again
."

I don't think that's true for ALL apps though. Take the default email app for example; it'll check for new email regardless of being in the app switcher.

All in all, as for my own personal experience I leave things in the app switcher and allow the apps that I use on a daily basis to run in the background. I think though that if I wasn't at my desk in front of my PC as much as I am, I would more than likely tighten things up a lot more to lengthen my battery life during the day.

Yeah. I just leave 'em all alone for the most part. All my apps are toggled on for BAR. I leave it that way. Don't ever think about it. No issues doing so. No data issues, no battery issues related to BAR. I never close out apps in multitasking, unless an app misbehaves. Works for me! Lol